Staccato drums

loop

Is there anything to explain? :) They're true work of art :wink: There are few manufacturers making drums in a weird shape like this :)

Animal

loop":okex4pif said:
Is there anything to explain? :) They're true work of art :wink: There are few manufacturers making drums in a weird shape like this :)
Well they sure look cool and crazy!

I remember Morten Diesel Dahl of Norwegian Hardrockers TNT fame) used a kit like this in the early eighties.

It was a kit, looking exactly like this one;

The manufacturer is called "Staccato" by the way.

mikeellis

They are Staccato Drums designed by Pat Townsend and launched in mid 70's and ceased production in the early 80's. They were made from fibreglass and have a very distinctive sound quite unlike any other cocert toms.

They have just been relaunched and were displayed at the UK's National Drum fair on 30th September and 1st October. The largest kit on display coat over £3000 (US$5000+).

Animal

Finaly, I found the before-mentioned kit that Morten "Diesel" Dahl of TNT-fame used in the 80's.

It is for sale too, but who would seriosly concider to spend MORE THAN $ 4400.00 on 2 bass drums, 4 toms, and one floor tom, plus "some" hardware?! :shock:

Lucky for me, my forehead doesn't read "stupidissimo"... :lol:

Johnny Cat

Anybody hear tell of Stingray drums? They made synthetic shells that angled out in a similar fashion. They mostly made marching percussion but for a time they had kits available as well. They claimed their drums projected more to the audience due to the angled tom shells, but I've never played them so I don't know. I recall a Modern Drummer review that stated there was a noticeable difference, but there could have been many other factors involved.

Animal

Yeah, there's several drum-manufactorers that's been trying those oddly shaped drums.

Along Staccato and Stingray, you also have North Drums that made similar drums (At least toms/floor toms, not the bassdrums, as they where in "regular" shape.

Stingray:

North:

Zickos:

Like Stingray, North were also a "marching bands" drum manufactorer first and foremost.

Johnny Cat

Animal":1bcp4a1u said:
Yeah, there's several drum-manufactorers that's been trying those oddly shaped drums.

Along Staccato and Stingray, you also have North Drums that made similar drums (At least toms/floor toms, not the bassdrums, as they where in "regular" shape.

Stingray:

North:

Zickos:

Like Stingray, North were also a "marching bands" drum manufactorer first and foremost.
Woah! The Zickos are retarded!

Thanks for finding that Stingray catalogue pic too. I couldn't find anything.

jt

Hello Alexander, I have the privalidge to own a Staccato kit in a awesome bright yellow and it is a real head turner when i use it for gigs! the main differences in the sound is 1. its frickin loud, 2. it has much less sustain, 3. alot 'dryer' than a normal set up but yet surprisenly musical. I now only use the bass drum for day to day use as it has some proper 'UMPF' behind it. I hardly use dampening on it at all and definet ly not when used for live situations. The toms though do lack control, its more of a punchy, short bang. As there are efectively concert toms so u don't really have the added trouble of over tones... well not as much as with standard kits. Basicly its loud, proud and gorgeous to look at... but i may be slightly biased! lol hope this helps if not ill go into it much deeper and try to get a recordin for you.
Jim x

zen_drummer

I had a set of Zickos in the 70's but they were clear acrylic like Ludwig vistalites, they were not those creepy tupperware looking monstrosoties. The Zickos sounded really fat.

I played a set of Stacatto drums back around 1995 and they sounded odd. the bass drum projected all the sound forward and it was REALLY hard to hear when I was playing it... plus... it looks kinda like a big ol fat guys pair of pants. The Tom Toms were TINY heads, like 6,8,10 and 12 and that floor tom only had a 14" head on it. I never saw a 16" floor tom from them but they may have made one. The snare drum was UGLY and sounded awful. These drums should be used for triggers.

I once played a set of stingrays. Nothing to write home about. LOUD and wouldn't tune low at all.