spring tension and beater weight

a58chevy

So I made my choice and ditched with DW9000's for the pearl eliminators. I freaking love these pedals. my current settings are powershifter in light position, red cams, footboard at lowest setting, beaters about 4.5" away from head, spring tension is maxed out.

My question is as follows. When I first set up the pedals, i used the slug jazz pro beaters and found the response to be very lacking. almost too springy. i switched back to the standard weight slug beater and I got back alot of control and power. anyone else have this experience with beater changes on their pedals? The reason I ask is i'm thinking about getting the punch collar slug beaters that are either 1/2 oz. or 1oz. heavier depending on model.

The feeling on my dw9000's was almost opposite. So i'm thinking maybe it's the higher tension spring on the pearls. That thing is beefy.

SGarrett

a58chevy":3rjmk2ov said:
So I made my choice and ditched with DW9000's for the pearl eliminators. I freaking love these pedals. my current settings are powershifter in light position, red cams, footboard at lowest setting, beaters about 4.5" away from head, spring tension is maxed out.

My question is as follows. When I first set up the pedals, i used the slug jazz pro beaters and found the response to be very lacking. almost too springy. i switched back to the standard weight slug beater and I got back alot of control and power. anyone else have this experience with beater changes on their pedals? The reason I ask is i'm thinking about getting the punch collar slug beaters that are either 1/2 oz. or 1oz. heavier depending on model.

The feeling on my dw9000's was almost opposite. So i'm thinking maybe it's the higher tension spring on the pearls. That thing is beefy.
If you're getting a springy feeling, it's probably the spring tension being too high.

Howepirate

I hate slug beaters...but... heavier beaters = more power and a ton more control especially under high spring tension. Heavier beaters+ high spring tension= speed.

Howepirate

SGarrett":1riroz3s said:
Ankle > Technology.
Hey man, with the techniques of today, ankles arent required. 8) ....sounds so cocky.

But for real, flat foot is revolutionizing techniques.

Fleabear

I see a lot of the videos with the newer (or newer to me) metal guys who play so fast on the pedals that it's amazing. That being said...you can see that these guys have no tension on the pedals...and aren't playing with any power at all. It's all about the speed and none of what I dig about playing.....really layin' into a groove and enjoying the "physical-ness" of playing. I've switched my pedal setups a few times.....and every once in a while I get a bug up my ass to switch up again. I usually keep my tension pretty high....and Wood beaters are definitely nice for the extra weight.

I've tried some of my friend's newer pedals....one of them was the Axis long board. It seems to be only setup for "speed". That's probably why most of the metal guys are triggering these days.....no matter how much they lay into their bass drums....ya can probably barely hear them 2 feet away! :)