Tama?

Scott_Hurford

what is your favorite sounding Tama drums?

Starclassic Maple?
Starclassic B/B?
Starclassic B/B EFX?

or perhaps one of the lower level models?... i want to know your opinions on Tama drums :roll:

tiffsboy

I really like the Tama Rockstar Custom(discontinued) as I am a fan of the mahagony shells, but I would say for upper end go for the Starclassic Maple.

anavrinIV

superstars are excellent sets. i personally like the performers and the bubingas (id really like to try a full set thats set up right, but from what ive heard theyre awesome) but the superstars are amazing drums for the money. if you cant spring for the performers then the superstars are an excellent choice.

Rob Crisp

I know it's all about money at the end of the day, but i just bought a Starclassic Performer Birch Bubinga and it's got some serious balls! It's also got some great tones to it when required too.

I love it and am SO glad I chose that kit. I couldn't be happier!

loop

I currently have 100% birch Performers and love them to death. I don't think I'll ever want to sell them. Great quality(I have an older, Japanese model), stunning finish, lots of tone and power.

Gazdkw82§

tama make food shells but there service sucks. i ordered a starclassic in custom sizes and the delivery just kept getting put back and after 7 months i lost patience. i purchased a DW instead out of frustration

quikstang2

I've got the 9-piece double bass Rockstar set with an extra 8" tom and I thought it sounded great until I played a Starclassic Maple.
...but if I got a new set, and could afford any line, I'd go with birch.

anavrinIV

phoenix7289":n9y9e6zy said:
I have a Swingstar set....
=(
I don't have the money.... *sigh*
swingstars can sound great with the right heads and tuning...dont be ashamed to play a low end set when you can blow people away with the sound. a lot of people complemented me on my set when i changed the heads to coated g2s/g1s. the toms are deep and punchy and the bass with the emad is powerful and boomy. the snare is the weakest point on the set but my spaun covers that....

phoenix7289

anavrinIV":2li8v6d7 said:
phoenix7289":2li8v6d7 said:
I have a Swingstar set....
=(
I don't have the money.... *sigh*
swingstars can sound great with the right heads and tuning...dont be ashamed to play a low end set when you can blow people away with the sound. a lot of people complemented me on my set when i changed the heads to coated g2s/g1s. the toms are deep and punchy and the bass with the emad is powerful and boomy. the snare is the weakest point on the set but my spaun covers that....
Well I don't use the snare. I bought an Artwood. My tom toms, no matter how much I tighten them, always want to just fall kinda... down, and end up hitting the bass drum... *sigh* I personally would rather have AT LEAST a rockstar... but I'll go for a superstar. Because the swingstar doesn't have the Starcast mounting or w.e for the tom-toms. And I do need new heads.

Dale

phoenix7289":9tgs7qcf said:
My tom toms, no matter how much I tighten them, always want to just fall kinda... down, and end up hitting the bass drum....
It sounds like you have some stripping in the threads. You should be able to get this fixed by the tech at a drum shop.

phoenix7289

Dale":22wn0xln said:
phoenix7289":22wn0xln said:
My tom toms, no matter how much I tighten them, always want to just fall kinda... down, and end up hitting the bass drum....
It sounds like you have some stripping in the threads. You should be able to get this fixed by the tech at a drum shop.
You know what I think it is? I think, that since it is a Swingstar, it does not come with the Star-Cast mounting system that Rockstars and above come with. Swingstars are a bit crappy in some ways.....
>.>

anavrinIV

phoenix7289":25buapf3 said:
Dale":25buapf3 said:
phoenix7289":25buapf3 said:
You know what I think it is? I think, that since it is a Swingstar, it does not come with the Star-Cast mounting system that Rockstars and above come with. Swingstars are a bit crappy in some ways.....
>.>
if it means that much to you then take your tom mounts off, get some rims mounts, reattatch the tom mounts to the rim mounts, and mount them on the bass. like dale said, some of your threads may be stripping (i personally havent had a problem with mine in over 3 years) and the mounting system wont help that at all but do what you must. you can replace the entire tom post and you shouldnt have a problem (if its the ball and socket piece thats giving you problems).

marqeric

First, I love my TAMA's!!!

In my current band situation which is an Iron Maiden Tribute band based out of Austin, TX I use my TAMA Granstar kit which I got in '89. I continually receive great compliments from folks on the sound of those drums as they continue to impress me due to their reliability and durability. I agree the TAMA snares are weak as I have a discontinued LEGEND snare drum on my set and that is a powerful kiss ass snare.

My practice kit at home is a TAMA Rockstar kit and even though I was a skeptic it has done well. As long as you tune it properly it packs a strong punch except for the snare of course. I have a TAMA Artwood Maple on this kit and once again if tuned properly has a nice crack to it.
Note:
Aquarian Hi-Energy heads have been extremely good to my snare drums in providing the sound that I am looking for.

TamaSwngstr121

I currently have the "low end" swingstar series...but honestly i love them, and i think they sound awesome!!! But, im yet to play a nicely tuned starclassic, and i would love to hear how those sound!

By the way, swingstar (was when it was still in distrobution) the best kit on the market for under $700 in my opinion, and ive heard the pearls, mapex's, and ludwigs.

But again, these things all just come down to personall preference