The Zone

SmellsLikeIan

Ever just get into the "zone"? I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. For me it's like I'm not thinking about anything anymore, just doing it. And those are usually my best moments. It's like in Waiting for Guffman where he says, "They learn it, then they forget it." Anyone else?

h8eternal

I'm sure everyone gets into the "Zone" in one way or another. but hell yea, it's best feeling, aside from sex.

break the prism

people always say that i look so emotionless when i play, even though i'm moving around a lot. i tell them that i pick one point in the room to focus on and just stare blankly at that point during the whole performance. that's my zone i guess.

MasterShake89

I like it when i get in the "zone" it feels like im completely on top of my playing and commanding all the music to the best of my ability. I'm told i make some weird faces....lol

anavrinIV

break the prism":3hp8hwbc said:
people always say that i look so emotionless when i play, even though i'm moving around a lot. i tell them that i pick one point in the room to focus on and just stare blankly at that point during the whole performance. that's my zone i guess.
i do the same thing...but i call that spot my rhythm guitarist. every once in a while ill look around for a minute. i realize when i watch a video of me that i very rarely look at my set, but when im behind it i feel like i stare at my equipment.

iatemygoat

at shows i like to look at different people in the croud and give them wierd looks. i think it makes them believe their more involved. other than that when im in the zone i think i tend to stare at my high hat and not really listen to anything else except myself.

often times when our vocalist is trying out a new vocal pattern i have to ask him to do it again like 3 times cuz i end up focusing on my own shit

SmellsLikeIan

MasterShake89":shi00ca6 said:
I like it when i get in the "zone" it feels like im completely on top of my playing and commanding all the music to the best of my ability. I'm told i make some weird faces....lol
YEAH! I used to make some strange twisted monkey faces before I started singing more.

alwaysdrummetal

Every musician knows the zone. Me and my friend kind of share it, he's lead guitar and he just kind walks next to my kit and gives me this look and it just happens. I hear some crazy shit out of him when he's like this, when we recorded it, it sounded amazing. Thats how we come up with our best work.

anavrinIV

TheYardstick":3lwi9x78 said:
I tend to stare at my shadow and watch it play.

Very weird habit, no clue how it developed.
during rehersals or when i play by myself i do the exact same thing...i hear the music and i feel it but its like the shadow is making the noise, not me.

and no, i dont do acid...

drum man

yeah its pretty sweet. nothing better then playing something really fast like a strait double bass role and everything just flows together with the rest of the music and you can just have fun with it.

stump

When I am in the zone I tend to close my eyes. It kind of feels like floating. And if you have not tried playing with your eyes closed, do it. You will be suprised at how accurate you are by just being tuned in to playing your kit. Peace.

vahnn

It's way harder to get into during small shows. But small shows love you when you rock to your fullest extent possible.

I think it's badass to play just as hard and in the zone as you can for 6 people as you do for 600.

I've been there, haha.

killdrum1983

well i just discovered what was the zone^^ but when i'm in the zone i tend to look at the crowd without really looking at it i'm basically concentrated on my play, the bass and the singer's voice... :D