Spinology anyone?

keith bushey

I've never really practiced stick spinning, quess I thought perfecting everything else was more important. Now I'm infactuated by it! Its my latest passion and I must learn it!!! Any info would be a great help.

dedrummervanrolf

I believe there's lot of ways to spin your stick. The only way I know is really really easy, you just have to get the hang of it. You actually hold the sticks between your index and middlefinger, holding your hand up so you're looking at the back of it. While turning your hand around, the tip of the stick falls down and comes up again. If you practise this and do it in a non-stop motion, you'll look hella cool on stage:p
I don't know if it made sense, but it's the best description I could give.

Dude_on_Drums

Timekeep69":1l04nv8f said:
There's a video out called "Visual Drumming" it's pretty good.
Really? Sounds interesting.
Who made it and where can you get it.
I already use a lot of visual tricks, mostly ones I've seen Eric Singer do.
I'd like to learn a lot more tricks...

Dude_on_Drums

dedrummervanrolf":1kk3t4uv said:
I believe there's lot of ways to spin your stick. The only way I know is really really easy, you just have to get the hang of it. You actually hold the sticks between your index and middlefinger, holding your hand up so you're looking at the back of it. While turning your hand around, the tip of the stick falls down and comes up again. If you practise this and do it in a non-stop motion, you'll look hella cool on stage:p
I don't know if it made sense, but it's the best description I could give.
That's also the only one I know.
And I do it A LOT !!!

ChrisNichols

I spin my sticks a couple times every time there's a break in the drumming that's long enough to pull it off. It's tricky to get the hang of doing fluidly, but once you get it you'll never lose it. By now, for me, it's just a total reflex. But sorry, I can't really describe how to do it...just one of them things.

stephenchong

Go to Youtube and search. There's a hell lot of videos explaining stick spins. I have grasped two methods already. And when you start learning stick spins, try it with both hands. I learned my right hand first, and it took trouble to go back and learn it again with my left hand. So start of with both hands, it saves time. :)

m

I've got the Visual Drumming DVD, if I can find it I'll be glad to part with it.
It's really short and is mostly geared at 'metal' -type music. Lots of hitting oneself in the head and such.
I didn't care for it at all. (I guess the brevity should be a plus in my case?)

stump

Being a child of the 70's-80's I used to get into spinning the sticks quite abit. Have gotten away from it since my early stages of drumming but do catch myself every so often spinning without even meaning to. Adds good flash if anything. Peace on ya!

dammow

i just been looking on youtube at stick spinning vids. there is some real talent out there. went to get a stick to have a go and learn but spent most of the time picking the stick off the floor! think i'll just stick to banging the drums for now! lol :lol: