So, ever let your girlfriend come to band practice?

Reverend Chainsaw

For you guys who let your girlfriend come to band practice do you hear the following from her:

“Why do you guys play the same song over and over again?”
“This song sucks.”
“I’m board.”
“Can we go home now?”
“You do not need another beer hun!”
“I’m getting sleepy.”
“I’m going to miss the 11:00pm news”
“You do not have to YELL at me!!!”

Sound like a good topic hear? Lets discuss my fellow drummers!

Scott_Hurford

NEVER ask them to come to prac, here's why, you'll an
agree with most of these hopefully :lol:

1. they get BORED but dont tell u, they just drop sly hints here and there
2. u cant concentrate on playing sometimes coz u know your gf is there and u fell obligated to do certain things, like playing perfect, then fucking up -.-
3. they usually give u false comments about your music (your music is awsome! wow!!!) when u are just tuning your instruments :wink: haha

Rockula!

We had a decent sized room and video games to keep the girlfriends busy
They knew we were taking our time
They didn't distract us
They would go get burgers a lot
It's nice to have a couple of females around when your practicing
Keeps the mood light and provides some nice scenery
As long as they know that we are there to work and they don't get in the way then they are cool with me
I wouldn't go out with a chick that didn't understand that anyways
What applies to hanging out at practice applies to all things musical, gigs, promo, rehearsal, everything
A girlfriend has to realise that, even when you are going out to a club or something, you are still on the clock and need to work (schmooze, promote, make contacts etc...)
Besides
My chick is always hotter than most other's and they give you a bit of basic respect
Especiallly a big dumb goofy sumbich like me

johnmc2k

i brought mine a few times, until i got rid of her, she just sat quietly, recorded the odd song on her phone.

though i have had big problems with other band members girlfriends, might I add they are now former members....its called the Yoko Uno syndrome!!!

They GFs think theey are in the band!! you dont no how much this annoys me, either that or they sit there with a big sad face on, and then it destracts the boyfriend, who then brings her back next week, and the same thing goes on and on

Basically, if your serious, if you want your band to make it DONT bring your girlfriend

DO NOT BRING HER TO PRACTICE

gunny

Scott_Hurford":eoy334iz said:
NEVER ask them to come to prac, here's why, you'll an
agree with most of these hopefully :lol:

1. they get BORED but dont tell u, they just drop sly hints here and there
2. u cant concentrate on playing sometimes coz u know your gf is there and u fell obligated to do certain things, like playing perfect, then fucking up -.-
3. they usually give u false comments about your music (your music is awsome! wow!!!) when u are just tuning your instruments :wink: haha
Haha I would never get bored!
And would never complain
And as for giving false comments, screw that. If you suck, you suck XD

Reverend Chainsaw

johnmc2k":5sw3a5cc said:
Basically, if your serious, if you want your band to make it DONT bring your girlfriend

DO NOT BRING HER TO PRACTICE
Good choice of words. My band Hydrozeen is a 3 peice band, and I am the only single dude in the band, and practice up in my pad, and all of the 3 of us have agreeed, NO WOMEN. That would be sisters, wifes, girl friends and so on.
As a band, we just can not handle bitching from women.

Rockula!

I subscribe to a different point of view when it comes to women
The kind of women I associate with are generally the artistic type anyways
They understand the creative process and know not to interfere
It is not just to have a pretty face to look over at while you practce, it is the vibe that is created when you have a couple of cool chicks hanging out at rehearsal
They lighten the mood and they inspire as well
Of course, if you have a typical girlfriend that is not artisticaly inclined, then you have a problem

There used to be a time when "groupie" was not such a maligned word
Obviously, I am not saying that any woman who is a girlfriend of a band member is a groupie, I am just syaing that there was once a time when women considered themselves to be a modern form of a Muse
They had cool names and great outfits
They knew how to present themselves and behaved like they belonged in such a creative environment
Their art was to inspire those who made the art they loved
Of course, it is a very sexist and basic concept which almost always involved the chick doing memebers of the band and/or roadies but the ones that get mentioned in book/movies/magazines/song lyrics were the ones who were more than just chicks looking to do someone in a band

Those are the types of girls I like to go out with
The "normal" girls usually don't last very long

Reverend Chainsaw

. What ever flips your boat dude. I respect your point a view. The way I see it, it’s a time when the men bullshit about what ever, drink some brew, and kick out the jams. That’s what band practice is all about for Hydrozeen. Each band practice has it challenges, most of those challenges come in the winter time.

brian

lol! our guitarist brought his girlfriend once and she bitched the whole time and told us how to do our jobs (she took like one semester of theory and was stoned the whole time) so she thinks she knows everything about music, so the next time she came we told her to sit in the corner on the couch and shut the fuck up!

Reverend Chainsaw

brian":3gwrtfua said:
lol! our guitarist brought his girlfriend once and she bitched the whole time and told us how to do our jobs (she took like one semester of theory and was stoned the whole time) so she thinks she knows everything about music, so the next time she came we told her to sit in the corner on the couch and shut the fuck up!
Dude, thats why you do not bring your women over. Plain and simple bro.

chris_stuff_er

i'm the only single guy in my bands. the other guys have brought various females from time to time, but for the most part they sit quietly, whether bored or not. one of my guitarists' wife comes often, and she's pretty hip, so most of the time she'll make the beer runs. it helps that our rehearsal space is on a strip of beer shops, so she can just walk and stock us up. never really had a negative experience yet.

minimatt7

Reverend Chainsaw":1sxulq2f said:
brian":1sxulq2f said:
Dude, thats why you do not bring your women over. Plain and simple bro.

Yeah Def. Bros before Hoes Dude :D

my wife stays at home. from personal experience, it's always been a problem having girlfriends / friends come to practice. at least when you're trying to write stuff. it seems to be more of a distraction than a benefit.

if we're just running through a set or something, that's a little different... but if we're actually trying to write?

no way.

Rockula!

My old bass player's wife was allowed to have input at rehearsals because she only spoke about things she knew
He tended to forget what he wrote and she listened to him write on piano at their house for hours and hours
He would forget the part and she would have to show it to him
Any other time, she would go back to the playstation

I never had a problem with females at practice as long as they knew the protocol

killdrum1983

brought her more than once and she said she liked it. she doesn't complaint about the beer or pot (cause she smokes too lol) everything's allright with her actually :D i maybe lucky :D