the dreaded triplets...

I Wear Emericas

so basically anyone I talk to about playing double bass jumps right into "can you play TRIPLETS?"
well, the hell if I don't really know what those things are.
If I'm thinking correctly it's almost like a gallop sound...?
I dunno, someone please explain them to me and I'm definitely gonna work on them

thank you!

drummert2k

a triplet is a group of three notes. you have 8th note triplets which the 3 notes are equal to 1 beat. you have quarter note triplets which the 3 notes span out over 2 beats. you have sixteenth note triplets which the 3 notes take up equivilent of an 8th note. these are all examples of triplets in common time or 4/4. if you're in 12/8 or something similar, the triplets are actually eigth notes.

but playing triplets on double kick is really easy. it is slower than playing 16th notes, but faster than 8th notes.

if you're unclear with what a triplet is i recommend getting yourself a good book and learn to read notaion. not to be able to sit and play through a chart but to understand better how the notes you're playing on the kit line up in reference to time.

break the prism

some people refer to doing "RLR" with your feet a "double bass triplet"
that's just like playing "RLR" with your hands. it's not a triplet.

a triplet is hitting the drum so the stick bounces three times."RRR" or "LLL"
it is the same with your feet.
you don't need double bass to play triplets
bonzo used single-foot triplets (most significantly in Moby Dick)
steve gadd is well known for single-foot triplets.
having double bass gives you the ability to do them twice as many times in one measure. it also requires the use of your left foot.
this requires fast feet, but no faster than what it requires to do a single-foot triplet

drummert2k

break the prism":29zzxatg said:
a triplet is hitting the drum so the stick bounces three times."RRR" or "LLL"
these are actually refered to as 3's.

the most common triplet is the eigth note triplet which is three hits (alternating hands) per beat. if you get into anything like RRL sticking then you're getting into swiss sticking and a world where people like me who have no life and actually know lots of the hundreds of rudiments and hybrids out there.

BillRayDrums

Poor ol' triplets. They aren't the evil monsters you speak of.

Patterns to use-
|| : RLR LRL : ||
|| : RRL RRL : ||
|| : LLR LLR : ||
|| : RRL LRR LLR RLL : || (double strokes)
|| : RLR RLR LLR LRR | LRL LRL RRL RLL : || (paradiddles) Notice on the paradiddles, it takes two measures for them to resolve themselves.

Now if you want to raise the bar, look at the alternating version of Triplets:

|| : RLR LRL : ||

See the way they switch every beat? Add two extra notes in there:

|| : RLRLR LRLRL : || <--Quintuplets. Put a snare hit on the second (and 4th beat, where applicable) and you have a sort of "groove" concept.

How about....

|| : RRLLR RLLRR LLRRL LRRLL : || <--double strokes over quintuplets

|| : RLRRL RLLRL RRLRL LRLRR | LRLLR LRRLR LLRLR RLRLL : || <--paradiddles over quintuplets.

Get those down....

Enjoy!

~B