Tax time soon and I'm thinking new pedals......

a58chevy

So once again i'm thinking about getting a different set of pedals.

I started out with Iron Cobras as my first double for 5 years. They were Power Glides and they served me well for the drumming I was doing at the time that usually used the doubles only for fills. Then I joined my first metal band and I saved and bought myself a pair of Axis XL-2's. They were great until about 3 weeks into owning them the linkage between the pedals stripped out. I tried replacing the screws several times and finally gave up, took them back to where I bought them and came home with a apir of DW9000's. I liked those guys, but they never felt as nimble as the axis and after playing with them for a year I decided it was time for a change. I traded them back in after I was waiting around to buy something at GC and started messing around with a pair of Pearl Eliminators. After convincing the guy to let me change cams in the store I was impressed by the reds so I bought them and have had them on reds ever since.

So after all this I'm really considering blowing my tax return on a pair of Trick Bigfoots. If anyone can compare their experience with switching to Tricks from another pedal I'd appreciate hearing what you did or didn't like about them. Unfortunately I'm in Washington and no place actually stocks the pedals. The closest place I found was in California. On the other hand I did get to check out a pair of the standard pedals when I met Randi Scott outside a gig in Seattle. He was going to let me play his kit but they guys hauled it off stage right away so I never actually got to play on them. I'm nervous about going for a mostly blind buy, but I really miss that feeling of the direct drive and the longboards but don't want to deal with axis again.

rufus4dagruv

Zen Drummer uses Trick pedals, but I do not know if it's the Bigfoots. Either way, I'm sure he can give you the straight up deal on what they're all about.

m

I have a single Trick, it's not the bigfoot, but my main pedals are Axis shortboards, so it's a pretty close comparison.

The Tricks are very solidly built and have some great engineering aspects. I really like the hoop clamp assembly, and you can adjust just about everything you'd ever want to adjust without getting off the throne, and it uses a drum key for most adjustments.

Feel-wise it's close to the Axis. To me, the Axis is more fluid and light; I'd say the Trick is a bit more 'rigid,' for lack of a better word, but not by much. Maybe that's the compression spring, or the fact that everything is enclosed and super-sturdy. It's still very smooth. If you're dead-set against owning Axis again, I think the Trick is your next best bet; to me it's the only brand in the same class (direct drive, high-tech)

I play heel-down a lot, and the place where I feel the most difference is on fast doubles with the pedal. The 'reset' motion feels different to me than the Axis, that's where I feel a more rigid motion in the Trick. For heel-up pounding away, I don't really feel that much difference. For players who don't use that particular motion often, I'm not sure they'd notice much difference.

a58chevy

m":31iutdte said:
I have a single Trick, it's not the bigfoot, but my main pedals are Axis shortboards, so it's a pretty close comparison.

The Tricks are very solidly built and have some great engineering aspects. I really like the hoop clamp assembly, and you can adjust just about everything you'd ever want to adjust without getting off the throne, and it uses a drum key for most adjustments.

Feel-wise it's close to the Axis. To me, the Axis is more fluid and light; I'd say the Trick is a bit more 'rigid,' for lack of a better word, but not by much. Maybe that's the compression spring, or the fact that everything is enclosed and super-sturdy. It's still very smooth. If you're dead-set against owning Axis again, I think the Trick is your next best bet; to me it's the only brand in the same class (direct drive, high-tech)

I play heel-down a lot, and the place where I feel the most difference is on fast doubles with the pedal. The 'reset' motion feels different to me than the Axis, that's where I feel a more rigid motion in the Trick. For heel-up pounding away, I don't really feel that much difference. For players who don't use that particular motion often, I'm not sure they'd notice much difference.
I could see that. I recently played on another drummer double bass pearl kit. He had a pair of X-L's. Reminded me how much the kick ass. I would consider getting them again but I only have one kick and the thing that gave me the most hassle was the linkage between pedals. Also, I can't afford to have something break again and wait around 4 weeks to get parts it. I wish they'd take the time and re design a few things and catch up with demand. If they made some changes I'd be willing to try again.

dahlgrendrummer

The drive shafts in Axis is definitely there weak link. I've gone through one so far, and my second is stating to get play in it right now :cry: When it works, it works VERY well though...

a58chevy

I just put in my order for a Trick Bigfoot Double. If things work out I'll see them Monday or Tuesday as I called to make sure they were in stock. Anyone want a pair of Eliminators? :lol:

zen_drummer

rufus4dagruv":37pbra0b said:
Zen Drummer uses Trick pedals, but I do not know if it's the Bigfoots. Either way, I'm sure he can give you the straight up deal on what they're all about.
I've got the bigfoots.

Personally, I think they are the best pedal ever made. I played Axis A's (not the longboards) before them, and Axis is really an exceptional pedal as well, but I like the Tricks much better.

Yep... they are not cheap. I think they are worth every penny though.

a58chevy

Finally got them all I can say they're everything I imagined. Already cleaned up a few of my more technical foot passages! Extremely easy on the legs as well!