Spelling

stump

There have been some recent questions about spelling here. I tried to get the point across that many folks here may not necessarily be well versed in the english language being that they might be from a different country. I like the fact that we can pass this information all over the world. I also said that maybe the ones that are not well versed in the english language should post in their own language. I believe that the word was CYMBAL. For the brothers and sisters here that are from a place that does not primarily use the english language...let is know how CYMBAL is spelled in your country.

killdrum1983

stump":g60pcqhd said:
There have been some recent questions about spelling here. I tried to get the point across that many folks here may not necessarily be well versed in the english language being that they might be from a different country. I like the fact that we can pass this information all over the world. I also said that maybe the ones that are not well versed in the english language should post in their own language. I believe that the word was CYMBAL. For the brothers and sisters here that are from a place that does not primarily use the english language...let is know how CYMBAL is spelled in your country.
hey hi i'm totally concerned by this topic. I come from belgium actually and i've had problems with the language since i'm here on this web site. It started with full strokes, free strokes, moeller ect... Now it's better but it's still hard to understand everything. lol But i like it that way, it is true that it's not easy for the people who don't speak english but putting every topic in our own language would be really hard i think...

by the way infrench we say cymbales lol

stump

I agree and that is my point. People here bitch about spelling and don't take into consideration that there are guys and gals here that are from different countries. I appreciate the fact that you guys take time to post in english. The spelling is no big deal. As long as we all understand...who gives a S***. Thanks for posting! Peace.

killdrum1983

stump":303yfso0 said:
I agree and that is my point. People here bitch about spelling and don't take into consideration that there are guys and gals here that are from different countries. I appreciate the fact that you guys take time to post in english. The spelling is no big deal. As long as we all understand...who gives a S***. Thanks for posting! Peace.
I'm glad you posted it because yeah i was looking at those topics (like that one about cymbals...) and i was thinking why do they make such a subject but whatever... yeah it's really great to have this site for us even if it's in english it's a great to have this opportunity to share our passion...

FelterSkelter

I have made a crack at someone for spelling (I must admit it irks me) but that was only because they made a comment that was not helpful to the question at hand (That should bother everyone). My mom's from Germany so I can understand the unintentional misspellings of people from other countries. The one thing I HATE is the whole "I'm too busy (or cool)to write in proper English the best I know how, so I'll write things like 'L8R' and 'NE1'. I've gotten over "LOL" but the short form in complete sentences reminds me of that skit on SNL with David Spade where the guy was in prison awaiting "Leeth Injeksh"

Sorry to rant, and kudos to all those around the world who write into this forum in a language other than their primary.
L8R,
Felter$kelter

m

[quote
kudos to all those around the world who write into this forum in a language other than their primary.
[/quote]

usually they have some of the best grammar and spelling!

screamkevin

I'm normally a stickler for proper grammar and spelling, but in an international forum such as this, it's all good. Hey, English is the hardest language in the world to learn. Think about it. Over 20 million people in this country can't even use English correctly, and it's our national language!! (That's a joke, son.)

I do, however, strongly support a ban on all 'net abbreviations (OMG, ROTFLMAO, L8R, BRB) as mentioned above. That's just plain old-fashioned laziness, and I absolutely do not tolerate it.

Rockula!

I usually only go after someone if they are being a prick
My biggest problem is typing slower than my brain (I spend as much time correcting as typing)
It bugs the fuck out of me when people cannot use apostrophes correctly
An apostrophe denotes a posessive, not a plural connotation
The singular posessive looks like this (i'm going to use the word CD as an example)
The CD's bonus tracks are a glimpse into their rehearsal(singular posessive)
The CDs' bonus tracks encompass their rehersals over the years (plural posessive)
The CDs have bonus tracks of their rehearsals (non posessive plural)

Yeah, people who learn English as their 2nd language usually have better skills because they learned more recently
Plus
Americans tend to be lazy fucks (especially the aformentioned prick's)

