Superkick II or EMAD

Filter

Yeah...Which? I've heard great things from both so I'm undecided, and since they are a bit expensive it's not like I can try both unlike tom/snare heads. I'm a beginner but I am mainly interested in Rock/Alternative/Post-Hardcore

king_friday

i do like the emad, it is a nice skin. however i think the superkick II is a little better. it has a really nice punchy sound to it, its easy to get it to sound good. im using a superkick II right now and i am very happy with it.

GrindheadJim

I gotta go the other way and say EMAD 2. I think Evans' heads are more consistent, and the EMAD system offers more versatility.

PDP9000

I like the EMAD it a nice head for the bass drum and its better then the super kick
three. and it offers you more muffling with the two rings that come with it.

SGarrett

This is how I've always looked at it. An EMAD head is great for guys who don't know how to tune or aren't all that great with their tuning yet. It's hard to not get a punchy sound from one. But if you can tune, SuperKick heads are fantastic. The felt ring floats with the head instead of being stuck to it like EMAD heads, which allows more tone. And when you get right down to it, it's all personal preference. I play the SuperKickII/Regulator combo and couldn't be happier.

Jim, take that little white sticker off the counter-hoop of an old Evans head some time. You'll love the huge gap staring you in the face. That's one of the reasons why Aquarian heads are more consistent than Remo and Evans.

GrindheadJim

SGarrett":3kjuhayi said:
This is how I've always looked at it. An EMAD head is great for guys who don't know how to tune or aren't all that great with their tuning yet. It's hard to not get a punchy sound from one. But if you can tune, SuperKick heads are fantastic. The felt ring floats with the head instead of being stuck to it like EMAD heads, which allows more tone. And when you get right down to it, it's all personal preference. I play the SuperKickII/Regulator combo and couldn't be happier.

Jim, take that little white sticker off the counter-hoop of an old Evans head some time. You'll love the huge gap staring you in the face. That's one of the reasons why Aquarian heads are more consistent than Remo and Evans.
SGarrett, I have to agree with you that EMAD's are kind of dummy-proof. That said, those who can tune can get a lot of sounds out of them, depending on the application. The EMAD 2's I've used do not have the foam rings stuck to the heads; they're loose. A good friend of mine swore by Aquarians (Superkicks included), but I just felt the sound had no tone at all - it was all punch.

But, as you say, it's a matter of preference.

screamkevin

I won't use Aquarians. How much stock can you put in a company when their main advertising thrust is a ridiculous flat-out lie? *Snorts* Tap Test my ass.

SGarrett

GrindheadJim":42oidkkx said:
SGarrett":42oidkkx said:

SGarrett, I have to agree with you that EMAD's are kind of dummy-proof. That said, those who can tune can get a lot of sounds out of them, depending on the application. The EMAD 2's I've used do not have the foam rings stuck to the heads; they're loose. A good friend of mine swore by Aquarians (Superkicks included), but I just felt the sound had no tone at all - it was all punch.

But, as you say, it's a matter of preference.
I do agree about the EMAD. But I can make my kick sound like a sub-woofer depending on how the resonant head is tuned.

Scrogs

An EMAD came with my new kit, first one I've had, I think its great, only problem is the plastic
peice that holds the felt broke only after 2 months of playing, started buzzing, now keep in mind,
I do use a DW5000 with the beater turned around (the felt facing away from the drum).
I was asking around and found out I'm not the only one with this problem,
so I bought a new EMAD and added some tape to the felt holder for reinforcement, it is definitely more
muffled with the extra tape. So I think I'm gonna try a Superkick next.

GeorgeDemise

Do you guys who use the EMAD2 just use the foam ring, or have a pillow inside your drum aswel? I've been using the larger foam ring without anything inside and can't seem to get the sound I want. I'm gonna' try the smaller ring and a pillow inside or no ring at all when I next get to my kit though.

GrindheadJim

GeorgeDemise":ltrb28eh said:
Do you guys who use the EMAD2 just use the foam ring, or have a pillow inside your drum aswel? I've been using the larger foam ring without anything inside and can't seem to get the sound I want. I'm gonna' try the smaller ring and a pillow inside or no ring at all when I next get to my kit though.
I still use a small pillow with the big ring.

Airborne Ranger

I like the SKII much better. I like the floating ring aspect and I have never had a problem with consistency or quality of Aquarian products. I use it with a solid front single ply Ludwig-logo front head and it gives me the sound I'm looking for with nothing else in the drum. The EMAD is a quality product but I prefer the SKII.

Brian L

I love the Emad 2. but I'm not that great at tuning so I can see both sides of this arguement. but I dont care much for aqurian, so its all good. Evans and remo are what I use.

dave lynch

I haven't read all of the post on this, but I will say this..The Emad has the dampner on the outside of the head and the Super ick II has the dampner on the inside of the head..if you like the idea of the head dampning on the forward stroke go with the Superkick II ...if you like the dampner to be on the back stroke go with the EMad...I've used both and at this point I'm using the Super Kick II, but I think I'll try the Super Kick I the next time cuz I like more Crack.!!

Sprocket

i was using two Superkicks on both my bass drums for about 6 months and loved those things, but i ended up kicking right through both of them during a show. after that, i went and picked up some Remo Powersonics with the little removable pillow, and i LOVE those things. lately i have been playing with only one bass drum, and switched out the front Ambassador head for the other Powersonic with a kevlar double slam pad on the kick side, without the pillows attached and nothing in the bass drum. its got great punch and great resonance, depending on how i tune it. a little pricy for two Powersonics, but well worth it in my opinion.

Portnoy4596

I have tried the EMAD great head but just wasn't for me it was to muffled but for somebody looking for that it's perfect but for me I can get the superkick 2 heads to sound like cannons I love them