The MindfooD 'Monster'

Royspeed

Well, here is my kit, affectionately known as The Monster by the band. It is a bit of a cheat really, as it was the product of buying two five-piece kits off Ebay and combining them, with the addition of a few other bits. The stats are;-

22" Session Pro bass drum, with a Pearl double pedal.
Mapex 14" x 5" snare with Remo batter head.
2 x 10" toms, differently tuned
2 x 12" toms, differently tuned.
Tome above mounted on the rack.
Two 16" floor toms.
Cymbals are a mixed bunch.
14" Pearl hi-hat pair.
8" Paiste splash
16" Sonor crash (which I actually use as a ride!)
16" Stagg crash
20" Session Pro crash
22" Zyn crash

It is a bit of a mix and match, but it sounds OK, and it will do me for now, until I can afford to get an equivalent 'name' kit together.

Altogether, the whole lot cost me just over four hundred pounds, what with all the extra bits on top of the two kits.
And yes, I am a 'lefty'.
Comments?

Roy King,
Drummer, MindfooD

michiganice91

wow..thats crazy the way you have the toms mounted..I've never seen that before. That kits a bit messy..but "to each his own" right?? I'm to OCD to mix and match like that..but if your comfortable with it..I say why not go for it. Nice overall!

iampoor

michiganice91":1vtw5w7m said:
wow..thats crazy the way you have the toms mounted..I've never seen that before. That kits a bit messy..but "to each his own" right?? I'm to OCD to mix and match like that..but if your comfortable with it..I say why not go for it. Nice overall!
He toms are very Neil Peart I noticed. ;)

About the only other guy that plays like that I think :p

Brother_Bong

I was gonna comment on the unique way you have your toms mounted, I suppose you gain some stability that way, huh?
Hey, I like it, why be cookie cutter with kits.
It works if you work it! :p

cableman26

Awsome kit. If I were you I would think about changing those stock heads, and putting some reso's on. That said it's your baby, and I like it. :D

Royspeed

The main reason that I do not use resonant heads on my toms is that over time, I have found that with my style of drumming I can project the sound better with the heads off. And if you heard how loud our guitarist plays, you would agree that I need all the help I can get! LOL
The setting of the toms on the rack is so because it is the only way I have found to be able to fit all four drums on there, I only have a basic rack, being unable at present to afford extension bars at the sides, so it works for me.

Sometime in the New Year, when I have an inheritance coming my way, I will be able to replace the heads. I am a heavy rock drummer, can you advise and recommend the best heads for me to use?

BTW, I use 7A nylon-tipped sticks, and I have only had two tips come off out of 24 sets, so they are standing up fairly well so far.

Roy.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

If I remember correctly, Vinne Appice and Phil Collins didn't use reso heads and their drums always sounded fine. It does give it a unique sound too.

Rock on man!

Shogun

pdp

That kit looks pretty fun to play actually. (except the whole lefty thing)
And, about the heads, I like Evans G2 clears, but I don't know how they would sound with
no reso's. Remo pinstripes might sound alright.

dwtoast72

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":1vyy7wxv said:
If I remember correctly, Vinne Appice and Phil Collins didn't use reso heads and their drums always sounded fine. It does give it a unique sound too.

Rock on man!

Shogun
Phil Collins still is without resos..

Nessmaster

Wow, I've never seen such a creative way to mount toms. I have two kits, one with reso heads, one without (both sound good IMO). I might try mounting like that on the one without reso heads just for the hell of it! :lol:

Royspeed

Bump, for newer members that have not seen this LOL.

I am considering losing the highest-tuned rack tom to make it just three toms on the rack, it will give the drums more space and they will resonate better. I am also looking at getting a two-leg hi-hat stand, as getting the right position for the DB pedal is a pig. I currently have a Pearl hi-hat stand, can anyone recommend the best of the two-leg ones?
Having seen Nutha Jason playing the other night, I am hoping to get some Vater click-lock cymbal units, as they look a lot easier to use than a pile of wingnuts! LOL.

As I said earlier, a new set of cymbals is the main item on my shopping list, I am thinking of Zildjian.

Roy.

mindfood":387b397i said:
Bump, for newer members that have not seen this LOL.

I am considering losing the highest-tuned rack tom to make it just three toms on the rack, it will give the drums more space and they will resonate better. I am also looking at getting a two-leg hi-hat stand, as getting the right position for the DB pedal is a pig. I currently have a Pearl hi-hat stand, can anyone recommend the best of the two-leg ones?
Having seen Nutha Jason playing the other night, I am hoping to get some Vater click-lock cymbal units, as they look a lot easier to use than a pile of wingnuts! LOL.

As I said earlier, a new set of cymbals is the main item on my shopping list, I am thinking of Zildjian.

Roy.
dw 9500 or the pdp boa.

both incredible stands.

Royspeed

Well, I have finally got round to taking a few more pics. I have reskinned the whole kit, with Remo Ambassador heads on the toms and kick drum, and a Controlled Sound Remo Emperor batter head on my Mapex snare.
I am only using three rack toms now, and have added more cymbal stands, so I can use all eight cymbals I have, not counting the hi-hat.
When I get the chance, I want to refit the entire kit with Paiste 2002 cymbals, so I have the same make of cymbals across it, rather than the mix'n'match I have now.

Overhead of the new skins

Me playing, showing the cymbal layout

Roy King
Drummer, MindfooD

Jiyo

Well this kit is definitly different, I would think if you can fit the toms on ur rack the way you have them, you just need to reverse the tom mounts and maybe angle them a little and they will fit the same way but thats up to you! I use remo emporer heads great for rock drumming due to their double ply and I think they sound awesome as well (IMO) And oh bye the way tell ur guitarist to lower down and let the PA do the work it will sound 100% better as well, good luck!

EOTE_drummer

mindfood":2bp4jzg2 said:
The main reason that I do not use resonant heads on my toms is that over time, I have found that with my style of drumming I can project the sound better with the heads off. And if you heard how loud our guitarist plays, you would agree that I need all the help I can get! LOL
The setting of the toms on the rack is so because it is the only way I have found to be able to fit all four drums on there, I only have a basic rack, being unable at present to afford extension bars at the sides, so it works for me.

Sometime in the New Year, when I have an inheritance coming my way, I will be able to replace the heads. I am a heavy rock drummer, can you advise and recommend the best heads for me to use?

BTW, I use 7A nylon-tipped sticks, and I have only had two tips come off out of 24 sets, so they are standing up fairly well so far.

Roy.
no reso's was very popular in the 70's and 80's. called concert toms. that was the goal back then, to make em louder to be heard over guitar amps. it was usually to much trouble to mic drums, or they didn't have the equipment.