Srum head question

Berkowitz

What heads are good for a sustained muffled sound, i dont like a tom that rings for a long time. Ive heard evans hydrolics??

phee

You want sustained AND muffled? Those two adjectives are opposites to me. But if you want less ring, you should first learn to minimize it with tuning technique. Tune your top(batter) head low/loose, it should not have very much rebound to it if you want to get rid of the ring. Then tune your bottom(resonant) head slightly higher than the top. If that's not the sound you want, loosen the bottom(resonant) head little by little until it is. If that doesn't work. Try either Remo Pinstripe heads, or ATTACK 2-ply Tone Ridge heads. The ATTACK heads are much less expensive, you can order them from www.wwbw.com

break the prism

evans g1 coateds heads helped with muffling, still leaving a good amount of sustain. if you're not into evans, try remo diplomats.

Mr.Smash

get 2 small pieces of duck tape, roll them into cylinders and stick them on your drum head. sounds great and it kills all the ring.

SGarrett

break the prism":1nyadi0s said:
evans g1 coateds heads helped with muffling, still leaving a good amount of sustain. if you're not into evans, try remo diplomats.
Diplomats are the thinnest heads, other than snare side, that Remo makes. They have tons of ring for jazz players.

Mr.Smash":1nyadi0s said:
get 2 small pieces of duck tape, roll them into cylinders and stick them on your drum head. sounds great and it kills all the ring.
You can also make o-rings out of old heads.

xdoseonex

o rings cover the bearing edge of the drum, killing the tone. try moongels, or small "flagged" pieces of masking tape

SGarrett

xdoseonex":2j37u05j said:
o rings cover the bearing edge of the drum, killing the tone. try moongels, or small "flagged" pieces of masking tape
The beauty of making them yourself is that you can control how wide they are. Another nice thing about using o-rings, especially on a practice kit, is that they don't dry out like MoonGels or leave sticky residue like some tapes. They don't kill tone, they kill ring.

Personally, I use either Coated Response 2 or Coated Double-Thin heads with no muffling and if I do need muffling I use MoonGel...placed as close to the rim as possible.

scotttyrcha

I use Evans EQ's on my toms. They sound good and cut some of the unwanted overtones. If I have to muffle or need to cut more overtones, I use moongel.

Just my .2 cents :eek:

xdoseonex

I wonder how long a moongel takes to dry out. i cut all mine in half, a whole one is to much for me. i take them off for shows

m

xdoseonex":1kanuk4t said:
I wonder how long a moongel takes to dry out. i cut all mine in half, a whole one is to much for me. i take them off for shows
I've had some for at least 2 years, never stored them - they've been exposed the whole time. Haven't dried out yet.
Of course, I'm in the southern US and the humidity down here is pretty high.