Talent Show Gig

Tgaff08

My church was doign a talent show and needed more acts. So I thought I'd call some of my drumline friends and we could do a little drum jam, me on drumset and my friend on quads/tenors. Then another friend from the drumline asked if he could play with us also only he wanted to play guitar. After recruiting a bass player we started practicing. Since I wanted to work the quads into a normal rock song we decided to play Zeppelin's Moby Dick with an improvized/trade off drum solo between set and quads that led right into D'Yer Mak'er. All the first generation Zeppelin fans were excited to see an old classic come to life. Or total practice time was prob. less than 6 hours and our performance was full of flaws but the non-drummer audience couldnt tell and thought it was amazing. I love tricking people into thinking I'm the next Bonham.

repludwig4rl

It sounds like you really had a blast.Thats cool thst your church let you do that.I was wearing my Led Zep shirt and my Pastor freaked.Haha.Well I would love to have an experience lke that.Your a real lucky guy.

DrumFiend0206

repludwig4rl":2iqqj7op said:
It sounds like you are a very inexperienced musician and should never let John Bonham's name come out of your mouth ever again.And no you will not be the next Bonham.No offense though.

That's pretty harsh, he was just trying to share a cool story with some drummers. I have to say, it's pretty inventive and cool. We're supposed to be a clan here, not hate on each other.

As for the song, I LOVE that song. My guitarist and I play it live at shows, and the drum soloing is pretty much improvised every time. That's just a really good, fun song to warm up with.

zen_drummer

repludwig4rl":16oh3344 said:
It sounds like you are a very inexperienced musician and should never let John Bonham's name come out of your mouth ever again.And no you will not be the next Bonham.No offense though.
Wow, man, that was not nice at ALL! We're here to SUPPORT each other (if possible). Plus, How can he become an experienced musician without going out there and doing it?

Tgaff08. It's cool that you spent the time, worked out a special arrangement for the show, and pulled it off. Congratulations!

Spydr2000

dinovalentino":2sjpall7 said:
Really, man. THat sounds cool. Don;t hate the dude. If you're gonna aim, aim high!
Well atleast he picked a GREAT drummer that he wants to be, he could said he wanted to be Lars Ulrich.

luiss009

yeah i agree that was pretty awesome

and come one we all love john bonham so we shouldnt be saying crap like that to each other

Tgaff08

Wow, thanks for the support from that somewhat mean comment. Im fully aware that me and my friends can NEVER do justice to nor be as good as Led Zeppelin. one thing that i would like you to know is that bands from my high school are mainly 4 chords, lyrics about love, and cheap drum grooves (which gets really annoying). me and my friends wanted to bring a different taste, a kind of throwback. plus like i said earlier, all the parents who were Zep fans in the 70s loved it. call this my disclaimer, i will NEVER be as good as Bonham. im sorry for the misunderstanding if there was any.

repludwig4rl

Whoa dude i am so totally sorry dude.i would have never said that.My little brother that thinks hes all that said that crap.Im really sorry dude.my stupid lil bro dosent even play a instrument.Dude i think what you did is awesome.its actually pretty darn awesome.I love that idea man.More power 2 ya.And Im so sorry about that man

Flatliner

repludwig4rl":3jcgbugv said:
Whoa dude i am so totally sorry dude.i would have never said that.My little brother that thinks hes all that said that crap.Im really sorry dude.my stupid lil bro dosent even play a instrument.Dude i think what you did is awesome.its actually pretty darn awesome.I love that idea man.More power 2 ya.And Im so sorry about that man

you can edit your original post, like put a note at the bottom, that way we don't get more posts of peple angry at you because they read that and nothing else.

don't have sibling but friends do and they do that stuff all the time, its annoying.

Dailey

Lars Ulrich is actually a decent jazz musician. But heavy metal.... haha. That's a different story. But on the jazz side, he played with Miles Davis and Stan Getz for a while. Maybe metal just keeps him from showing his talent? hahaha

ccrdrums

thats friggin sweet dude you must go to an awesome church i wish i could do something like that congrats man

Gaddabout

That's cool, man. My church denomination had something called "Teen Talent," and even had a drum set category. The only problem was finding music minus one recordings that fit the strict category: it had to be worship or praise music (or at least something akin to CCM).

I settled for a pianist's rendering of Amazing Grace. My performance consisted of me playing grossly way too many notes and diddles with brushes over a very somber, stolid rendition of a traditional hymn.

The judges said I sounded like Buddy Rich! LOL

Dailey

I guess the Judges werent too familiar with Buddy Rich? hahaha. Im just jokin... Im sure Buddy woulda played a mean rendition of amazing grace.

Gaddabout

Dailey":3ryp0ybe said:
I guess the Judges werent too familiar with Buddy Rich? hahaha. Im just jokin... Im sure Buddy woulda played a mean rendition of amazing grace.
No, they didn't have a clue what Buddy Rich would sound like. And I was definitely cheating with the paradiddlediddles sounding like singles.