Teach yourself, or lessons?

Jum-Bo-Lya

Ive been drumming for 3 yars and I have had absolutally no lessons, and not to brag or anything, but im pretty dang good. How did you learn, and would I learn even more If I had lessons?

Howepirate

Jum-Bo-Lya":317e46to said:
Ive been drumming for 3 yars and I have had absolutally no lessons, and not to brag or anything, but im pretty dang good. How did you learn, and would I learn even more If I had lessons?
i had a year of lessons that i felt was pretty much a waste of money..thanks to the internet ive found more sources here and through forum boards and drummers videos that helped me excel much more quickly.

I find just sittin on youtube for a bit watchin crappy drummers and pros give me a mix of creativity to throw at my drums and such.

I guess lessons would have been different if my teacher hadnt stopped drumming for like the last 15 years and we had a drumset to use, not just some flippin drumpad but there is a valuable lesson to learn from anyone who has any experience under their belt. You just gotta listen and apply.

drummert2k

lessons are very important. even if only for a year. you have an extra set of ears and eyes with the experiance needed to correct the small things you dont notice while you're playing. its easier to fix these things at the beginning of your playing or else you'll basically have to "re learn" a bunch of stuff to correct yourself.

Scott_Hurford

drummert2k":34podg4u said:
lessons are very important. even if only for a year. you have an extra set of ears and eyes with the experiance needed to correct the small things you dont notice while you're playing. its easier to fix these things at the beginning of your playing or else you'll basically have to "re learn" a bunch of stuff to correct yourself.
i've never had lessons, but what u say is true, some things u can learn from a teacher tht u cant learn on your own.
But then again teachers dont always teach u everything, some things u gotta learn on your own i find

drummert2k

yeah, now a days you can find out pretty much anything you'd want to know on the internet. but i just am a huge fan of lessons because if you're playing wrong or a part wrong or learn something wrong, a teacher can correct it. if no one is there to correct it you may have to re learn a bunch of stuff down the road.

druming=life

i've been taking percussion lessons for almost a year now, but i've taught myself on the drumset, if i could find someone to give me drumset lessons i certainly would so long as i felt the person knew what they were doing and weren't out just to make a bit of easy cash, and i am also one of those persons who sits around watching youtube solo's good and bad and always looking for new ideas to add to my file, anyways lessons are always a plus, but its still possible to be a great musican without any form of lessons

Robin Graves

i think both lessons and finding out on your own are equally important. i'm self-taught and i think i'm alright, but lessons are another way to build on what you already know (or don't know).

trstn

Lessons are important, espacially for my bank account, because I had 2 young guys learning the drums from me. Teaching drums is also a very good occasion to think over one's own technique and stuff.

I had a good drum teacher at university and I got a few private lessons from a pro friend who showed me how to hold my sticks right ...

I say its vitaly important for every instrument to receive the basics by a teacher who knows his stuff. Wrong practiced habits are difficult to correct.

If you want to be "good" try to find some advice. Drumming videos are good too. I have a few Weckl videos which helped me with stick control.

infiznitch

without drum lessons, you are essentially playing the drums the way YOU think they should be played... not the way they SHOULD be played. besides, even just the knowledge you can gain from a more experienced percussionist can really help. I mean, do any of you honestly think that you will be able to find the best drum techniques, exercises, practice tools, and solo techniques simply by watching youtube? well... if you do, then you are wrong. Most of the cream o' the crop drummers only use a handful of soloing techniques. The thing that makes guys like Gadd and Weckl so effing cool is that they can use those techniques a million different ways. The goal those guys had in mind was not to be good at EVERY solo technique in the world. But to master a few of them and make them their own. THAT is what makes great drummers. I know it seems like i went off on a tangent there, but the morale of the story was, that to properly learn those badass solo techniques that the great drummers use, you need a great drummer who KNOWS those techniques inside and out, to teach you to use them for their full potential.

