THE WHO at the SUPER BOWL

okjohne

Was gonna do this post Monday but, been busy. Me, I liked it. I was surprised when so many trashed it. I think Zack Starskey (sp) does a great job. I've seen him, Simon Phillips and Rogers play the drums for The Who over the last 25 years. Never Moon. I would have been a baby. I like Phillips the best but I think Starskey channels Moon a little.

johne

TheYardstick

Roger Daltrey sounded great, Pete was way off.

You have to cut them slack, though. They're both in their 60s and Pete's mostly deaf.

okjohne

How bout those acrylic DW drums. Must have been custom. The lugs apeared to be from the Pacific line. I loved the cymbals too. All huge

Alan_

missed it when it happened. just watched it on youtube. it was alright. definitely shows how much space entwistle took up in their sound.

wmpdrummer13

I watched it live and whoever was running the sound board was probably fired after the show. You could barely hear the drums or bass all you could hear was the guitar and vocals. I think Daltrey sounded pretty good but Townsend was all over the place and it did not really sound too good. Starkey is a great drummer though too bad it was hard to hear him

Alan_

I thought Starkey did a good job of channeling moon's time feel and approach, the closest I've heard of him, kenny jones, and simon phillips. It lacks a certain randomness and "x" factor that moon had, but tbh moon wasn't playing nearly that good by the end of things. Plus, he didn't just straight up copy them...he gave some of his style as well. I give him kudos. He really got into the character of the songs.

I thought Pete's guitar playing was really good...vocals: give the guy a break, he's an old man, and he has some fuunky vocal technique. he sings a bit from his throat. also, he probably didn't think about the prospect of hitting those notes 40 years later when he recorded them, either.

Daltrey sounded good...I've heard him sound even better, but once again: I'm impressed at how well he can pull it off this many years down the line.

There was a bass player?! SERIOUS lack of Thunderfingers. RIP...but then again, the only people I could think of who would do a splendid job are Billy Sheehan, Geddy Lee, Doug Wimbish, or Les Claypool. There's a certain NASTY sound that I expect from the low end on a who song, and it just was completely absent.

okjohne

Nice Review Alan. Much like I was thinking. Zach has done the best at sounding "WHO" Rogers did a record with the guys so we must give him that. Phillips is a bad ass so that's what he did. I've seen the Who over six times with three different drummers but only one BASS. Borris The Spider... He's the man.

TheYardstick

Pino Pallladino is always the biggest disappointment to me whenever I watch more recent videos of The Who.

As John Entwistle would say, he's a bassist, not a bass player.