Speed or Groove!!

Howepirate":2bhmbldo said:
Both

Cuz thats how i do
That tells me you like your double kick. Would you still think jazz had groove if it was played at metal speed. Mr T Barker is about the only drummer I`ve heard that can pull off awesome grooves with not too much speed.

Empyrean Drums

smarty_drummerboy":16266w6o said:
Howepirate":16266w6o said:
Both

Cuz thats how i do
That tells me you like your double kick. Would you still think jazz had groove if it was played at metal speed. Mr T Barker is about the only drummer I`ve heard that can pull off awesome grooves with not too much speed.
Then you ain't heard nothin'

Howepirate

Empyrean Drums":21wcqbj2 said:
smarty_drummerboy":21wcqbj2 said:
Howepirate":21wcqbj2 said:
Both

Cuz thats how i do
Then you ain't heard nothin'
Agreed

Rob the Drummer

I would like my reputation to be as a good, versatile drummer that is musical. Groove is more important, it is the essence of drumming. Speed is really more of a secondary component to drumming. You can't really compare groove to speed as they are not in the same category. I like to groove, I have fast hands, and my feet can be fast sometimes. I'm happy with where I am, but I am nowhere where I wanna be. Never will be.

Speaking of speed, why do so many drummers just want fast feet? Why do they wanna do the death metal thing? It's more of a physical thing than a mental thing, and drumming is 99% mental. I can't see how blasting can be fun, and it certainly isn't "musical" in the traditional sense. It's just noise to me. Please understand that I respect all drummers and I'm not bashing, I just don't get the whole concept of it. Every style has it's place, I just don't understand why so many drummers just want to be fast and nothing else.

LadyThunder

I'd have to say groove. Speed is great and all, but what's the point of speed if there's no groove to it. On the flipside, grove can be complimented with speed and still have feel and soul. So there you go.

TheYardstick

smarty_drummerboy":nu3xsi35 said:
Howepirate":nu3xsi35 said:
Both

Cuz thats how i do
Double bass was invented by a jazz/swing drummer.

And Travis plays single kick, or so I've heard.

Empyrean Drums

See what I mean Howepirate?

Rob the Drummer":2q98l9o5 said:
I would like my reputation to be as a good, versatile drummer that is musical. Groove is more important, it is the essence of drumming. Speed is really more of a secondary component to drumming. You can't really compare groove to speed as they are not in the same category. I like to groove, I have fast hands, and my feet can be fast sometimes. I'm happy with where I am, but I am nowhere where I wanna be. Never will be.

Speaking of speed, why do so many drummers just want fast feet? Why do they wanna do the death metal thing? It's more of a physical thing than a mental thing, and drumming is 99% mental. I can't see how blasting can be fun, and it certainly isn't "musical" in the traditional sense. It's just noise to me. Please understand that I respect all drummers and I'm not bashing, I just don't get the whole concept of it. Every style has it's place, I just don't understand why so many drummers just want to be fast and nothing else.

Rob the Drummer

Empyrean Drums":qazntc8d said:

Rob the Drummer":qazntc8d said:

Sorry man, just no soul in that kinda music, no feel, no groove, no swing, no anything. It's all speed and endurance. I can't play it, but I respect those that are into it. Anyway, sorry to take it off topic! But this is a speed/groove thread...

Rob the Drummer

Empyrean Drums":98atlu43 said:
There is more to drums and music then groove
You can also Rock, Swing, Thrash, Boogie, Grind...........(and on)
I don't believe these differ from what groove is....
I think these are all types of grooves.
Groove, I believe, is one large spectrum which many styles fall under.

Rock, Swing, Thrash, Boogie, and Grind are all types of grooves.

There are some exceptions though.
I should try to come up with a concept on this stuff...it's making me think a lot!

Empyrean Drums

Rob the Drummer":2tp6munb said:
Empyrean Drums":2tp6munb said:

Rob the Drummer":2tp6munb said:

Sorry man, just no soul in that kinda music, no feel, no groove, no swing, no anything. It's all speed and endurance. I can't play it, but I respect those that are into it. Anyway, sorry to take it off topic! But this is a speed/groove thread...
But not all death metal is even fast

jojodrums

I think Rob is entitled to his opinions as we all are. For me keeping time is more important over groove and speed and of course it all depends on what is asked of you too. If you're drumming for Prince then groove is essential. If you're drumming for Napalm Death then speed is essential.

I tend to groove more just because that's the sort of music I'm into.

Edit: I'd just like to be remembered as a good musician rather then whether I had groove or speed...