Stick sizes

FelterSkelter

I've never understood the numbering of drumsticks. Is there a website or something somewhere that shows a chart of specs for 5A, 2B, 5B etc...

Sorry if this is a noob question but all the choices have always confused me.

J-rod

bs are bigger than a's 7's are smaller than 5's, therefore, 7a is a fairly narrow stick best suited for light playing and jazz, where as a 2b is a big fat stick great for a heavy hitter, alot of companies will also include an n at the end like 5an, this means the stick has a nylon tip

FelterSkelter

I guess my real question is:
Does "a" symbolize a specific measurement or is it different depending on what company you're dealing with?

xdoseonex

FelterSkelter":2ain0xhd said:
I guess my real question is:
Does "a" symbolize a specific measurement or is it different depending on what company you're dealing with?

it depends what company your dealing with. one companies 5a won't be the exact same size as another companies

Airborne Ranger

The only consistent thing among stick manufacturers models is their relation to each other. A 5A will always be bigger than a 7A and a 5B will always be bigger than a 5A, other than that, they are all different, no standard sizes. Try them all and find one you like, there are hundreds of modles to choose from. I like the finish on Regal Tips so I always use those, but find a well stocked store and get a feel for as many as you can.