Stage Fright?

leftear

Anyone have any issues with stage freight? Fear of messing up? Fear of bad hand, wrist and arm cramps?

mudoyal

usually i play better when i'm on stage. especially if there is a lot of people there. must be the adreline

Ericinho6

I never did. I was usually on a decent sized riser so that I basically couldn't see the crowd, but more so silhouettes of heads moving around. Plus, I focused in on playing the music, and just had the time of my life.

screamkevin

I've been dealing with severe stage fright for about 25 years now. I don't know why I get it, but I do. Once I play that first note, I'm fine, but getting up onstage to do what I do is the most terrifying thing for me. I shake, I sweat, and I've actually cried a few times out of pure terror.

I just use some mental exercises that I learned through some therapy, and and I'm okay now to at least make my way onstage and get behind my drums. It's just getting there that is still tough. A few adult beverages help, too.

vader2016

I do bad before I get up on stage, but just like screamkevin said, once I play that first note, everything else goes away, at that point it's just me and my set..

mattdoesrock

mudoyal":2razowlg said:
usually i play better when i'm on stage. especially if there is a lot of people there. must be the adreline
Yea i find that too. I was doing a drum solo once and my double kick seemed even faster than useual :D

Breathingbeats

Nah, not really....I don't want this to sound cocky...But I wrote the music i'm playing, so i'm fairly confident in my ability to play it.....I just focus on what i'm doing, and when the music starts, I forget i'm even in front of a crowd..Then it's just jam time.

i think maybe once i was stage fright for a split second when playing ym first gig. other than that, i get full of adreniline and just played. haha one time i remember i was in the middle fo a solo and my hand started to cramp up. i didnt stop playing but it was the most painful drum solo ive ever played lol

RogersDrummer

I used to deal with stage fright a while ago. It would totally ruin my playing for the first 10 minutes of a show. Thankfully that went away with time.

A good way to help with stage fright, is to just close your eyes and envision nothing but you and the music. Think about playing by yourself in your living room with headphones on. That helps alot.

Rob

leftear

RogersDrummer":x5zsavuc said:
I used to deal with stage fright a while ago. It would totally ruin my playing for the first 10 minutes of a show. Thankfully that went away with time.

A good way to help with stage fright, is to just close your eyes and envision nothing but you and the music. Think about playing by yourself in your living room with headphones on. That helps alot.

Rob
Good advice, thanks Rob!

drummerfreek55

i'm definitely in the situation of stage fright with an upcoming show i have. i recently auditioned for my school's "talent show" and am performing a solo. but to get back on topic ive always had to deal with stage fright. indirectly i have found a way around this problem although my stage fright has shrunk in the past few years. my way around this was that my set is a small five piece with six cymbals not including the hats. if you can imagine it, the cymbals pretty much form a wall in front of me (not quite but they block alot) so that helps. but as for people with smaller sets, i just recommend having a group of friends come over and playing in front of them and it makes it much easier.

lowdrummer

I get so comfortable with the stuff im playing that i dont even worry about stage fright. I used to get realy scared, stomache aches, and sweating, it was bad!