Snare buzz when hitting toms

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed or not, so if it has i apologize.
I noticed as of late that when i hit my toms i get some really nasty snare buzz. I have tried to remedy this by tightening my snare more but it is still happening. Can anybody give me some advice on how to remedy this problem. Thank you in advance.

Peace
T

Rockaflodge

I dont know about any body eles but I have always, (sence the frist day I started playing-10 years ago) hade that buzz, mine is not nasty but it does buzz alittle when playing the rest of the kit. It does not bother me. I dont know if it can be fixed because the reason it buzzs is the low frequency of the toms resonate out wards and cause the snares to vibrate and you get the buzz. hope its some help-but if anybody knows how to stop, let us know how.

Zim

As do we all. I have found that if my snare is not on to much of a pitch it doesnt buzz as bad. I really hate when we are doing a quieter song onstage and I can hear the snare buzz when the bass player is playing. I try to make sure my snares are flat and if the strainer is jacked up even a little I change the strainer that helps alot too. I have 6 differant snare drums so I have found if I change em' up a bit I don't have too much trouble w/ buzz.

tabbott23

guys, it's a drum set. it will buzz when you hit your toms if the frequencies between the toms and the snare are similar. it's NOTHING to do with your kit or whether its 'nice' or not. it's tuning. also, if your snare is a 14" and your toms are even sizes (i.e. 10",12",14",16") the frequencies will naturally be closer. with odd sized toms, the buzzing is less. you listen to vinnie's kit or gregg bissonette's. they all buzz.

drumtone

i get this problem with the amps the guitarists use. my snare buzzes on low frequencies. the bassist in my band says he likes it cuz it helps him tune, but it drives me crazy. i've seen the pros mount up fiberglass or plastic shields around the set, but never tried it myself.

weeksj

towels are definately not the go, unless ur jusr banging away at home and u dont care, and damping rings dont stop the buzz.

some snares are worse than others, try talking to someone in your local drum store theyll show point u in the direction of a good strainer.

otherwise practise how quick u can work your throw off in the quiet songs.

Muse

As a rule, muffling only makes a drum quieter and as someone stated before, the key relies in tuning. Sometimes that takes too long or seems impossible and it becomes necessary to muffle. When doing so, I've found that the old adage... "Less is More" works well. To much muffling and you loose subtle nuances and overtones that can't breathe or resonate when the head is choked.
Sympathetic frequencies can be hard to tune out at times. If two drums share the same note or close to it they may both resonate when one is struck. Likewise for a bass guitar or guitar playing and causing a drum to "sing".
As for the actual snare rattle you might make sure the snare belly is good. Allowing proper alignment of the snares into the bottom head. And I've found that better quality snares perform better, don't stretch & last longer.

Preston

There's no way to stop it completely. Does it really matter? When the band is playing, no one's going to hear it any way. If there's part of a song where it's very quiet and the drums aren't playing, it can be heard, but just turn off the snares with the throw off strainer until you have to start playing. After you start playing the buzz isn't important. I've been playing pro for 46 years, doing live, recording and TV, and it's never been a major concern. We just have to live with it. To muffle the toms or snare or tighten the snares until it doesn't buzz only makes the drums sound awful. I would rather have the buzz than the sound of overly muffled drums or choked snare drums.

deep-illusions

Yeah, the snares chain will always resonate. Its kinda physics law of waves, however to avoid some of the vibrations u might wanna dissperce the wave.
There are some snare chains that are better than others at that. I use one (sorry, dont remember the name) where it has 6 lines on top, then a small space with a padded sort of band and then the other 6 lines on the bottom... It doesnt affect the sound of the snare much (to me it feels warmer than when i had it with all the chains together) just as a normal new chain would. It diminishes slightly the vibration so it might help. I personally like the dynamics of the kit, so whether it vibrates or not i love it haha.

phoenix7289

Yah I really only have this issue with outside sounds, not from my toms or anything. I mean, of course it is there, but I don't really notice it much. I guess, I can't say anything other than what others have said before me. =/

zappawizard

It's A little thing called "sympathetic resonance", as has been mentioned, the tom and the snare are resonating at the same frequency, try tuning your bottom tom head a little higher and maybe your snare head a little looser. Basically move their tunings aways from each other. there will always be a certain amount of snare buzz regardless of what you do however, so just get used to that.

taylorbrinneman

I had that same problem and i put one of our old Evans MX White marching heads on my snare leftover from school. I cranked it real tight as well as my snares. I shouldn't say problem solved, as i play with headphones and dont notice it at home, but for the most part I think it worked.

nitro_drummer

Just tape a small peice of tissue or paper towel with masking tape to the bottom of your snare and it should stop the bottom head from vibrating to much> enough to where you can play and it still sounds fine but not all the extra buzz from the toms and amps from guitarists. Just expirement with how much to use but that normaly does the trick

i find that folding up a tissue and taping near the rim on the skin of the tom's (inside works better) limits this. But you can still here it when the bass is prominant in the particular song. Best solution i found is pushing a knee up against the wire to stop it when ur not playing.

johnny-boy

Snare buzz is created by complimentary frequencies ......

Try tuning the toms that give you the most buzz in small increments ....tuning the batter and resonant heads until the buzz is dimimished or elimanated......

Also check on the proximity of your toms to the snare drum.....sometimes making a small adjustment will diminish the buzz.....

You can try tuning the batter and resonant heads of the snare as well and try different throw-off snare tension settings......sometimes a piece of duct tape placed on the resonant snare head, NOT the snares themselves!, will help with this problem...

Although it may be noticeable to you when you're playing alone, snare buzz rarely is audible in a live band setting......recording is a different matter......some snare buzz is OK.....

manicdrums

I think it's important to remember that we are dealing with a "DRUM KIT" here.... not a grouping of separate drums. With that in mind, all the drums are going to interact with each other to SOME extent.

The key to minimising thie snare buzz is to try and make sure the pitch of each tom is not the same as either head of the snare drums. Now I tend to like a fairly tight snare head, even if the batter head is loose. This can help to reduce the amount of sympathetic buzz. also, actually tightening or loosening the snares themselves might help.

It's easy to get obsessive about this. When it comes down to it, you can damp all your drums till they no longer ring sympathetically with each other, and your kit will soound as dead as a Dodo!

Listen to Steve Gadd's drum kit on certain albums (especially Grover Washington Jr. and Richard Tee, from the 1970's and 80's), and you can hear the snares buzzing in sympathy with the top tom (in particular). This is normally the one that triggers the buzz, being closest in pitch to the snare.

Another 'quick fix' you might try is to put a small piece of tissue paper between the snares and snare head, but I warn you... this does dampen the actual snare sound a little.
Hope this helps