Tension rod grease?

mastinofpuppets

Ok, what kind of grease/lubricant do you guys use on your tension rods?

The ones on my snare drum seem pretty dry and actually creak a little when tightened. Not sure what works the best so any information you could provide would be helpful.

Thanks!

mastinofpuppets

DRUMSMYWIFE":dhz0phee said:
Ionno I just some WD 40 to clean them out. I don't actually use grease!
I thought about that but wouldn't WD40 dry out?

I know that when I change a head I get some kind of grease on my fingers.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Airborne Ranger

When I bought my Ludwig set it came with Ludwig grease in a small plastic container. I've also used 3-in-1 Oil with good results. I've never tried the LP lube but I'd certainly give that a try too. A lot of people seem to swear by it, so next time I'll buy some. The thing to remember is to not go crazy with the grease, just enough to work.

SGarrett

christopherabruce":9z5767c0 said:
I use white lithium grease, available at any hardware store.
I was thinking about that, since it's great for automobiles. Maybe some clear assembly lube from VatoZone? If it's good enough for torquing connecting rod bolts it should be good enough for tension rods. :D

christopherabruce

Zep makes a thread lubricant for outdoor/corrosive conditions. Got some in work yesterday for our technicians, but the name escapes me.

SGarrett":1oz8xhou said:
christopherabruce":1oz8xhou said:
I use white lithium grease, available at any hardware store.
I was thinking about that, since it's great for automobiles. Maybe some clear assembly lube from VatoZone? If it's good enough for torquing connecting rod bolts it should be good enough for tension rods. :D

skitch

I use a little bit ( I mean a little) of lightweight machine oil which you can find a at a fabric store for sewing machines. You can use it one your lugs and bass drum pedals. WD-40 really isn't a lubricant.

zen_drummer

skitch":2nizt92r said:
I use a little bit ( I mean a little) of lightweight machine oil which you can find a at a fabric store for sewing machines. You can use it one your lugs and bass drum pedals. WD-40 really isn't a lubricant.
3 in 1 Oil is pretty good stuff for the job or any light machine oils, as Skitch indicated seems to work well for me. I've heard Marvel Mystery Oil is good, but it seems too thick to me.

D. Rumble

Petroleum Jelly or Vaseline. Used that for years and it works wonders.
No more than $2 for a big jar at the pharmacy around the corner.
Dip ever rod about 1/4" into the jelly, is all you need...

d.

quikstang2

I wouldn't use WD-40. All it will do is make things squeak faster, for a day or two. It also has some water in it so you'll get corrosion.

I've used white lithium before, which worked great, but I took the lugs off to refinish the drums and there was all sorts of dried up white lithium cake on the inside of the lugs. Depending on your finish, that might not be good. And it probably holds moisture.

As for oils and lubes... I'd rather go with some sort of grease since that's what most drums come with. The LP stuff seems cool though.

I don't see anything wrong with Vaseline, just don't go crazy with it.

If you're looking for a grease, take a drum into some auto parts store/garages and show them the grease to see if they know of anything similar. Don't use the black grease that they put in u-joints or suspension bushings... that's a mess.

PaulZILLA

DO NOT USE WD-40, it will eventualy cause it to rust. i found out the hard way. that LP oil stuff is insane. i use 3:1 oil on my pedals when t hey are new, and then i use a silicon sealing grees after about a week of breaking them in. (i got it from a trombone slide greese kit from marching band). ive been wanting to try some graphite loaded greese hehe. its hard to get ahold of. but it works for hi tension, heavy weight locks and door hinges, so i think that it will do good for pedals(super quiet too)

jdrum60

The best thing I've found for this is Silicon Lube Gel... It doesn't evaporate OR attract dust...I have 3 drum kits and i keep them up pretty well and I'm still using the tube i bought in 1986!! I got it at Radio Shack but i Imagine u can get it at any electronics supply store. I just put a little dab on the end of the rod before putting the heads back on it works great. When i go to clean there's no dust or anything and the rod is still lubed...it stays on there forever! I used to use 3-in one but it attracted TONS of dust and was pretty messy. Check it out!

Palryo

D. Rumble":2cgjfhbz said:
Petroleum Jelly or Vaseline. Used that for years and it works wonders.
No more than $2 for a big jar at the pharmacy around the corner.
Dip ever rod about 1/4" into the jelly, is all you need...

d.
yeah i agree. It works well and its really cheap.