Stupidest thing you have done while playing/practicing?

alexforwood

I don't just mean like "I once played left hand over right on my ride" *goofy laugh* I mean stuff like "I once slept in my 38" bass drum" or "I once played in a javelin competition with my cymbal stand sharpened to a point"

I shall begin...

I have only ever broken a cymbal once, and that was because I let one of my band's guitarists slide down a set of stairs on it (before you all scream sacriledge it was a Pearl CX300 cymbal that comes with their Forum Set that had flayed to within an inch of its life)

Funny ending though, he nearly decapitated our singer.

Dale

I broke my nose with a drumstick while playing on a small, cramped stage with no amplification fighting to be heard amidst a wall of electric instruments.

That's what I got for pounding my hi hat set way off to the left. At least I didn't miss a beat.

A bit embarrassing though.

DrewDeLaPoots

yea i've hit my head a few times with my stick playing like that. also a pretty dumb thing i did was bust out a stinky fart while playing and it smelled so bad i had to stop playing and walk away. it was hilarious but pretty dumb cuz i knew i had 4 bean and cheese tacos that day before playing and i KNEW my gas was gonna be out of this world at some time during the day. :roll: turns out it was bad while playing my drums. the end :D

PatternsInTheIvy

I was practicing getting my rebound control down during a show because I play in a punk band and that part was paticularly easy, so I was looking down at the stick and I lost control and it bounced back up at the downstroke and hit me in the eye. I didnt even know what happened for about 4 seconds before I grabbed another stick.

Scott_Hurford

DrewDeLaPoots":qrlzcyor said:
it was hilarious but pretty dumb cuz i knew i had 4 bean and cheese tacos that day before playing and i KNEW my gas was gonna be out of this world at some time during the day. :roll: turns out it was bad while playing my drums. the end :D
Haha :lol:

I wear Buddy Holly type glasses which I've knocked off my face more times than I'd like to remember. It's funny for the viewers but embarassing for me, and I try to act like I meant to do it lol.

Dee

I broke my thumb once, I was a total beginner, only been playing a few days or so at the time, i didn't have any lessons, didn't know anything about technique, hell i didn't even know the names of all the drums and cymbals! Oh and i thought Phil Collins was the worlds ultimate drummer!

Anyway, I was at school and i was trying to show off cause i had learnt this drum beat (a basic foundation bar of 8ths) I had such a big head cause i could play this beat and started walking around like i was the queen of the drums (sad i know) but then one day i went down to the music dept, sat myself down on the kit and started playing, well I started hitting the drums, I got really into it and then all of a sudden... *WHACK* on the thumb. That was it, the sticks dropped and i was in pain, my thumb had swollen up like a balloon and went purple in colour, I tell ya the pain was worser than breaking my metatarsal in the foot.

But that wasn't the stupid part, the stupid part was me thiking i was god's gift to the art of drumming and thinking Phil Collins was the best drummer ever to walk the face of the earth... God that was stupid!

:oops:

WhiteOleander

hahah Dee iv been there too =p except I never went as far as breaking my thumb.. i was a totaly beginner, had only been playing for about 4 days and i had to show some stuckup band that I could play Enter Sandman.. it went "beutifully" until i whacked my eye with my left stick as both sticks flew out of my hands and cracked a window ;) i still think i'm gods gift to the art of drumming, but now i atleast hold onto my sticks 8) :D

Dee

WhiteOleander":2lw68v1y said:
hahah Dee iv been there too =p except I never went as far as breaking my thumb.. i was a totaly beginner, had only been playing for about 4 days and i had to show some stuckup band that I could play Enter Sandman.. it went "beutifully" until i whacked my eye with my left stick as both sticks flew out of my hands and cracked a window ;) i still think i'm gods gift to the art of drumming, but now i atleast hold onto my sticks 8) :D

Hahaha, that's class!

Scott_Hurford

WhiteOleander":bpfl8m6c said:
haha, agreed! :wink:

pphunk

Hmm, playing frisbee with a cymbal probably takes the cake. Hitting my guitar player in the shins. hehe And i've hit myself in the face with sticks numerous times as well.

drumfounded

my old band was playing a gig in a bar and i used another drummers kit, i had to pull the stool out more to play since i had longer legs, and on the first bass drum hit the stool leg fell into a groove and i fell off it. luckily i was drunk otherwise i would been embarrased. Another time when i was drunk my band started playing and i played about 2 speeds too slow and missed every pause, triple, and roll. i woke up with alcohol poisoning the next day. Another time, i think i was probably drunk, i was using someone elses kit and the ride cymbal kept loosing and falling so i hade to use the crash cymbals as a ride, that was crappy. WEll i have to go dry dishes now, the wife is calling, luckily im drunk....hhaha no im sober right now. really.

Dale

drumfounded":3n733eiz said:
my old band was playing a gig in a bar and i used another drummers kit, i had to pull the stool out more to play since i had longer legs, and on the first bass drum hit the stool leg fell into a groove and i fell off it. luckily i was drunk otherwise i would been embarrased. Another time when i was drunk my band started playing and i played about 2 speeds too slow and missed every pause, triple, and roll. i woke up with alcohol poisoning the next day. Another time, i think i was probably drunk, i was using someone elses kit and the ride cymbal kept loosing and falling so i hade to use the crash cymbals as a ride, that was crappy. WEll i have to go dry dishes now, the wife is calling, luckily im drunk....hhaha no im sober right now. really.
Didn't I sub for you once on the Tom Jones show??

You're the drummer that asked the lighting guy to darken the drum riser between songs so you could have a swig of scotch??

:D

drumfounded

Dale":pz1sf4ae said:
drumfounded":pz1sf4ae said:
Didn't I sub for you once on the Tom Jones show??

You're the drummer that asked the lighting guy to darken the drum riser between songs so you could have a swig of scotch??

:D
i dont think that was me, im a beer drinker