Stamina Problems

DreamT

Hey guys. I've been playing drums for about 12 years but only have I been playing hard rock/metal for about 8 months. I can't help but play my guts out. I just went through two brand new Zildjian Z custom Medium crashes in about 4 months. I'm also having problems at the tail end of shows at keeping my intensity up. I know I'm a little out of shape but are there any tips you might have on how I can still hit hard and get into the music the way I want to and not wear out before the end of a show?

Rick_danger

Try eating something healthy before the show. Drink a bottle of water and have a cup of yogurt or something. Try drinking Gatorade or another drink like that. You want your body to have enough energy to last you the whole show and doing things like this will keep you active and alert through the end.

Rob the Drummer

How long do you play during shows set wise? I usually lay back the first set...also, remember that you don't have to hit hard to play with intensity! Try workin' on that.

screamkevin

Here are a few tips that I can give:

1. Some sort of workout regimen would do you good. Focus on cardio (biking, running, walking on a treadmill, light weightlifting) to increase your endurance.

2. Like Rob said, lay back a bit the first set. Nearly every drummer (me included) gets a huge adrenaline rush when you get onstage. You have to be able to control it and play focused on the task at hand.

3. If you're playing full-PA gigs, remember this: let the mics work for you. They are there to increase your volume. You don't have to beat the crap out of your drums to be heard.

4. Eat healthy properly and get enough sleep. Your body only has so much energy to expend.

5. Re-examine your cymbal technique. You shouldn't be breaking Z Custom Mediums if you are hitting them at an angle.

Good luck!!

BillRayDrums

DreamT":2r20s6pb said:
Hey guys. I've been playing drums for about 12 years but only have I been playing hard rock/metal for about 8 months. I can't help but play my guts out. I just went through two brand new Zildjian Z custom Medium crashes in about 4 months. I'm also having problems at the tail end of shows at keeping my intensity up. I know I'm a little out of shape but are there any tips you might have on how I can still hit hard and get into the music the way I want to and not wear out before the end of a show?
If you are playing hard enough to break stuff like that then you are playing too hard. It's possible to play relaxed and authoratively at the same time.

Being tense will cause you to break things, maybe even your own arm or even pull out ligaments or do other nasty internal injuries. I know this- it took me about 6 months to get over a pulled muscle in my forearm and I didn't have the luxury of taking time off. I had to play through it every stinkin' night. Ouch!

xdoseonex

z customs are thick to begin with , and the mediums anre even thicker. when a cymbal is that thick it doesnt give at all when you hit it, its got no flex to it. instead it just breaks. so if you hit it wrong you have as nice cracy. ussually you can tell they broke likle that because the crack will show up in the middle of the cymbal as opposed to the edge. Did yours break in the midle of the cymbal?

dwtoast72

I'll have to 2nd, or...........6th the backing off thing. Beating the crap out of your kit does bad things for you, your kit, your wallet, and your sound

DreamT

I'll try to take all of these things into consideration. My 18" Z broke in the middle but my 16" broke at the edge. I do play with some angle on my crashes just enough to where the bead of the stick doesn't hit unless I want it to. As far as backing off I'll try but that's something I've been working on for some time now. As juvenile as it may sound I can't really enjoy playing as much if I don't hit as hard. People that follow my band can tell when I'm not playing as hard and say it takes a little away from the show. I just want to make sure the crowd stays into it. Maybe it's just my cymbal technique because now that I think of it I only break 1 or 2 sticks per show, and all my heads usually last at least 4-7 months.

Alcyon

I think what dose was talking about was that Z Customs are advertised to be really solid cymbals for hard playing, but they're so heavy and thick that they don't flex or give when you hit them, meaning they soak up all your hits and actually crack faster. I can't stand the sound of such heavy cymbals... I play Sabian AA Brights and Fast Crashes and they're much lighter, I've never broken one yet (5+ months on).

I know what you mean about hitting hard and enjoying it... I feel the same way and I always get flak from people for it. They seem to think that I'm incapable of playing lightly or quietly, which is totally untrue; they also are really nervous about letting me use their stuff because apparently I have a "reputation" for breaking things, which, of course, I've never done. But recently I proved 'em all wrong by playing a Bar Mitzvah gig nice and quietly on a pink sparkle Tama Starclassic I borrowed from a young female fellow drummer. :p

xrftsx

yeah bro. for stamina. just work out your legs alot and go BIKING. that works wonders.
i play stuff like The Black Dahlia Murder and August Burns Red. that stuff gets tiring.
just work out a ton. i do every other day. and learn to use the different parts of your pedal. right now when i play i have my toes right in the middle of the pedal plates. doing that just gives me more momentume..
but yeah work out.

dave lynch

Rick_danger":u8ol631h said:
Try eating something healthy before the show. Drink a bottle of water and have a cup of yogurt or something. Try drinking Gatorade or another drink like that. You want your body to have enough energy to last you the whole show and doing things like this will keep you active and alert through the end.
Yeah you don't want to have a big ole dinner and then play all full and stuff..That can be hard at times cuz you'll get a dinner comped sometimes and you'll see the rest of the band members eating big ole steaks and stuff..Oh and remember that what you eat a day or two before can also effect you..Rest is a great thing..A good warm up and feelin good is IT..Now maybe, just maybe I'll take my own advise the next time..LOL

Alcyon

Oh yeah, and do rudiments... I know it sucks, I get bored so fast, but it's worth it... We played Seek and Destroy for one of my first shows and it has eighth note hihats and my hand was so sore I almost couldn't finish the song. I hate that song.

screamkevin

xdoseonex":2pfh4v9y said:
z customs are thick to begin with , and the mediums anre even thicker. when a cymbal is that thick it doesnt give at all when you hit it, its got no flex to it. instead it just breaks. so if you hit it wrong you have as nice cracy. ussually you can tell they broke likle that because the crack will show up in the middle of the cymbal as opposed to the edge. Did yours break in the midle of the cymbal?
Actually, the Medium Z Customs are thinner than Rock or Regular weights. A Medium Z custom is comparable to an Medium A Zildjian in weight.

m

Eat a banana before the show; the potassium is very helpful. It's rescued me several times.
I also had to consciously try to pace myself at the beginning of our shows for the first few months. You can either pace yourself early and finish the show at full intensity, or you can burn through it at the top of the show and fall apart at the end.

Denzil

For the cymbals loosen the wingnuts a little that will give them more room. I completely cracked my ride and the nut as it was too tight once. If its ur feat getting tired most efficient way is keep ur feet at the middle or lower on the pedal as theres less movment in the pedal that way. I tend to practice double pedal at least 20 mins a day working from slow to fast speeds works a wonder.

Alcyon

My bad Kevin, I was just going from what Dose said. I've never owned Z Customs so I wouldn't know.

dave lynch

Daza73":21fr2te1 said:
eat lots of carbo hydrates 24 hrs before the show like pasta, bread etc
Carbs are alot better for you than animal fat..plus it burns easier..Alot of times I'll have a salad with maybe a little chicken, but with some bread..it's light and healthy..Umm but you don't want to smother it with dressings made from mayo...Mayo is heavy and a bad type of fat..I light vinigerette...Oh and some patsa incorperated is nice too.. !!

Solix

m":3cwdaz0x said:
Eat a banana before the show; the potassium is very helpful. It's rescued me several times.
Hmm, I'll have to try that sometime. I know that wasn't directed at me, but thanks!