the "prodigy"

I Wear Emericas

Did/do you guys have those at your school?

I know there's this one guy at my school that everyone raves over. Just because he could pick up sticks in 7th grade and play Blink-182's I Miss You. Somehow he's become the most talked about/influentual drummer at my school. Everyone speaks of him. You say, "oh hey I play drums" you automatically get..."OH WELL WELL YOU'RE NOT AS GOOD AS BOB(not his name. haha) CAUSE BOB'S A PRODIGY!" I didn't say that in the first place. I stated I play drums. I do what I love and I certainly don't have to call myself a prodigy.
Oh well, just wondering. It's just kind of annoying. I don't mention drums anymore...for the sake of not hearing about Bob the prodigy.

Howepirate

I Wear Emericas":1c36vbaz said:
Did/do you guys have those at your school?

I know there's this one guy at my school that everyone raves over. Just because he could pick up sticks in 7th grade and play Blink-182's I Miss You. Somehow he's become the most talked about/influentual drummer at my school. Everyone speaks of him. You say, "oh hey I play drums" you automatically get..."OH WELL WELL YOU'RE NOT AS GOOD AS BOB(not his name. haha) CAUSE BOB'S A PRODIGY!" I didn't say that in the first place. I stated I play drums. I do what I love and I certainly don't have to call myself a prodigy.
Oh well, just wondering. It's just kind of annoying. I don't mention drums anymore...for the sake of not hearing about Bob the prodigy.
?I could play i miss you before i even knew what a 16th note roll was hah. Thats nothing to be proud of and dude, just keep drumming theres a difference between a prodigy who just happens to be good and some great dedicated person who devoted their lives to it and becomes a true great!

PaulZILLA

seriously. we had guys like that for guitar at my highschool, and they grew on trees and grew my nerves short. it gets to where ya dont even mention you play an instrument anymore. dont worry about that dude. what ya do is, ya practice up and challenge his so called skills, 9/10 tims these "prodigys" really arent that good. find out how good he really is by somebody who knows both of you, or hear him play. but overall dont get messed up about it. im just kidding about challenging him,unless you think itd be fun. drum battles can be fun as hell. dont let people bother you, there will always be those people. just do your thing and remember that when your on top of the game, you didnt have to claim to be a prodigy to get there. you worked your arse and hands to the bone and earned it, it turns out a lot more fullfilling win.

drummert2k

one thing that happens a lot in situtauioons like this is that theres so much hype over this one guy and all the great magical drumming he can do that as stories of his playing spread over the mysterious enchanted lands, people only hear the gossip and never the playing. so by the time he gets in a band and actually plays out, so many people expect to be blown away and when they actually see the show they end up leaving with the feeling that they expected more.

if you do anything, be the guy no one hears about and then go out and play and when everyone see's you make them think "wow, i never knew he could play like that."

dont get bummed out over it. i miss you by blink isnt anything someone can brag over. just worry about your drumming and when its time for you to play out, make sure you come out and just do your best and leave peolpe remembering the drummer they didnt even really know about.

pegleg

well, i'm not a prodigy. but because of my hand people were always thinking something along that line back in middle school. at the most, i was a little better than the other drummers. but that's not saying much, since i'm the only one out of the bunch who still plays.
but that was middle school. i've gotten 1000x better, but i'm still improving

Joezeppi

Brush it off and don't let it affect your psyche. No matter how good anyone is there will always be someone better.

shanemunzert

there all over the place. the people who start those rumors and who talk about it usually dont have a clue what there talking about.

BillRayDrums

There's always someone like that in every arena of life- it's called "keeping up with the Joneses". It's an unnatural way to do things, and usually the person who holds such talent grows bored with it and moves on to something else.

It's those that can exhibit a longetivity that really impress me. The older drummers in this business that are still doing it i.e. the "unsung heroes" are the guys I like.

stump

We all had those types in school. Way back when I was in school it was a guitarist that everyone raved about. He talked a good game but for some reason noone ever heard him play. My Brother, who is lead in our current band, freakin' shreads a guitar but he is modest. Hell one of the most modest and quiet drummers I know played in drum line with me and is now the drummer for Strecth Armstrong, John Barry. Don't mind the BS hype dude...99% of the time that is all that it is. Do your own thing and don't worry about "BOB".

Crash101

wait do you go to my old high school, cause i swear i have that very same kid little short dude, loves blink. i hate it, cause i walked all over him at a drum battle, and the only thing ppl notice is he's younger

madchops

a prodigy can play anything...not just your fast singles

myspace.com/madchops82

im no prodigy, but I can play