snare rattling when tom is hit

spacemanspiff

New drummer, so go easy on me. When I hit my tom right above my snare, it makes the snare rattle. Is this normal or if it isn't, is there a fix for this?

skitch

spacemanspiff":293vyjqm said:
New drummer, so go easy on me. When I hit my tom right above my snare, it makes the snare rattle. Is this normal or if it isn't, is there a fix for this?
You have a sympathetic vibration which is caused by the two drums being close in pitch in their tunings. You most likely need to tune one of both drums away from each other.

Rob the Drummer

You could have some loose snare wires, try tightening them a little. You will naturally get "snare buzz" when you play on your other drums. So if it's minimal, don't worry about it. If it's way too much, you should tune up your snare or tighten the snare wires.

Drumosaurus

Its probably just the acoustics of the room your playing in. my snare drum rattles all the time in my room but when I played in a big roomy space the drums didnt rattle the snare.

Homki890

Its the snares on the snare drum. They're going to rattle a little when something is struck or a noise is heard. Mine vibrate when my stereo is on. It's nothing bad, it's natural. You can try to lessen it by using electrical tape and taping the snares to the bottom head, but then you loose the open tom sound when snares are off. You can loosen them, but the crack of the snare will lessen. Its all in what you want to do, just know that this is not a bad thing, just a drum quirk.

Homki890

mattcore

somehing you can do to lessen it (because its impossible to get rid of) is to tune the tension rods, the two at each end of the snares that are closest to the wires, down or up depending on the tuneing of your rack tom. But whatever you do dont put electrical tape over your snares please! that is unless you would like your snare to sound like shit.

Gretz

I've always let it go.... it's what ties the drum set together and makes it sound like an instrument as opposed to a bunch of seperate drums.

9 times out of 10 if you're standing a few feet away from the kit or playing with other musicians it disappears anyway.

xdoseonex

whats accually happeneing is tha that tom is hitting a certain frequency that makes your snare rattle. tune that tom to a different frequency and the rattling will stop