So, what do you when not playing drums????????????

Rob Crisp

dammow":2kqqfs5x said:
i was curious to know what you all do for a day job etc (if its not drums!) and general interests and hobbies...

i work as a carpenter/ joiner/ woodwork in all forms. i like it, the money is good and the job is different all the time.
also enjoy a drink at the weekends and the occasional smoke!

i know PJ makes drums and i know rob crisp is a radio DJ.

so what do the rest of you do???
I was this close (guestures with hands) to being a chippy myself. My best mate from back home is one and I used to go on jobs with him. Like you said, good pay, different every day and it's enjoyable. Some days I think maybe I should go and do it.

:)

Rob Crisp

BillRayDrums":3h3jbf5i said:
I am currently building websites. It's the one job that allows me to work wherever I am....like during the sermon this AM backstage at my church gig, lol!

Here's one of my sites- I am still working on it so pardon the occasional glitch.

http://surfmonk.com

FYI they are Britney Spears' across-the-street neighbors and I gotta go up there tomorrow. WooHoo!

Oops I did it again :D
Nice Bill! Web design is something I'm kinda messing about with. So much to try and learn but it's cool seeing how a bit of code appears on a screen.

Did you have any formal instruction or just grab some books and get stuck in?

iatemygoat

im currently attending school at Dunwoody College of Technology in Minneapolis studying automotive service. i have a crappy job at Tires Plus where im allowed to do tires, oil changes and now coolant flushes! YAY! id be satisfied if i could at least do tie rods or brakes!

other than that i enjoy the occasional smoke session with friends and i watch way too much television. also its very rare for me to NOT be listening to music.

im an ebay-aholic and am currently quitting for 40 days as the thing i gave up for lent. so far my money situation is the same. wierd? but im putting one of my sets for sale on there pretty soon since my friend backed out.

BillRayDrums

Rob Crisp":1006lh4t said:
BillRayDrums":1006lh4t said:
I am currently building websites. It's the one job that allows me to work wherever I am....like during the sermon this AM backstage at my church gig, lol!

Here's one of my sites- I am still working on it so pardon the occasional glitch.

FYI they are Britney Spears' across-the-street neighbors and I gotta go up there tomorrow. WooHoo!

Nice Bill! Web design is something I'm kinda messing about with. So much to try and learn but it's cool seeing how a bit of code appears on a screen.

I learn as I earn. :)
It's the sink or swim principle. I just jump in and get at it. Somewhere, someone needs YOUR services. THe price you set for your time is really all that matters, now isn't it?

Scrogs

I own and operate a small auto repair shop in Arizona. I'm married and a father of 3, ages 7 (boy), 5 (girl) and 1.5 (girl).
Its tough to find spare time but I enjoy shooting, fishing and camping. I just turned 33 and I'm starting to feel like an 'old guy' at some of the gigs
recently. Its been tough to try and put forth a good effort to drumming or any other hobby with a young familly right now. My wife
has been very good at picking up the loose ends for me. Wouldn't be possible without her support, or should I say permission? lol.

Most of all, I act like a 10-year-old kid as much as possible (no offense to any of the 10-year-olds here, I'm on your side).

I like to add...this was a good idea Dammow. Its nice to get to know people, such as where they are coming from and their background. I think you
get a little more out of their posts and/or replies if you have a better mental picture of them.

dammow

Rob Crisp":3285liv6 said:
dammow":3285liv6 said:
i was curious to know what you all do for a day job etc (if its not drums!) and general interests and hobbies...

i work as a carpenter/ joiner/ woodwork in all forms. i like it, the money is good and the job is different all the time.

I was this close (guestures with hands) to being a chippy myself. My best mate from back home is one and I used to go on jobs with him. Like you said, good pay, different every day and it's enjoyable. Some days I think maybe I should go and do it.

haha! fancy swapping for a week or two? ive always fancied a go at broadcasting too! lol

dammow

Scrogs":1s9bf35u said:
I like to add...this was a good idea Dammow. Its nice to get to know people, such as where they are coming from and their background. I think you
get a little more out of their posts and/or replies if you have a better mental picture of them.

yea, its the reason i did it i guess. talking to you guys almost everyday, its good to know what we're all up to from time to time! very interesting too!

Rob Crisp

BillRayDrums":2dd1ff5w said:
Rob Crisp":2dd1ff5w said:
BillRayDrums":2dd1ff5w said:

I learn as I earn. :)
It's the sink or swim principle. I just jump in and get at it. Somewhere, someone needs YOUR services. THe price you set for your time is really all that matters, now isn't it?
Think we've had the "sink of swim" convo on another thread. Someone once said to me "fake it until you make it"... I always took that as get the gig then worry about being able to do it.

:wink:

Rob Crisp

dammow":1anrcs6n said:
Rob Crisp":1anrcs6n said:
dammow":1anrcs6n said:

haha! fancy swapping for a week or two? ive always fancied a go at broadcasting too! lol
Haha, seriously though radio is one of those jobs where a lot of talentless people seemt o get quite far, through various means. You could probably do a show if you can talk confidently, it's that simple. I on the other hand could not build a beautiful hand crafted beech kitchen.

You have a real skill, I have an over active voice box..... somehow I just convinced someone to pay me for it... :p

dedrummervanrolf

Rob Crisp":1zw8frp2 said:
dammow":1zw8frp2 said:
Rob Crisp":1zw8frp2 said:
dammow":1zw8frp2 said:

Haha, seriously though radio is one of those jobs where a lot of talentless people seemt o get quite far, through various means. You could probably do a show if you can talk confidently, it's that simple. I on the other hand could not build a beautiful hand crafted beech kitchen.

You have a real skill, I have an over active voice box..... somehow I just convinced someone to pay me for it... :p
I've had a radio show too, for about 2 months:p Me and my best friend got offered the job by a friend of ours who was quitting that radio station and needed a replacement. We made a pretty decent show with returning topics and stuff, but we didn't really adjust to the radio station I guess, since we didn't post our playlists on their website or played the jingles and that stuff..we were just having a good time with two mics and a cd player:p

Rob Crisp

dedrummervanrolf":3ol88mp7 said:
Rob Crisp":3ol88mp7 said:
dammow":3ol88mp7 said:
Rob Crisp":3ol88mp7 said:
dammow":3ol88mp7 said:

I've had a radio show too, for about 2 months:p Me and my best friend got offered the job by a friend of ours who was quitting that radio station and needed a replacement. We made a pretty decent show with returning topics and stuff, but we didn't really adjust to the radio station I guess, since we didn't post our playlists on their website or played the jingles and that stuff..we were just having a good time with two mics and a cd player:p
Most people I know say the best radio they have done is the rare show where they can throw away the playlist and talk about what they want! Stopping 2 guys having fun with a mic is why radio all sounds so boring, as my mate just said, "there's no show in the business anymore" :p

i run an adult foster care home working with people with traumatic brain injuries and other various disabilities and addictions. i generally love my job, but on days when i'm getting spat at, having chairs thrown at me or otherwise having my life threatened, i wonder if i got in to the wrong field.

other than work and music, i paint (watercolors & acrylics), collect horror movie swag and raise three pugs. oh... and the wife and i are expecting are first kid (a boy - named cooper after the artist Coop) in early april.

fun stuff.