sushi for beginners

BillRayDrums

nutha jason":3cgylrae said:
here's a video i made of my lovely wife making sushi. its like a cooking show.
step by step instructions inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVa0JPzBjDI

j

ps: as i type this i'm bursting with the wonderful stuff. burp!
I eat sushi about 4 times a week. Something about the oil in fish that I feel helps my brain function. I mean, if I don't have salmon a few times a week, I feel it.

Lately I'm into Himachi (Yellowtail), as well as the toro (fatty tuna).
Soooooo good!!

You have a cool wife.

Empyrean Drums

Thanks for the video. I love cooking and I’m fond of sushi, but I never thought to make it – until now
My only issue is living in the mile-high city translates to being 1500 miles away from the shore line. We have some great livestock, but the sea food leaves a bit to be desired (maybe I can substitute some fresh river trout)

nutha jason

empyrean drums - surprisingly, frozen fish still works. in fact a lot of what we think is fresh fish is actually fast frozen out at sea in the factory ships anyway. just defrost the fish slowly in the fridge. river fish should work (watch out for bones) also try smoked fish. try to findout if there is a japanese district in your city. they usually find a way to solve the supply problem.

m - sure.

BillRayDrums - hmmmm, fatty tuna ... drooool.

SmellsLikeIan

Wow. I'd thought about starting a sushi thread a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the prep instructions. I love sushi. There's a place I go about an hour away that has really good sushi, a large variety, and $1 happy hour sushi from 4pm to 6 pm monday thru friday. And there's a China King buffet about 30 min. away that has cheap sushi all the time, but not a large selection. I like the salmon, red snapper, california rolls, triple fish rolls....Pretty much all of it...But I'm not a fan of squid sushi....too tough and chewy.

ChrisNichols

I work in a seafood shop and we have a sushi bar, so I eat tons of the stuff...it's really good with smoked salmon, or my personal favourite unagi (smoked eel).

nutha jason

jealousy from me.

yes, i also love the eel. my favourite is the salmon eggs though. looks like i'm eating nemo's siblings. each egg pops deliciously in my mouth.
j

FatherTime

Let me be the first to say U suck... :wink:

I'm gonna have to get my wife to do that. I love sushi and living in California I have a sushi place on every corner. There are even fast food type restaurants where they serve sushi.

Favorites are Softshell crab rolls (spider roll), Spicy yellow tail hand rolls, and tuna sashimi. Mmmmm tuna sashimi.

Thanx for the video Maybe I'll give it a shot

FatherTime

nutha jason":3dojk13f said:
california??

looks like i'm in the wrong place.
Yeah but it's soooo expensive. I went to lunch at a place called the Naked Fish (built in an old Taco Bell) for lunch last week and it was almost 40 bucks just for me. That's crazy.

cableman26

FatherTime":3ri5vfe2 said:
nutha jason":3ri5vfe2 said:
california??

looks like i'm in the wrong place.
Yeah but it's soooo expensive. I went to lunch at a place called the Naked Fish (built in an old Taco Bell) for lunch last week and it was almost 40 bucks just for me. That's crazy.
Damn!!!! I would've wrangled you a fish out of the ocean, and cut it in small pieces for ummm.... $33.50

Brother_Bong

When I worked on the waterfront, I used to eat live raw Scallops and Shrimp, sometimes fresh urchin roe. Does that count? But, really I do enjoy me some good Sushi.