FelterSkelter

Rockula!":2wqy45by said:
My biggest problem is typing slower than my brain (I spend as much time correcting as typing)
The singular posessive looks like this (i'm going to use the word CD as an example)
The CDs' bonus tracks encompass their rehersals over the years (plural posessive)

Yeah, people who learn English as their 2nd language usually have better skills because they learned more recently
Plus
Phew! I thought I'd get roasted for sure for that one.

screamkevin

Rockula!":2hoxapxl said:

Plus
Rockula, you should be here in Pennsylvania! Not only is the rampant abuse of apostrophes running out of control, we've also experienced the death of the transitional verb.

For example:

My car really needs to be washed. (In this sentence, "to be" is the transitional verb.)

In Pennsylvanian: My car really needs washed. (Note, no "to be".)

That TOTALLY drives me crazy.

trstn

In the language my mom taught me long ago a cymbal is a "Becken".

I always try to do my best in spelling and grammar. English was my second major at University. 39 of 42 emails I have to write every day for work are english. It's the lingua franca at work because people from all over the world are working here. I always try to correct my posts accurately when I write more than one short sentence.

If I does annoyoyingly mistake, pleased felt free to correct my because its alway appriciated. brr

I would personally wish that a whole bunch of people in the internet, especially from the states, would be a little more openminded to other languages. "This post sucks balls because I can't understand it".
And always keep in mind, my English is far better than your German. :D

weiterrocken Männer!
trstn

Eiren

If I was one of those poor spellers/murderers of grammar reading this thread, and seeing that there are people from other countries (who have English as a second, or even third language) that can write in better English than I could... I would be pretty embarrassed.

mortem

Mh, considering English is not my mother language, I think I have a pretty good spelling.. but I guess that's only cuz I've been in bilingual schools all my life heh

oh, and in Spanish it's "PLATILLOS" (plah-tee-yos)

FelterSkelter

trstn":bqpa46d8 said:
In the language my mom taught me long ago a cymbal is a "Becken".

I always try to do my best in spelling and grammar. English was my second major at University. 39 of 42 emails I have to write every day for work are english. It's the lingua franca at work because people from all over the world are working here. I always try to correct my posts accurately when I write more than one short sentence.

If I does annoyoyingly mistake, pleased felt free to correct my because its alway appriciated. brr

I would personally wish that a whole bunch of people in the internet, especially from the states, would be a little more openminded to other languages. "This post sucks balls because I can't understand it".
And always keep in mind, my English is far better than your German. :D

weiterrocken Männer!
trstn
JA VOLL! (I dont know how to put the little dots over the "O" but just pretend you see them)

andybfrank

I would just like to clear the air. I was the one who posted about spelling cymbals correctly. Please don't take it too seriously, it's just a pet peave and I really didn't mean to offend anybody.

I know what it's like to live in a foreign country and have to speak a non-native language. I completely understand not knowing how to spell/pronounce things correctly, and I sincerely appreciate the fact that everyone is posting in English, even though that is not necessarily their native language.

I was directing my comments more towards the people who just don't take the time to look over their post before they send it out. I was just trying to say that it is worth it to take the time to do your best to write a clear and legible post. There is a difference between native language issues and carelessness.

FelterSkelter

andybfrank":2brim3vq said:
I would just like to clear the air. I was the one who posted about spelling cymbals correctly. Please don't take it too seriously, it's just a pet peave and I really didn't mean to offend anybody.

I know what it's like to live in a foreign country and have to speak a non-native language. I completely understand not knowing how to spell/pronounce things correctly, and I sincerely appreciate the fact that everyone is posting in English, even though that is not necessarily their native language.

I was directing my comments more towards the people who just don't take the time to look over their post before they send it out. I was just trying to say that it is worth it to take the time to do your best to write a clear and legible post. There is a difference between native language issues and carelessness.
Agreed

stump

andybfrank":3eni9bdc said:

Good man! Understood and peace on ya!