**sigh** i know that only covered a small portion of the many many many benefits of lessons, but i don't want to rant all day... because i could, and no one would want to read it haha

Susanboy

I think it's not as important to have lessons, but it is important for someone to tell you how you sound. Behind the kit, we hear things with drummers ears. We have to hear things with audience ears. Having somone else hear what your playing is important

If someone else hears you they can tell you, "No, that sounds bad, do THIS." And you won't belive them. And when you listen to the song you'll think "Wow, that would have been better had I done THAT"

brandon8robinson

In the 5th grade I did snare drum in band, and that tought me how to roll but I don't count it as a lesson.

If you're really bad, and people tell you you're bad and you know that you don't have rythm or stick control, take lessons because they work.

If you feel like you can play good and getting better don't get them.

Like you said, you're pretty dang good, I bet you are pretty dang good without lessons. :D

I think it's cool if someone wants to take lessons. But, I think it really limits your creativity. You take lessons from someone, you're gonna play like that person and leave out your own personality in your pieces. Knowing the fundamentals and playing rudiments are something you can teach yourself. Just go out and play what you want to play the way you want to play.

Flatliner

allthatremainsrst":1c0ql7cq said:
I think it's cool if someone wants to take lessons. But, I think it really limits your creativity. You take lessons from someone, you're gonna play like that person and leave out your own personality in your pieces. Knowing the fundamentals and playing rudiments are something you can teach yourself. Just go out and play what you want to play the way you want to play.
I would say it is the exact opposite in terms of creativity. If all you know is yourself, that seems pretty one-dimensional, you listen to other drummers and are influenced by them and they become part of your style right? Unless you are a robot that just copies what someone else is doing I would have to argue that lessons will also help you define yourself by figuring out what you like about your teacher and what you don't like about their style.

Piddywiffle

drummert2k":o0vgkj3e said:
Amen. Im starten a once a week lesson program next week. Mostly I want him to teach me new and improvised rudiments and also run some different times with me. Since it's hard for me to expand outside of 4/4 or 3/4 without the aide of a visual interaction.

Either way i'm excited :x

Piddywiffle

allthatremainsrst":24kwdny3 said:

Not so much, I think that with the aide of rudiment and timing you learned from someone you can expand your limits farther. If your self taught (like me) and can only play well with 4/4 and 3/4 (like me) then you will find yourself stunted.

The only thing holding me back is me. I don't think the drum instructor will be mad if you make up your own beat and work with it :? They want you to be creative and prosper from their teachings. All they do is provide tools to do that for yourself.

And as for play like them? I doubt it. No one can forcefully change the way you view your drum set. If you look at your set and see the metal gods throne, then it will always be the metal gods throne. A drum instructor will never change that. Nor, as said above, can they change the way you think. Only person that can do that is yourself. So if I wanna play continual 16th with my feet. I can. But maybe after a few lessons I can play 16th on bass and roll the toms with a wide variety of rudiments or even play my feet in 3/4 and my hands 4/4 or whatever you wanna do. What they teach you are just tools and open more doors to become a greater drummer.

THE END
Starring:Me 8)

Mikkey

Lessons, lessons and lessons. Yeah, you can always ditch the teacher down the road but studying under someone is very important for a number of reasons. You can watch videos on Youtube.com and instructional videos all you want, but those sources CANNOT critique your actual drumming and give suggestions. There is no interaction in your playing without some degree of lessons. Hell, I'd say even if you have played for 25 years you should still take lessons. I do whenever I get the chance and it always gives me the opportunity to look at something differently or see something through someone elses eyes. No matter what, with lessons (from someone competent) I'm always learning something new.

Krisch

I've been having lessons for about 2-3 years now, and they do help, and I doubt i would be as good as i am without them, but all of my best fills, techniques, beats, inspiration etc has come from other sources like videos on the net, watching drum solos and getting transcripts.

trstn

loop":n4i1s9o0 said:
jayusl":n4i1s9o0 said:
It can't hurt. Can it?

only your pocket :wink:
hehe yes and no ...
If you are lucky you'll visit a friend's new reheasal place, and meet his neighbor, and minutes later you have a few sixpacks and 3 drummers sitting around a snaredrum .. :D