Taping the Bottom of Cymbals?

Alcyon

Who does this? I see a lot of people, particularly post-hardcore guys like Jesse Ingelevics and so forth, putting black tape in squares underneath their cymbals. Why would you do that? Does it make them less washy? Many people in the genre I play kind of ride their crashes or use their crashes to keep time, particularly during choruses, and I was wondering if it might be good to throw some tape on.

screamkevin

Alycon,

Guys that do that are looking for a shorter decay time from their instruments. Taping them removes the ring and in essence, "deadens" the cymbal. IMO, it's totally defeating the purpose of the instrument itself, and it's an asinine thing to do. You can try it, though.

KeefAlmighty

I used to do it at one point because I thought my crash was 'too loud'.
Was a newbie back then and have since learnt you just need to let that cymbal ring!
Let it do what it was meant to do and if its still too loud for you, well then its time to look for another cymbal. :wink:

iatemygoat

ive only actually seen people do this in videos. particularily from the late 90's. it takes away the ring so you can hear the song you recorded easier and still make it look like your playing normal.

i did it for a video my OLD band made when we were in highschool. i didnt use a bass pedal either haha.

iatemygoat

waterbrokenvoice":1lvoj11w said:
Drummers do that in music video, so that the sound of the cymbals arn't louder then the music, so they can hear it.
isnt that pretty much exactly what i just said?

screamkevin

iatemygoat":2e0w4fnx said:
waterbrokenvoice":2e0w4fnx said:
Drummers do that in music video, so that the sound of the cymbals arn't louder then the music, so they can hear it.
isnt that pretty much exactly what i just said?
No. This is what you said.

ive only actually seen people do this in videos. particularily from the late 90's. it takes away the ring so you can hear the song you recorded easier and still make it look like your playing normal.

i did it for a video my OLD band made when we were in highschool. i didnt use a bass pedal either haha.
Sorry, just being a smartass. :lol:

DolFan54

A lot of the old jazz guys did that too. I agree with Keef, if you need tape, you might be using the wrong cymbal :lol: