The right time for a new snare head?

michiganice91

I currently still have my ludwig factory snare head on my snare drum. I have had it for a while..and its taken quite a beating...and a bit of the coating is coming off now..i was wondering how much longer i should wait to get a new snare head. I also find it harder to tune now..maybe because the head is worn. Also I need some advice on what snare head to buy..i want a focused head (not too focused)..but i also want a deep punch to it. I was thinking about the Evans Genera Dry head. The snare is 14x8. Any reccomendations?

drummert2k

any time you're snare head shows major signs of wear including coating coming off and dents and stuff. especially when you say its hard to tune. the snare is aone of the most sensitive, and recognizable drums on your kit so you have to really keep it sounding its best. i never owned an 8 inch deep snare but i can tell you i have yet to play a snare with a remo emporer x that sounds bad. great fat sound. can be torqued for a high crack or tuned lower for a fat thwack sound.

skitch

michiganice91":4f210pfu said:
thanx man..anyone got experience with luddy snares?

Sure - what's the question?

You need to change out the head before it breaks on a gig. With coated Remo Ambassadors, I can always tell as the plastic starts to have a small chip in it which just catches on your fingernail!

Howepirate

iatemygoat":2c0kp0pt said:
i change it when it breaks. i just pray that it happens during rehearsal haha
Yeh im the same way. But before a gig or whatever i would change it if it was old

SmellsLikeIan

I change my snare head after about 3 gigs (maybe four if we have a couple short shows, like festivals). I do all my practicing on my spare snare drum or a pad.

If you want to keep with a ludwig head, you can order them from cascio or interstate.

iatemygoat":569bnujy said:
i change it when it breaks. i just pray that it happens during rehearsal haha
I hope you keep a spare snare drum on stage. I do, even as often as I change my head.

Hamlin

I use kevlar...It doesn't break as long as it's a stick hitting it and not knives. Sounds great. The top ply is all ripped up, still going strong. This is because I'm broke and couldn't change it if I wanted to.

(note)
Don't tighten the top head too much or the rim will bend on your concert snare (when using kevlar.) Put a metal ring from another head on the inside near the top to prevent this.

I don't really expect you to use kevlar though.

Kaos

since the snare is the heart of your set I change mine about every 3 to 4 months and more often when gigging or touring. I don't wait til they start sounding dead or start chipping. I recomend Evens reverse dot coated for a batter and hazy 300 for reso side, also I recomend puresound wires either the Blasters or the Customs both are great wires.

goatatl

My ears generally let me know when it's time for a head change; Not just for the snare, but the kick & toms as well, when they start to lose their tone\ timbre. I rarely break a head, they usually wear out first. If it's hard to tune, it's probably because it's pretty stretched out. I'm assuming your 8" Ludwig is wood, so it probably has a pretty deep. warm characteristic to it anyway. I use the Aquarian Hi-Energy batters pretty exclusively on all my snares, and am never disappointed. Great tone AND durability. Oh, and always, ALWAYS have a spare onstage.
G

jaredribble

Practice is one thing...I change those heads out when they break.

Gigs are another...I chance those snare heads out every couple months

Studio...I change those snare heads out every session. There is a world of difference in liveliness, and response with a new head. Gotta do it, or the mix engineer is going to be replacing your drum sounds with BFD, etc.

Ringo, on the other hand, said in a recent article in Modern Drummer that he never changes out his snare heads. He has some of the original heads on when he played with the beatles.

SmellsLikeIan

jaredribble":l5bg6511 said:
Ringo, on the other hand, said in a recent article in Modern Drummer that he never changes out his snare heads. He has some of the original heads on when he played with the beatles.
Ringo's not a very heavy hitter, so that won't be practical for many of us.

Gaddabout

jaredribble":tdm0ka7y said:
Practice is one thing...I change those heads out when they break.

Gigs are another...I chance those snare heads out every couple months

Studio...I change those snare heads out every session. There is a world of difference in liveliness, and response with a new head. Gotta do it, or the mix engineer is going to be replacing your drum sounds with BFD, etc.
These are all good rules of thumb.

xdoseonex

f your coating is starting to come off its definately time for a new head. I use the evans reverse power dot heads and they sound amazing. the power dot gives you more attack and more durability. I'm never liked remo heads. that what my dad used to play and thats what he started me on. but as i learned more about drums i found it apparent that evans was way ahead of theyre time.

michiganice91

xdoseonex":37gzcblz said:
I never liked remo heads. that what my dad used to play and thats what he started me on. but as i learned more about drums i found it apparent that evans was way ahead of theyre time.
most would argue remo the better company..or say they're the same..but u have ur opinion..i actually use an evans snare head..remo tom heads..and and aquarian kick lol..guess i cant argue any of the companies are better than the other.

phoenix7289

I have had experience with Ludwig snares and yah... you should just buy a new one. Think about it: worn, the head is having coating coming off, hard to tune... isn't it obvious man?! GO BUY A NEW ONE!!! XD The Remo Emperor X would probably sound good.... I like my Tama Power Craft Coated 250 though so meh. It is about 10 months old and still sounds really good! But I'll replace it sooner or later with probably some Remo, Evans, or Aquarian.

xdoseonex

michiganice91":35rgvmxh said:
xdoseonex":35rgvmxh said:
I never liked remo heads. that what my dad used to play and thats what he started me on. but as i learned more about drums i found it apparent that evans was way ahead of theyre time.
most would argue remo the better company..or say they're the same..but u have ur opinion..i actually use an evans snare head..remo tom heads..and and aquarian kick lol..guess i cant argue any of the companies are better than the other.
the reason i think evans is better is because theyre really with the technolocy. they have all these innovatice products and overtone muting systems. the ec line, the emad head. the J1's which are etched instead of coated. remo has nothing but the same standard heads theve always offered (as far as i know). technology has improved and we are capable now of making some amazing products. evans is really using science to improve our sound and i cant help but feel like theyre leaving remo in the dust