Tama Starcast mounting system

quikstang2

I've got a set of Rockstars from like 2001 that have the Starcast system that clamps onto the rim instead of being integrated in the rim like the Starclassics.

I always thought the Rockstars were just bad at staying in tune but I used a few of them with out the suspension system and they stayed in tun just fine. I just put them all back together and set them up with the suspension system and they all went right back out of tune in a matter of minutes.

Do both versions of the Starcast system behave like this or is it just this version?

Something I just thought of... would the angle I have them at cause them to go out of tune easier? To describe the angle, they're a lot closer to being on their sides than being flat.

MasterShake89

I think the falling out of tune aspect would have more to do with where and how hard you hit the drum itself and how much bounce and tensions is being put on the rim and mount thereafter.

Mxpxdude189

I have a Tama Rockstar from I think 2003 or so. It's really a beginner sort of kit and can't really get a great sound out of it comparitively speaking. I just use mine for practice, while i use a Pacific CX maple kit for shows, which stays in tune great. With the Tama I only use 1 of the 2 rack toms, but I put it on a snare stand, so it isn't suspended. The tom does seem to get loose pretty fast, but then again i haven't changed the head in a while, since i only use it for practice. Make sure your heads aren't dead (a bunch of dents and you can't see through a clear head) If i were you, I would just save up for a new kit, all maple shells sound very warm and nice. I want to get a Starclassic maple kit, or DW. But that's when I have a lot more money.

But uh.. the Rockstar is good to start on, but it can't compare to all maple Pacific shells for the price (shell pack is about $650-700 at guitar center). It's pretty cheap considering it sounds almost exactly like a $2,000 kit, with the right heads.

I hope this helps.

mlumpkin13

I play the '03 Rockstars too, and I love the Starcast mounting. I get killer sound out of my drums and I tune low (similar to the Godsmack drum sound) and the only problem I have ever had is my 13" rack tom going flat after a couple of good jam sessions. But I think its the drum or even the lug assembly itself because it's only one lug that does it.

quikstang2

Thanks for the replies so far guys, keep 'em coming.

MasterShake89":1cogv0p2 said:
I think the falling out of tune aspect would have more to do with where and how hard you hit the drum itself and how much bounce and tensions is being put on the rim and mount thereafter.
How about when I don't hit them? That's where the problem is.

Mxpxdude189":1cogv0p2 said:
I have a Tama Rockstar from I think 2003 or so. It's really a beginner sort of kit and can't really get a great sound out of it comparitively speaking. I just use mine for practice, while i use a Pacific CX maple kit for shows, which stays in tune great. With the Tama I only use 1 of the 2 rack toms, but I put it on a snare stand, so it isn't suspended. The tom does seem to get loose pretty fast, but then again i haven't changed the head in a while, since i only use it for practice. Make sure your heads aren't dead (a bunch of dents and you can't see through a clear head) If i were you, I would just save up for a new kit, all maple shells sound very warm and nice. I want to get a Starclassic maple kit, or DW. But that's when I have a lot more money.

But uh.. the Rockstar is good to start on, but it can't compare to all maple Pacific shells for the price (shell pack is about $650-700 at guitar center). It's pretty cheap considering it sounds almost exactly like a $2,000 kit, with the right heads.

I hope this helps.
I'd like to get a new set and if/when I do it'll be a Mapex M Birch. I'm a big fan of birch and I like Mapex's ITS system. Maple is nice too, but not for me. The Rockstars have been really solid mid-range drums and they sound great for what I've used them for and they were $2000 with tons of great hardware and 10 drums. I'm not a big fan of the Pacific stuff, but hey, to each his own. (I don't buy anything at Guitar Center, or Scam Cash, down here... no good.) My heads are fairly new, not too new and not beat up either. BTW, MxPx rocks!

dave lynch":1cogv0p2 said:
My Starclassic Maples stay in tune and I love that system..!!
Thanks for the input man. If I end up keeping this set I may look into upgrading to the Starclassic (which sound beautiful btw) or Superstar versions of the Starcast system. It just physically seems better to me.

quikstang2

Figured it out.
I just had them mounted at extreme angles. I flattened them out a bit and haven't had a problems since.