The best crash cymbal to use as a ride?

drumdug

I see a lot of drummers using a large crash cymbal to use as a ride. Or even using a ride cymbal in the same manor (not hitting the cymbal on the surface, hitting it on the edge like you would hit a crash cymbal only repeatedly like a ride). what is the best cymbal to use for this?

rufus4dagruv

drumdug":1ngdrrl1 said:
I see a lot of drummers using a large crash cymbal to use as a ride. Or even using a ride cymbal in the same manor (not hitting the cymbal on the surface, hitting it on the edge like you would hit a crash cymbal only repeatedly like a ride). what is the best cymbal to use for this?

There is NO SUCH THING AS THE BEST. There can only be the best for YOUR SITUATION. Without the details to your specific situation, and an idea as to what kind of sound you are looking for, i.e. dark or bright, clean or trashy, etc, the question cannot be answered realistically.

drumdug

ok, fair enough. let me rephrase: what do you use or what would you use? what are the pro's using? i am in a rock band and also the drummer for my church. i currently own a 22" paragon ride and a 21" AA rock ride. i'm thinking these are too heavy for such use.

rufus4dagruv

drumdug":3bk4wzz4 said:
ok, fair enough. let me rephrase: what do you use or what would you use? what are the pro's using? i am in a rock band and also the drummer for my church. i currently own a 22" paragon ride and a 21" AA rock ride. i'm thinking these are too heavy for such use.

Well, because there are so many manufacturers making cymbals, there are quite a few options. One thing to remember is that a "ride" cymbal with very crashable qualities will generally much lighter and washier than the cymbals you're currently using. Also, a defined stick sound will was out as the volume increases.

Ride cymbals are generally shaped differently than crash cymbals to keep the wash in check with lighter weight cymbals. Characteristics such as flatter profiles mixed with flanged edges and a small bell, will help control wash.

That being said, going in the other direction, there are larger, heavier crash cymbals that can be used as light rides. I have this 19" Zildjian that started it's life as a Medium thin crash. I sent it off to cymbalsmith Mike Skiba who lathed over 100 grams off of the top and bottom, and did some edge hammering which helps keep the wash under control. I use this cymbal in situations where I take just 1 cymbal and a set of hats and it works quite well. It's got a hint of trash, but just a hint, with a higher pitch that is inherent to a lot of Skiba's creations.

I also like the 19" Paiste Dark Energy crash. These generally weigh in between 1650 and 1750 grams, have a beautiful crash and some ride capabilities.

In Sabian, the HHX Groove ride (21") has a lot of mojo of 60's Zildjians. A buddy of mine uses one in his funk band and it kills as a ride and a crash.

I have a Bosphorus 21" Turk ride that while pretty heavy, 2690 grams, is completely crashable and incredibly musical. I guess what I'm saying is, there are a LOT of options out there. Good luck.

Jimbob2020

I use a 21" Meinl Byzance Trad. Medium ride as a crash ride and it sounds superb :D I also use an A custom med. ride on my kit