the thought of selling my kit

drumguy126

I have a Pearl Export Select, 5 piece. And I have been thinking about selling it. With me in college I haven't had much time to drum anymore, especially with my band breaking up about 2 months ago. I am missing a lot of parts on my kit, at least cymbal stands, my bass pedals were lost at a show, and etc. Maybe a good $1500 worth of stuff to get it back into the condition it was in prior to joining the band.

The sole reason for this happening was we practiced at our friends house, and their drummer and myself shared equipment and with that a lot of my stuff got broken, and he's a complete ass so I'm not going to bother confronting him about it. But do you think it's better to just sell it, or to keep it and get it back up and sounding good once again?

I was thinking, this could be a great opportunity to do what I want to with it, some custom additions to it, and cymbals that I would like to have, and maybe add a tom to make it a 6 piece. Give me some words of advice!

Scott_Hurford

first of all, if u can find the time to drum, keep the kit, u may find another band, as long as u dont REALLY need the money for anything else, use it to rebuild your kit, make sure u dont go broke from spending tho, keep some for other things. u may regret it if u sell it, unless u can sell it for a cheaper kit of course, thts always an options. hope tht helps...good luck

~Scott~

writheindecay

ill tell you the same thing a guy told me.

i was feeling down about my playing, i hit a major slump because i hadnt been able to practice for a few weeks, so i thought fuck it ill sell my kit. i posted it for sale online and a guy emailed me and said
" if you really want to sell your kit, go ahead, b ut if youre hitting hard times, fight through it, otherwise youre going to be sitting in a club with your girlfriend one night watching a band play and watching the drummer is going to make you crazy and youll wish you never sold your set."

iatemygoat

unless ur in need of money id say keep it. i swore to myself that iw ould never sell my first drum set. ever. no matter how much i needed money. i dont even play the damn thing. its stacked in a pile in the basement. maybe im a packrat or something but i think for the most prt it holds sentimental value to me.

my pearl 8 piece on the hand, im thinking of selling so i can pick up another mapex set. im thinking of going with a 6 piece M Birch. black forest green. looks amazing. and ive alwys loved the sound of a mapex

andybfrank

Take off all of the hardware and have a huge bonfire with those crappy Export shells. Later, when you're ready, order some new maple or birch shells and use the old hardware to make yourself a new kit. You'll actually save a lot of money by keeping the lugs and rims.

drummert2k

andybfrank":3avw667u said:
Take off all of the hardware and have a huge bonfire with those crappy Export shells. Later, when you're ready, order some new maple or birch shells and use the old hardware to make yourself a new kit. You'll actually save a lot of money by keeping the lugs and rims.
if you want, you can send the shells to me rather than burning them. poplar shells are better than nothing.......

i'd say keep it unless you really need money fast. its great to have a kit for practice or back up or parts or whatever.

andybfrank

drummert2k":3v0h0549 said:
andybfrank":3v0h0549 said:
if you want, you can send the shells to me rather than burning them. poplar shells are better than nothing.......

i'd say keep it unless you really need money fast. its great to have a kit for practice or back up or parts or whatever.
Yeah, I was kidding about the bonfire thing. It might be fun to keep the shells and do experiments on them, like making snare drums out of the toms or something like that.

nickbaldwin

andybfrank":375isdec said:
Yeah, I was kidding about the bonfire thing. It might be fun to keep the shells and do experiments on them, like making snare drums out of the toms or something like that.
Sounds like a plan. 16x16 snare anyone?