Snare ring

drummert2k

also, what kind of snare are you using. a bigger metal snare will naturally ring more than a wooden piccolo. let us know what heads your using about what snare you have and we'll all see if we can get your snare rockin!

ultrastu

iatemygoat":200t6q9c said:
i use a zer-0-ring (technically right now its a cut up head shaped in a circle)

try one of those.
yeh i find they work really well also leaves a bit of natural resonance which moongel or tape would take away.

skitch

Drummersefton":sdaoohi9 said:
just put a small amount of duck tape on it or a O ring
Let's try using Gaffers' tape instead. It is more expensive but you won't have any nasty reside left when you remove and you won't look like such a hillbilly when you play out in public.

iatemygoat

skitch":2rz39ta0 said:
Drummersefton":2rz39ta0 said:
just put a small amount of duck tape on it or a O ring
Let's try using Gaffers' tape instead. It is more expensive but you won't have any nasty reside left when you remove and you won't look like such a hillbilly when you play out in public.
i could care less what my heads look like. i used to duct tape them all the time with a little material underneith. but that was before found out about zer o rings. i break a snare head every 6 months or so anyway so...yeah

mapexdrummer

it could be your tuning? or how tight you have your snare lines...heads dont quite matter unless they are old and beaten, not to mention the type...but if they are new its more than likely your tuning

X Day-mow X

tape a tampon to the rim and tape a lil bit of the cord to the head. stops it just enough. zuss use's that wen he records drums. even hatebreed.

FelterSkelter

Man....I just ran out of tampons too..... I've heard this problem can be corrected by detuning the lug closest to you. Just a half turn or so.

golfchance

Try putting an "inch worm" of duct tape on the top head a couple of inches in from the rim. It can help dampen unwanted overtones without killing the response and overall tone of the drum.

Personally, I can't stand a snare that doesn't have at least a little ring. The drum has to be in tune, though.

Beej

I really like those gels they've come out with. Duct tape will also work of course. And of course it all depends on how much you wish to deaden the ring.[/b]

infiznitch

brandon8robinson":1r1i4ojx said:
My snare is letting off a ring that's noticeable.
I tighten the bottom and nothing happens
What's the problem?
well, you could try buying an emad dampener. I just made my own out of a strip of duct tape, and overlapped it over the rim onto the head that way it's easier to control how much of the tape you want touching it. you don't even have to press it down depending on how much of the ring you want taken away. I only used that for studio though, because i personally like the ring in my snare, however engineers seem to have trouble dealing with the natural ring of a snare. " dude we can just put reverb on it later!" assholes.

Drummer93

If your set is tuned right and you dont use tape or any extra stuff you will always have ring.....but to minimize it you might want to tighten your reasonce tom heads.....sometimes its not the snare

Jiggarelli

Keep in mind that you are really the only one hearing it. The ring actually helps your sound cut through to the crowd.

If you absolutly have to muffle it I reccomend the Vater BuzzKills - They are fantastic, I use them in the studio all the time, as well as live.