Steven Adler

dammow

New member
OK, this is for the GnR fans i guess, but what are peoples views on stevie? i think he deserved another chance and when matt sorum took over, it was never the same band. some say matt made the band better but, even izzy stradlin said he couldnt continue with out steven and then quit. that was the begining of the end in my eyes...?

Steven adler had a great feel for those appetite songs and that made them real rock n roll!
 

Timekeep69

New member
Steven was definately a great drummer, even Slash says in his book that while Matt was a great drummer, GnR lost the vibe when Steven was fired.

It's good to see he's still playing despite all his health issues.
 

dammow

New member
Timekeep69":2saqh81u said:
Steven was definately a great drummer, even Slash says in his book that while Matt was a great drummer, GnR lost the vibe when Steven was fired.

It's good to see he's still playing despite all his health issues.
yea, lol, that must have pissed matt off a little, being a bandmate in VR!
it is good that steven is playing and i really hope if GNR ever do the reunion that everyone says they will, they will ask steven instead of matt. but i bet they wouldnt.
steven is the reason i play drums. from the opening bars of 'rocket queen'. thats when i first 'listened' to a drummer!
 

Timekeep69

New member
I don't see a GnR reunion coming any time soon. Axl pulled some serious crap that caused the band's demise.
 
I'm sorry I'm not a huge GnR fan and I dont follow them closely mostly because I hate Axel Rose but I'm assuming Steven Adler was their original drummer?

When did he leave?
 

Timekeep69

New member
Yes, he was the original drummer, he was fired in 89 or 90 due to his drug use (ironic, I know).

He has suffered a cocaine induced heart attack and has suffered 2 strokes in the years after his firing.
 

Mitchell?

New member
Yes, he still kicking I think.

A little bit ago he was on VH1's Surreal Life, the how-to-destroy-a-hotel-room-like-a-rockstar episode.
 

dammow

New member
Timekeep69":i0h7rtgm said:
Yeah, he also has a band called Adler's Appetite.
yes, he did, he toured europe and he basically played 'appetite for destruction' with his band. featuring suki jones. i just missed him in london as i saw velvet revolver in 2005 i think. its a shame though, because he should have done alot more than what he got the chance to do! i feel sorry for him in a way!

he was fired from guns n roses in 1990, when the band was recording the use your illusion albums, apparently, it took 23 takes for him to do the song 'civil war', thats the only song he played on those albums... then came matt sorum to do the rest.
 

cableman26

New member
You can replace guitar players, but there's just something about a drummer and bassist. If a song is recorded with one drummer and then you hear another playing it, it's a totally different vibe. Most bands tend to mold their style around the drummer. When they change the drummer the whole band sounds different.


We Rock :D
 

dammow

New member
cableman26":1pmlk1u7 said:
You can replace guitar players, but there's just something about a drummer and bassist. If a song is recorded with one drummer and then you hear another playing it, it's a totally different vibe. Most bands tend to mold their style around the drummer. When they change the drummer the whole band sounds different.


We Rock :D
agreed 100%! when matt sorum came on board the GNR ship, he was almost too good. real tight- too tight, in a way!?! (matt sorum is an awesome drummer too but, the wrong feel for the appeite tunes IMO)....
 

cableman26

New member
Word. I feel like some types of music shouldn't be perfect. Sometimes you want to hear good technical playing like Peart, and then sometimes you just want to f-ing rock out. That's what gnr was all about.

Another great band from the gnr era was L.A. Guns if you haven't heard them check 'em out.
 

dammow

New member
cableman26":1ocucjnx said:
Word. I feel like some types of music shouldn't be perfect. Sometimes you want to hear good technical playing like Peart, and then sometimes you just want to f-ing rock out. That's what gnr was all about.

Another great band from the gnr era was L.A. Guns if you haven't heard them check 'em out.
yea, i heard L.A guns before- awesome!. and i big time agree on the rocking out thing. you cannot beat a bit of speeding up- slowing down style! and steven was genius at that. just slightly, thats all it took.

checkout GNR live at the ritz in 88' --that was one hell of a gig!!
 

ChrisNichols

New member
I always thought Steve was a very cool drummer. I love his cowbell work.

GnR's some of my favourite music to play along to when I just want to rock out hard.
 

dammow

New member
ChrisNichols":2dfgsurq said:
I always thought Steve was a very cool drummer. I love his cowbell work.

GnR's some of my favourite music to play along to when I just want to rock out hard.
+1, 'Night train' comes to mind! :twisted:
 

dammow

New member
<a href="http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/dammow/?action=view&current=646722335_l.gif" target="_blank"><img src="http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/dammow/646722335_l.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
 

ChrisNichols

New member
dammow":3pwq0j87 said:
ChrisNichols":3pwq0j87 said:
I always thought Steve was a very cool drummer. I love his cowbell work.

GnR's some of my favourite music to play along to when I just want to rock out hard.
+1, 'Night train' comes to mind! :twisted:
And 'It's So Easy'!
 

Alan_

New member
I disagree about the whole "you can replace a guitar player but not a drummer" thing. I am not really all that interested in hearing any post-Slash GnR for example, even though two of my favorite chops-monster guitar players EVER (Buckethead and Ron Thal) were his replacement.

So GnR is no more? I thought they were still recording Chinese Democracy...
 
Top