Sound proofing, please help!!!

Stimpy

I need to sound proof my drum room, but i have like almost no money lol. I am desperate need because i cannot play my kit until it is done :(

Can you please help me on what to use i.e egg boxes, carpet etc..do they actually work?

All ideas will be very helpful, thank you

steveund

Soundproofing is going to cost you some money.

Stuff like foam and wall liners are best bought at places like Guitar Center.
But I would check your local hardware store, Lowels, Home Depot about Sound Proofing Materials. I know there is a tile that does really good, and you can put it up on the walls.

Rockula!

Here's something that worked very well for me although it took a bit of time
I searched around for used matresses at Goodwill etc... that were cheap
They generally check those things for critters although there may be stains etc.. on them
It's amazing how leaning matresses up against your walls and ESPECIALLY in front of windows can contain a lot of sound

Dillface

It might not be what your looking for, but go buy some sound pads. I don't think thats what they are called, but they help (good ones do anyways).

But they aren't cheap, chEAP, CHEAP.

mudoyal

how sound proof are you talking? i just finished the controll room for my studio. but all i had to do was make sure that the walls held back enough sound that you could hear the monitors clearly at a talking level. if you have to do a real strict job, no matter what, it will cost you money. but yes just like what was said earlier, make sure you shop around at hardware stores before you go spending outragious money on simple things. also used mattress. that would work too.

Flatliner

yeah depending on how good it needs to be, you might be able to find a cheap used electronic drumkit for less.

Stimpy

i dont want it fully sound proof, just enuf to make my neighbours stop complaining lol.
My dad suggested putting wood all along the walla with about a 5 cm gap between the wall and wood, then carpet over.
Would this work?

Dillface

Your neighbors wouldn't happen to be old would they? Cuz that's my problem. :x
Whats even worse is my set is in my bedroom. We live in a manufactured home, and it's the only place it will fit.
-The walls are veery thin.
My major worry is... "Will my drumming "annoy" other surrounding neighbors?" Becuase we can easily be kicked out of our home for being "too loud".

Stimpy

yeh theres two old people, their skitsophranic daughter, and her husband lol.
we live in a semo detatched house, and my kit is also in my room.
its the furthest room from their house, but they still can hear it :x

Flatliner

the idea with the space between the walls will work very well but you'll have to make it pretty air tight for it to work.

Flatliner

These might be another option for when you can't play loudly:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/5 ... 0_kit.html

http://www.shopatron.com/product/produc ... .21643.0.0

http://www.music123.com/DW-Complete-Go- ... 6292.music

You might want to also have a real discussion with the neighbors about when they are usually out of the house or when they don't mind you playing that you can have every day. If they aren't willing to work something out with you they're real jerks and you might as well just play and wait to see if they ever call the cops or just get used to it like poeple learn to ignore trains passing by or loud city traffic.

drumkid523

if theres a window, get a piece of that egg crate foan stuff and put it in the frame, then get about a 1/2 in ch thick pieve of plywood and cut it and put that in the frame...put handles on the wood so you can pull it out so you can access the windows.
for the walls...i got big piece of particle board and glued various styrafoam pieve to them...and then hung the board from the ceiling..it works pretty well..

xdoseonex

its your house, you live there. unless its your parents complaining you can play all the drums you want as loud as you want untill a reasonable hour. and noone can stop you. at 11 pm they can call the cops if they want. but as long as you stop before thn there nothing they can do about it. ( the time around here is 11pm, it may be different in your area, check your local laws)