snare for reggae

Qbs

I'm pretty sure most of you know that almost timbale like sound of a snare drum used in reggae music - it's very high pitched, penetrating, with a really ringy tone and it becomes even better with some reverb :).
Now, I know that I can achieve that sound by tuning my Pearl FFS 14x3,5" way high and playing it close to the rim but I need a smaller (about 10") auxilliary snare drum that would do the job. I was thinking about Mapex Pro Steel 10x5,5" snare drum or maybe a Pearl Firecracker but I'd like to hear your ideas on this.

big_richard90

yeah i recon the 10" ones are much better, i recently played a 10x6 pdp popcorn snare and i thought it was great, not too expensive either
if that helps at all

scottiedo06

I wish I could tell you the exact model of Chad Sexton's snare (311), but I would highly recommend something with larger vents on the side of the snare (it helps project sound), and then tune it as high as you feel necessary.

Macko

i agree with big_richard90, ive tried the pDp my self, since i started playin in a reggae band recently, and i really like it and am giving some tought in buyin it asap.

Alexander

Chad Sexton plays Orange county drums and percussion it seems.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTrGtL7vJEY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTrGtL7vJEY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Tonydrummerkid

big_richard90":3ec3n493 said:
yeah i recon the 10" ones are much better, i recently played a 10x6 pdp popcorn snare and i thought it was great, not too expensive either
if that helps at all
Yeah i really like the sound of those little pdp's

evolver311

scottiedo06":2welak24 said:
I wish I could tell you the exact model of Chad Sexton's snare (311), but I would highly recommend something with larger vents on the side of the snare (it helps project sound), and then tune it as high as you feel necessary.
Chad uses a 5.5 or 6.5 x 14 (usually 6.5) 30 ply maple snare with four 2.5 inch vents. He tunes both heads very tight, with the bottom head a bit tighter than the top.

quikstang2

I've got a Mapex Black Panther 10x5.5 but it's maple. It's super loud and has a great crack. The steel version should have the extra ring you'd need. They come with a suspension mount and are ready to rock.

Chad's snare would be a good choice as well.

rufus4dagruv

My main gig is in a Reggae band. If you opt for a 10" snare, I would recommend that you also invest in a groove wedge for cross sticking. Roots Reggae involves quite a bit of cross sticking, and you will run into difficulty recreating this sound with a 10" drum.

You may want to consider using the 10" as an auxiliary for rim shot back beats and something like a 14x5 supraphonic with a very tight tuning for the cross stick.

Also, there are tons of cool snare sounds used in various forms of Reggae. The feel is the most important aspect of the music. As long as you are comfortable with the sound(s) of your snare(s), the riddims with flow.

break the prism

a very tight, washy sound is what you want. try a popcorn snare or pdp side snare.
you could also do well with a piccolo snare, preferably metal to get a tinny sound.

Qbs

Thanks for all you suggestions. Unfortunately OCDP is not an option in my country.

rufus4dagruv:
This 10" will be an aux snare - I have a Pearl FFS 14x6,5" as my main snare and it suits me extremely well :) - I need this 10" aux snare to be that almost timbale sound which you can hear all over various riddims. I don't want anything bigger (like 12" or 14") that's why I'm thinking of Pearl Firecracker

Qbs

okay - I've found a perfect solution to show you guys what I want.
Check out this short Seeed live clip and notice the aux snare - that's the sound that I want to achive. I have no idea as what snare Based (the drummer) is using on this particular clip but I've seen some other clips with him playing Pearl drums and I'm pretty sure he had a Firecracker.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_j4DUeneg4g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_j4DUeneg4g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Notice the snare at 0:35 - that's what I want :)

FelterSkelter

I think the TOCA timbale snare comes in an 8 and a 10 inch. This would be a very low budget add-on and a space saver as it isn't very deep. You can take the snares off as well.

Qbs":3jw2gofl said:
okay - I've found a perfect solution to show you guys what I want.
Check out this short Seeed live clip and notice the aux snare - that's the sound that I want to achive. I have no idea as what snare Based (the drummer) is using on this particular clip but I've seen some other clips with him playing Pearl drums and I'm pretty sure he had a Firecracker.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_j4DUeneg4g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_j4DUeneg4g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Notice the snare at 0:35 - that's what I want :)

i just watched the video, and i noticed his snare is triggered. that could possibly be something to think about.

but yeah, i'm going for that exact sound you're talking about. i've given up on trying to buy a snare that sounds like that, so i'm building a new one, to go with my new custom set. if the woods come out right and sizes and what not give me the sound i've been going for, which is basically the same thing as what you want, i'll tell you what kind of wood and all the specs of the drum.

happy drumming,
kevin

Qbs

kevin owns at life":3d3z0m4x said:
i just watched the video, and i noticed his snare is triggered. that could possibly be something to think about.

but yeah, i'm going for that exact sound you're talking about. i've given up on trying to buy a snare that sounds like that, so i'm building a new one, to go with my new custom set. if the woods come out right and sizes and what not give me the sound i've been going for, which is basically the same thing as what you want, i'll tell you what kind of wood and all the specs of the drum.

happy drumming,
kevin
I didn't notice the trigger ;) and I'd rather buy a Roland SPD-S pad than to trigger a snare

let me know about that snare you're building. i'm curious about the results because I wasn't even considering a wooden snare for this :idea: