stage fright

seandude

how do u deal with it
at church its not scary so i dont need it there

but when i preform my first show(soon) im sced ill tence up and not play hard anough or ill get off beat my bgst freas EVER!!!

what are ur fears and how do you get over them

WhiteOleander

the way I got over my first show was litterally bouncing around like crazy pumping myself up.. that way i believe i can do it and even if i fuck up ill just think "its rock and roll man, ROCK ON!".. by making yourself really excited you seem to forget about being nervous.. i remember we fucked up royally.. we seriously made every mistake possible and the crowd still loved us because we just kept it rock and roll =)
don't be nervous it makes it worse.. just chill and enjoy the moment, if you fuck up its not the end of the world and your probably a good enough drummer by now to keep the beat going ;) no worries man

anavrinIV

public speaking cured me of much stage fright so thats not usually a problem. my rhythm guitarist, on the other hand, was visibly shaking during our first show and actually had to use a joke line we made up...we were playing a midified version of dream theaters 'endless sacrifice' and we were joking that if he messed up in the beginning he would stop and look at the crowd and say "just kidding guys, i dont suck". he messed up royaly and pulled out the line, started over and it went off well (minus the fact that we had no bass player at the time). great time.

I do my stretching and warm up routines like normal, and then I talk to the guys in my band and start getting really pumped up. I usually get to the point where I'm bouncing around like WhiteOleander said lol. Also, like she said, it's just rock and roll. If you screw up, it's not the end of the world at all. My big fear is always dropping a stick; but then again, if it happens, it happens. Nothing I can do about it once it's done. However, I just watch the crowd, watch the guys in my band, and if I'm ever nervous, it's gone after the first song and excitement takes it place. Best of luck on your upcoming show!

zildjian_zbt

Nerves are sometimes good man, they make you realise whats happening and I reckon it helps you play your best.
My answer though would be to prepare as much as you can. Make sure you are 100% warmed up. Not being warmed up will mainly make you hold back and will give you serious doubbts in your head.

Make sure you warmed up and just have fun dude. You'll realise when your having fun. And its that whole thing, once your up their, you wont wanna get off.

Good luck with the first show man.

devilspain

just pretend like your playing to ppl in your church! if you feel comfortable there it should work good luck.

Scott_Hurford

get yourself PUMPED up ready! bounce about lke the others have all sed, warm up, talk to others, then before your about to go on, stand tall and be confidant! remember your playing an instrument! and your playing with other musicians, just think thts all your doing.
when u get up onstage, all the nerves turn to energy, trust me 8)

thursday_1134

Think of a gig as no different than playing in a garage or a bastment with just your bandmates listening, (and maybe the neighbours haha) just focus yourself souly on your drums for the first gig or 2. youll become more comfortable with audiences. even if you do make a mistake, whats the worst that could happen. Its music. people arent going to get all pumped up over a mistake, and bands do it more than you think. there is a video of Kalmah's Hades on youtube.com, their drummer screws up the beginning, but he just gets himself back on track and keeps going. dont worry so much, let loose, and play the shit out of those drums. have a good time, and you can't go wrong.

Calbanese

Haha unless you are a rock band showing up at "Bob's Country Bunker" for a gig, those people will clap for anything! But I seriously suggest learning the theme from "Rawhide" in case the shit hits the fan!!
(Blues Brothers, Lol)

You'll do finee!

WhiteOleander

Calbanese":2tj6rjna said:
Haha unless you are a rock band showing up at "Bob's Country Bunker" for a gig, those people will clap for anything! But I seriously suggest learning the theme from "Rawhide" in case the shit hits the fan!!
(Blues Brothers, Lol)

You'll do finee!
hahah exactly :lol:

Benno

I figure it's good to be a little bit nervous when you get on stage, and it's kinda scary when you get out there, but eventually you get in a zone and you don't even notice the crowd until you finish a song and they're screaming their lungs out about how awesome you are.

It's a good feeling, just warm up a little before the show (Get loose, not tired), and pump up. Go out there with full knowledge that you are the best drummer in the history of mankind. 8)

BlastBeaterX

Stage fright is the first thing that comes to mind when I play, but usually after a minute into the opening song I sorta forget about all the people I'm playing to and just play as if it were a regular band practice.