Snare Wires?

shrub

I need to know how different amounts of wires effect the snare. Also what do different types of metal do to the sound?

Howepirate

God, I'm ready to make this a sticky! I've been wondering this as well. Come on people, Feedback, FeedBACK!!!

anavrinIV

from my understanding, the more snares you have the more snarelike your drum will sound and the more sensitive it will be, if that makes any sense. smaller sets of snares (12, 16) will have more of a quick pop to them while larger strands (32, 36, 42) will have more of a full sound with more snare buzz. as for the different metals, i think that they would keep some of the same properties as a shell of the same properties would have. for example, steel would give a bright sound, aluminum a sharp sound with a more mellow tone, brass and bronze a bit darker and warmer. also, the size of the wind will affect the sound. a tightly wound set of snares will probably be more sensative and react better at lower dynamics with a tighter sound while largely wound snares will be less sensitive but make the drum explode once opened up fully.

all of this ive gotten from explanations from other drummers on the subject, from websites that make snares, and from my own knowledge of how sound works in the rest of drumming.

personally, i want to try some split 24 strand wires. the split is supposed to help eliminate sympathetic vibrations, and the larger strand of wires will give my snare more snare sound.

Call me Gideon

I have to say that I actually get more of a crack, with little to no snare buzz, out of my 42 strand than I was ever able to get when I was using fewer strands. I picked them up because a friend had a beautiful snare sound that I wanted and asked how he had his snare set up. The only real difference was that he had a 42 strand on his. My snare cracks so much that I've acutally had a few people think that my 14x6 is a piccolo, until they see it.

dbkman

from what ive seen, anavrin is right, the more strands, the more treble and snare buzz. i prefer more pop and shell sound.

AmnestysLowEnd

I find that my 42 strand also got rid of some resonace, I'm talking a tiny bit but it also help my 14x6.5 yamaha brass alittle more focused which I like.

anavrinIV

AmnestysLowEnd":1wpvxar6 said:
I find that my 42 strand also got rid of some resonace, I'm talking a tiny bit but it also help my 14x6.5 yamaha brass alittle more focused which I like.
is your brass the nouveau? i was watching a video of godsmack and saw that shannon larkin was using a brass yamaha nouveau, i believe a 6.5x14 and it sounded great, id love to get my hands on one.

AmnestysLowEnd

no its an older yamaha. Its one of the sickest sners I have played/heard it has a great tunning range and I forgot to mention I got it for FREE!!!!

dunkerton12

Check out the puresound snare site: http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/wiredforsound.htm

This particular page has a great video to help out with snare wires.

Whoever said that the metal used in the wires will be the sound you get is correct. Puresound wires give you a great sound with a bit of a lower pitch. Very nice wires and I wouldn't use anything else on my snare drums.

Also take into consideration the width of your snare bed, and choose snares accordingly. A narrow or vintage snare bed will not be appropriate for a 42 strand snare wire set.

Also, you will notice a difference in sound if you use cables versus the plastic straps on your wires. The cables will give you a more open sound, while the plastic straps will give you a more focused and tighter sound.