The Best kit for under 1000 bucks?

The Heel

I want a new gigging kit.

But man, the choices are just crazy now.

I know 1000 will get me a decent gigging kit... but theres so many choices now of what certainly appears to be good quality stuff.. its so hard to choose.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this...

I've seen the Gretch Catalina lines... with their Birch, Maple and Ash kits and am interested in them...

And an Ash kit for 599? Thats just sick.

Though Yamaha just make the Maple tour customs for 999.

Then theres the PDP kits what with their 20 or so variations that are so hard to keep track of....

and then of course the Mapex birch and maple kits.

I'm sure I'm even leaving some out here...

So what is the best kit under a grand?

Spydr2000

Ddrum bro. I'm getting my second kit probably by friday it ships today. Same as my blue one with the 26" kick.. but this kit is orange. Hit me up on my space and come check them out.

Kyle

drummaman

oh ok, are you looking for cymbals and all the hardware in that same budget or just the kit and the drum hardware?

also what style are you playing?

anavrinIV

i agree with the superstar. they will have the best hardware and with almost solid birch shells (good birch, not the real cheap stuff) they sound amazing. they wont let you down.

The Heel

drummaman":2txgupel said:
oh ok, are you looking for cymbals and all the hardware in that same budget or just the kit and the drum hardware?

also what style are you playing?
I dont need to replace my gigging cymbals. All Zildian, 14 and 16 Custom As, 17 Custom Dark K, 10 and 12 Custom A splashes, 14 inch Dark Custom K hi-hats, 20" Custom A Ping Ride, 18" Dark K Custom China.

Hardware I have tons of. Gotta use my Gibralter Nitro Bicycle throne, my DW9000 double kick pedal, Pearl Eliminator hihat and light single braced stands.

I play multiple styles gigging out. More rock than others, but also R&B, hip hop, funk. The main band I'm working with does a lot of Dave Matthews, Chilli Peppers, etc.

See I was never floored by Tama. I remember seeing Spyro Gyra and thinking "Man those drums dont sound that hot". Theres just something about Tama that never made me fall in love with them.

drummaman

well id recomend the Mapex M series (possibly with a different snare)

is it possible for you to try these kits at a local drum shop?

The Heel

Yeah but I dont just wanna sit down for 6 hours walking in. (Which I end up doing anyway).

I take forever to pick out anything... so at least if I have some opinions from other drummers walking in... maybe that will help steer me into a smoother buying process.

The Heel

Wow, maybe I'll have to give them another look.

I'm very surprised at the volume and enthusiasm given for the Superstars... especially with the other kits available at this range... like the Yamaha Maple Tour Customs, the Maple, Birch and Ash Gretch kits, the birch and maple Mapex kits and the Maple and Birch PDP kits available.

anavrinIV

The Heel":2c470a2v said:
Wow, maybe I'll have to give them another look.

I'm very surprised at the volume and enthusiasm given for the Superstars... especially with the other kits available at this range... like the Yamaha Maple Tour Customs, the Maple, Birch and Ash Gretch kits, the birch and maple Mapex kits and the Maple and Birch PDP kits available.
i suggsted the superstars because they are an amazing set for the money, and i also perfer the sound of birch to maple.

the pdp kits dont impress me that much, especially the birch kit. theyre a little overhyped, imo, for what they produce. gretsch kits are great and i do love the sound of the catalina birch but ive heard a lot of complaints about hardware from owners and a lot of people say that the smaller toms are hard to tune becase they only have 5 lugs. ive never played the yamaha maples but since they have a higher line of maples (the custom absolutes) im pretty sure that this isnt up to par with the sound. the superstars are very solid sounding drums with a lot of punch and depth, the hardware that tama produces is second to none, imo, and its extremely easy to find add ons since the series is very popular. if you dont like them then someone will be very willing to buy them from you.

grey_fox

drummaman":2zp4gfi4 said:
how much is 1000 dollars in english pounds?
around 550 but american kits are always cheaper but importing them will cost about the same as buying one in England

The Heel

Jeeze its that bad now?

I guess its about as good a time as ever for you guys to hit the States for a vacation. Heh.

Yay for the American Dollar being worth jack.

spursauto42

pacifics (pdp)
made by dw
from $500 to $699
maple or birch
hell, i've seen pros use them
same shell packs as dw, just not timber matched
best i've heard for the price