So...

Rick_danger

I recently got a new kit, a PDP CXR, and I am very pleased with it. The only thing that bothers me is that I can't seem to get the drums tuned right. I'm not sure if it's my own tuning ability, which is probably it, or the heads. They still have the stock heads on them, but I'd imagine they'd be pretty good heads because they are DW heads by Remo. Anyway, are there any tips or good how-to's on tuning drums? Is there a trick to it?

Also, what kind of heads/tuning should I use to achieve a nice low pitch instead of a high one?

xdoseonex

factory heads do pretty much always suck. but i'v heard dw heads are accually good. i know neil peart uses them and his drums sound abolutely amazing.
this is from dw's website

DW drumheads are a special design made exclusively for DW by Remo. They have pressed counter-hoops and a sharp angle around the bearing edge. This combination of factors allows the head to sit better on the bearing edge and produces a very resonate and clear tone. DW heads can be special ordered through your local authorized DW dealer.

SGarrett

Make no mistake, those are not the same heads you get on a DW kit. DW owns PDP, they don't make PDP. PDP's stock heads suck ass. I bought an entire new set of heads when I got my LX.

Fleabear

Even if you got "new" heads when you bought the kit...they could've been on there for ages! Get new heads....

EOTE_drummer

SGarrett":116unayk said:
Make no mistake, those are not the same heads you get on a DW kit. DW owns PDP, they don't make PDP. PDP's stock heads suck ass. I bought an entire new set of heads when I got my LX.
actually certain pdp sets DO come with the SAME heads dw sets come with. mine did, i still didn't like em though.

right out of the box on my pdp set i switched those stock pdp heads out for good remo's, and saved those in case of hard times.

to save you alot of time, get new heads.