Switching Between Genres

Alcyon

I play in both a post-hardcore band and a metal band, and I find that I need really different settings for each, especially in regards to the bass drum and such... For metal I use all my toms with a clicky tight bass drum for double kick, but when I hardcore I switch to a four piece jazz setup with a punchy low kick.

It's a lot of effort to tune back and forth and I can never quite get the same sound when I tune back. I can't afford a new kit, either. What should I do? It seems like whichever band I'm more into at the time gets priority and the other band loses out, and right now I don't really feel excited about my metal band because I don't have another kick to dial in my tight sound in on. It's so frustrating! How do you guys deal with this?

BillRayDrums

You're gonna get real good at tuning. As for me- I blur the lines between genres, as I am active in many bands. I have a fairly standard tuning that works across-the-board.

break the prism

i found that either type of tuning could sound good for both metal and hardcore. i play in a rock band and a jazz band, and i use the same tuning for each, i just change my snare and some of my cymbals. i'd find a type of tuning that can fit with any genre.

phil-drummer

if ya wana go all out , get 2 snares, id go for a bigger main snare na samller (* maybe 10" side snare ) then , if u want different bass drums sounds, get a 2nd bass drum ( if u hav one ) n chuck a dubble pedal one of n a singel on the other, thus give 2 snare sounds and 2 bass drums sounds, it works for me

balefullybenign

i have never done it, but a friend told me that two quarters placed inbetween two layers of duck tape on your base drum where the beaters hit will give you a real nice clicky sound. i don't know what the effect of the quartes will have on your head, but it might be worth your trouble to try that so that you can leave it tuned for the hardcore, but add the quarters for the clicky metal sound. just a thought...

TheAmericanRuse

balefullybenign":3f8gxc5a said:
i have never done it, but a friend told me that two quarters placed inbetween two layers of duck tape on your base drum where the beaters hit will give you a real nice clicky sound. i don't know what the effect of the quartes will have on your head, but it might be worth your trouble to try that so that you can leave it tuned for the hardcore, but add the quarters for the clicky metal sound. just a thought...
thats a bad idea, the beater will rip through that duct tape so fast, then your beater will be getting stuck to the head and thats not fun at all...

Best thing to do in your position right now is just find a middle point in tuning until at least you can get a 2nd kickdrum.

i'm currently in three bands:

a punk band
an experimental / instrumental band
a pop band

my set up differs from each band, but the tuning stays the same minus the snare.

i just found a happy medium as far as tuning goes. it just seems like a big hassle to have a completely different tuning for each band, unless you've got two kits.

i'd just try to find one tuning you're happy with for both.

the snare tuning is different (punk - tight, other two bands - fat) but that can be changed in a matter of minutes.

FelterSkelter

My opinion is that your kit should sound like YOUR kit. Try not changing anything and rather just get the kit the way YOU want it to sound and play. One of the great things about musicians is when you can hear something you've never heard before and you can tell who is playing it by the tone and timbre.

CANNIBAL

I play in a death metal band and a grind band. I find the problem that when i play in my grind band my set is just too big and i really don;t need all the stuff plus i try to play for death metalish and tech stuff up.
I think what i;m gonna do is just start ussing my super shitty odl set for my grind band to give ti the look and sound of grind hahaha and won;t be confused and play to metalish

vahnn

Alcyon":ed27b6v9 said:
I play in both a post-hardcore band and a metal band, and I find that I need really different settings for each, especially in regards to the bass drum and such...
i know exactly what you mean.

while it's nice to get a specific sound for each band, i'd say find a tuning in the middle (as many many have said before me), and it will give you a unique sound for each style. the "post-hardcore" typically like that low punch, that's the perfect way to describe it, and the metal needs the precision of the tight bass sound. but right in th emiddle is where i prefer to stay.

or, like billyray said, you'll get really good at tuning, which, if you have the patience (i don't) is DEFINITELY the way to go.

it seems most drummers have a hard time being able to get their drums to sound exactly like they want, so if you get lots of practice in maintaining your different sound for each style (and eventually others), more power to ya.