Splash Hats

FelterSkelter

Anyone using splashes as high hats? What's a good combo? I'll be playing with a new arrangement using a 16" kick, 10" jingle/8"timbale snares, and an 18" floor. I want some fairly inexpensive "mini-hats" to go with it.

AmnestysLowEnd

use two diff. waights and it works but two of same waight sonds horrible. so like a z custom over a a custom/k/a will work but a over a will not.

FelterSkelter

I'm more of a Sabian guy. (Regardless) Do you you think they heavy should go on top or bottom? (If I was a cymbal I'd want the big one on the bottom.) :lol:

m

I'm using 10" Turk Master splashes as an X-hat. It sounds pretty similar to my Ribbon Crasher, but at a different pitch.
I really like it.
haven't tried it on a regular hat stand, but planning on it.

break the prism

the heavy is usually on the bottom.

for sabian i'd try an aa on the bottom and maybe an xs on top.
or an aa on the bottom and an aax on top.

AmnestysLowEnd

try playing them with heavy on top and vice versa. I like my bottom hat on top more then the top on top. So...yeah play around and see what you like.

As for the line I would use would be a metal-x and a aax

Brian L

I actually tired that once, i used a 10 inch Zildjian ZBT splash and an 8 inch Sabian B8 splash. but I would never do anything serious with it. I barely play with splashes at all.

FelterSkelter

phil-drummer":cicgprql said:
check out zildjians ZHT range, they have 10" and even 8" mini hats
Thanks I was thinking about Wuhan too. They're pretty cheap and I'm kinda looking for that sound in this situation. I'll see if I can get a heavier one for the bottom, if they offer such a cymbal.