Tama Iron Cobra: Power Glide, Rolling Glide, Flexi Glide

Ludwig24

I will be purchasing a Double Bass Pedal soon and most like the Tama Iron Cobra will be my selection. I was also really looking into the DW 9000 but I can't really afford $500 for it right now. I can get a Tama Iron Cobra off Ebay for probably around $200. My question though is which of these 3 subdivisions would be right for me? I went to the Tama website and read all three descriptions and it seems the Power Glide would be better for the Rock and Metal I will be playing since it adds speed and power to the end of the beater stroke. However, the Rolling Glide is supposed to return quicker which seems to me would allow for faster playing. Then the Flexi Glide I have no idea about because I've never dealt with strap pedals so please share your opinions and facts so I can make the right choice. Thanks!

Hack_and_Slash

I've tried all three of those for a decent amount of time. I would say the normal Power Glide felt the best. They took the least amount of effort from my feet. When I tried the rolling glide, I couldn't tell what its purpose was. I didn't know that they were meant for quicker returns. To be honest, you don't have to worry about this one, the normal power glide is more than responsive on returns. The flexi glide, I can't really tell you anything, I didn't like the feel of it compared to the other two. It wasn't bad but it just felt like it was all me and the pedals weren't doing much. It's hard to get them to "work for you" I guess. This is why I can never get used to strap/belt pedals. It felt like I tied a foot board to each foot and just kept stomping them on the ground. I guess it's cool for slower stuff, but if you're playing metal, it's gonna be a bitch to keep constant double bass beats.

Ludwig24

Yeah, it says the Rolling Glide returns the footboard to normal position quicker for faster playing but I don't really see the point when the Power Glide speeds up the end of the stroke and increases power. Seems no contest to me but wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot for your help!

screamkevin

I use the T.IC Rolling Glide Double Pedal in my band (80's Metal Tribute). I've been using it forever, and it fits my playing best. I don't play anything fast, but the action of it does allow me to play faster, since I have a very heavy foot and no problem with power anyway.

Ludwig24

Will I be losing any Speed if I go with the Power Glide over the Rolling Glide or any Power if I go with the Rolling Glide over the Power Glide? I'm not really sure what the difference is between the two so I'm not sure of which route to go. Thanks for any opinions and advice!

screamkevin

Best bet is to find your local music store or large music shop and try 'em both. Each one can be tweaked for your preferences, it's really not that big a deal.