Sound Guys

DGFITZ

Been reading this forum lately, and seems many drummers really have a hard time with sound, sound men, and general
PA issues. Never was a problem for me because I was trained by a professional sound man when I was a brat, along with
drumming, and because this is my business, yes, the dirty word, business, I do all my sound for the band. But. You spend
so much time learning to play, and yet you never seem to get the right sound person, so how come you haven't studied
the principles of sound reproduction?? To tell the truth, a well trained drummer is one who does do the sound, period, and
it should be part of every drummers training to do the sound for the band, period, well ok, comma, but it is to your benefit
to do the sound for your band. Why? Your PA, monitors, and drums are the three most important mechanical elements of
any show, and when you control the sound, geetar players tend to play at YOUR level, bass players love you, and you can actually, truly, hear the singer/s, what a thrill. Hell, you might get so good that you will not even want to hear yourself in the monitors (except your vocals) and other so called sound men will be envious, and true sound professionals will love you, and
the audience of course will spread the word. So, how about it, got a problem with sound? Solve it by learning to do the sound
yourself. Any takers? 8)

LeJayk

I already study Music Tech and excelled at live sound. Its actually want I want to do with my life, knowing full well I'm not good enough to live off my drums.

But this is the thing. Drummers are there to be drummers. We're not expected to do the sound, sound engineers are. They're their to give us what we need to perform, and we're their to perform. Doing your own monitors is all well and good, but I don't know any bands that can afford their own monitors, mixers, mics, preamps etc.

But of course, if we did have our own equipment, it would be lugged on the drummer. Everything always is.

imjeffcanudigit

dude awesomeness my band including myself are REALLY picky when it comes to the way we sound; infact when our sound is at best we are real happy with it. My guitarist/lead singer does good with the guitars but p.a's i might learn how to use since we use keys vocals and drum mic's. That's a good idea you got there :)

DrumsPlus

It's great to learn all you can about sound and what goes into making your set sound good, but many of us have gotten bad information over the years. I've been playing on and off again for 20 something years in smaller towns and cities in the Midwest. It is not only hard to find an good sound guy but then to pick his or her brain is tough. I never went to school for it, so a lot of what I've done has been trial and error. Only recently have I had a guy who is a drummer and sound guy sit down with me and show me things. I do agree that learning a sound system should be done, it will make everyones life a lot easier.

BillRayDrums

You'd be surprised at how many soundmonkeys are actually drummers. :)

I have no problems with sound people usually. They are just part of the crew that are there to get a job done. Any external drama is generally not welcome and looked down upon.

If a sound guy asks you to put a piece of tape on the tom, just do it for them because they are obviously paying attention to your sound...or they are not yet to the level where they can cut a bit of 750hz from that drum.

If your band is that picky about the way you sound then it's usually a good idea to get your own sound guy and work with them.

Abject disrespect of anyone is not welcome anywhere on a stage. I've had a few run-ins but usually talking to the person is remedy enough.