Starter cymbals

Squid

Hi there,

Im looking to get a good cheap set of starter cymbals that will sound relatively good.

I know you have to spend money to get a good setup, but i dont have much at the moment.

Professional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Some ones ive seen so far:

SABIAN SOLAR
ZILJIAN PLANET Z
PAISTE 101.

Which are best and any other reccomendations?

thanks in advance,

Chris.

Airborne Ranger

Out of the three you mentioned, I like the Planet Z series the most. The Paistes are nice too but that inexpensive metal can sound a bit thin when you play loud. Another option would be to look at used cymbals, you can find some pro-quality used cymbals at great prices sometimes on eBay and craigslist.

rufus4dagruv

Used cymbals are a good idea. If you find a deal on CList or Ebay, first check and see if you can find what the current sell price of the cymbal is from somewhere like MusiciansFriend and then contact the seller and find out if the cymbal is bent, cracked or broken. If the price is reasonable and it's not broken, you never know, you may end up with something a little nicer than "beginner" cymbals. Good luck.

automaster31

Personally, I like the pst 3 or pst 5- paiste. The best sounding sheet cymbals I've heard are Sabian B8's. You can get good deals on them. Great to start with. Listen to what everyone else is saying, and get used if you can.

ThePloughman

My recommedation would be ......
No matter what cymbal pack you settle on, approach your cymbals with the attitude that breakage is unacceptable, develope good technique and proper approach. My first cymbals that I bought were in 1979. Paiste 2002s, which I played until I sold them in 2003. I wish I still had those.

Winner Baby!

I'm about to buy a zildjian zxt cymbal pack from eBay.. probably this christmas.. it costs 200£ +/- = 300€ and it is made of:
14 hats
16 crash
20 (not sure) ride
Free
16 ZHT china..

grab a bargain :p :D xD

FatherTime

I have a box of Paiste PST-5's sitting in my foyer waiting to go back to Musicians friend. I ordered them then went to the local store and played them. Any low end cymbals are a compromise. This is clear as soon as you start playing the high dollar stuff. In the end I left the store with a "pack" of Zildjian ZBT cymbals. I really did not want to buy zildjian (everyone has them) and never listened to them .Only in passing did I strike one of the displays.

The bottom line for me was sound. I absolutely love trhe high end Paiste stuff but in the entry level offerings The Zildjian ZBT's spoke to me.

I guess what I'm saying is, whatever you're interested in, play them if you can. People rag on the ZBT's but to me they sound good for the money.

The other item to consider would be the Wuhan cymbal pack from MF 16"and 18"crash and 16"china for just over $100 the crashes sound is head and shoulders above the ZBT's in general but they have a very unique voice.

drumshark

B8's, their pretty cheap, and sound pretty decent, or ZBT's, if your looking any cheaper than that, their gunna sound like crap, ive always hated when people say this but "save up a little longer" and get some b8's

Brian L

drumshark":3fyeovl9 said:
B8's, their pretty cheap, and sound pretty decent, or ZBT's, if your looking any cheaper than that, their gunna sound like crap, ive always hated when people say this but "save up a little longer" and get some b8's
agreed!!! B8s and ZBTs I would say are your best bet. I dont know anything about Paiste so I cant really say, but I've played some older ZBTs and I have a B8 crashs, and I would defiantly go with those over Planet Z or Solar, but its all up to u and what you want to do. I'm thinking about getting all ZBTs or ZHTs pretty soon.

DRUMSMYWIFE

Paiste has a variety of starter cymbal lines to choose from and I am using most of them. really good sound for a modest priced cymbal.

Check out

Pst 3 (sonorous brass alloy)

Pst 5 (B8 bronze)

Paiste 101 brass

Paste 201 bronze