Snare batter head damage...

kvltmonkey

My batter head has a bunch of little indents from me hitting them. Is that a bad thing? Do I need to buy a new head for it, or just play a little softer?

AmnestysLowEnd

You have killed te head time for a new one look for a two ply head like an Emperor from Remo or G2 from Evans. They will last longer.

Edge3591

There are some thicker heads that you can purchase. I'm sure someone else will have more detail about this.

But to your question: Indents happen, I have them on my tom heads and such and snare also. They happen. Don't worry about it so much just replace the head ever so often.

In my opinion you shouldn't have to play softer unless it's your choice to. Just get a thick head and your set.

Dynamics are good too.

-MIKE-

It may be because of the tips on your sticks.

Dents will happen with acorn (spherical) tipped sticks, no matter how light you play or how good your technique.

If you use acorn tips, you may want to try some almond shaped tips.
They will put much more surface area on the head, spreading out the force, so the head won't dent as easily.

ThePloughman

Heads too loose. Hitting too hard. Crappy Head. Angle of your hit.

How tight do you tune?
Hitting hard really takes away from what you can do on a drum, its a huge waste of energy. And it breaks things unnecessarily. Hard hitting alone isnt what dents a head. You can hit really hard and not do damage, provided you are doing it right.
Low quality head.....that explains itself.
And your angle....... how much tilt do you have on your snare? The angle of attack at which your tip contacts the head, has a lot to do with splitting snare heads, dents, and even holes. Angle will transform your tip into a knife blade, especially when you hit hard.

Just something to look at seriously.

-MIKE-

ThePloughman":16avwtl0 said:
Hitting hard really takes away from what you can do on a drum, its a huge waste of energy.
Can you explain this, before I vehemently disagree? :)

-MIKE-

ThePloughman":1ujabalp said:
No, but go ahead and vehemently disagree. Its a free country.
Your original generalized statement, left alone without explanation/clarification, is patently false.

Having watched the video you provided, I still think your statement is, at best, subjective preference.

I don't see anything in that video that needed a lighter touch, except a single stoke crescendo roll on which Travis, ironically, used a lighter touch.

Could the song have been played with more finesse and still have sounded the same? Sure. But he's not playing in church. He's obviously having a blast and playing well. Since when drumming all about conservation of energy?

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't like to listen to Travis Barker in the least.

Now, I totally agree that if a guy can only play hard and has poor technique, it's a problem.

You're sounding a bit like an old codger. :)

BTW, I LOVE your Rogers collection. Brings back some memories.

DrumsPlus

-MIKE-":2wnei5vs said:

Dents will happen with acorn (spherical) tipped sticks, no matter how light you play or how good your technique.

They will put much more surface area on the head, spreading out the force, so the head won't dent as easily.
I destroyed my set of heads with SD1 Generals. I round tip and heavy weight with a heavy hitter equals trashed heads. As you stated, it will happen no matter what, but I found out the hard way that if you hit hard and you don't have the right sticks, you will trash your stuff quickly.

I also use a 2 ply.

ThePloughman

I admit to being an old codger.

Travis barker is Travis Barker. I dont listen to his music. But I have watched some vids of his drumming, and he is impressive. He isnt just a hard hitter. He does have great skill. And hes not faking it. No matter who likes him or doesnt like him.

Theres been a multitude of posts and threads about playing others kits, or having someone play yours, about the relevance of good technique.... actually theres several active right now. Even with Travis Barker being who he is..... there are few regular guys here who would want someone using their gear like that at a show. Even if it was Travis Barker. If you can afford to play like that, and can financially handle the repurcussions of playing like that..... then by all means do so. Most of us cannot. I cant afford to buy a new set of cymbals to record one song, or to replace those cymbals every time that song is performed. It would be interesting to know how many times that 3 minutes is performed on the same cymbals. Being paid to perform like that is one thing. But that doesnt translate into the real world. Guys who play like that buy a lot of gear.

Needless to say.....
The wrong sticks. The wrong tension. The wrong technique. The wrong angle, and really overplaying hard.... give a guy just exactly the kind of head damage this thread was about.

EOTE_drummer

if you have a dent in your head, you have basically killed it, for it will never sound the same as it did. it is playable, but you lose a lot of tone. not everybody can replace them that often though. i am overdue for new ones, going for evans ec2's this time, but i was in the city and went to guitar center, and they didn't have all my sizes. so i guess i'll do some more damage to these heads.

Edge3591

-MIKE-":l6m07we4 said:
ThePloughman":l6m07we4 said:
No, but go ahead and vehemently disagree. Its a free country.
Your original generalized statement, left alone without explanation/clarification, is patently false.

Having watched the video you provided, I still think your statement is, at best, subjective preference.

I don't see anything in that video that needed a lighter touch, except a single stoke crescendo roll on which Travis, ironically, used a lighter touch.

Could the song have been played with more finesse and still have sounded the same? Sure. But he's not playing in church. He's obviously having a blast and playing well. Since when drumming all about conservation of energy?

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't like to listen to Travis Barker in the least.

Now, I totally agree that if a guy can only play hard and has poor technique, it's a problem.

You're sounding a bit like an old codger. :)

BTW, I LOVE your Rogers collection. Brings back some memories.
When I hear some recordings that they aren't putting some power/hard hitting into it. It sounds weaker. (This is only for hard song situations)

I'm all for hard hitting but I'm definetly all for dynamics as well. I do both. But I also exert alot of energy when playing. Puts some passion in your drumming.

Just my opinion.

EDIT:btw
I love the TRavis Barker remake. Not much for blink or soulja, but put the drummer and soulja together. You gots the dynamic duo!

-MIKE-

Edge3591":28jr2piv said:
When I hear some recordings that they aren't putting some power/hard hitting into it. It sounds weaker. (This is only for hard song situations)
You know there's a lot of truth to that in the studio environment. One of the sure signs of a guy who doesn't have much studio experience is if he doesn't hit hard.

(There are reasons for hitting hard in the studio that take this discussion on a tangent.)

BillRayDrums

-MIKE-":1h4gc0d7 said:

Everyone Welcome Mr. Mike Radcliffe, My homey from long ago, and the author of an absolute KILLER drum tuning method.

Welcome to the pool, Mike!

That being said, try this- take a bic lighter and "flic yo' bic" on the drumhead. Apply a little bit of heat evenly (as in keep moving around and over the ding, without melting through) and you'll see that ding magically disappear. :)

-MIKE-

BillRayDrums":1t186hwr said:
-MIKE-":1t186hwr said:

Everyone Welcome Mr. Mike Radcliffe, My homey from long ago, and the author of an absolute KILLER drum tuning method.

Yeah, Bill drug me in here alright. Signal to noise ration is probably a lot better.

Man, we have known each other for a while. I remember, right when I moved to Nashvegas, I was going to sub that gig for you. Seems like forever ago.

BillRayDrums

-MIKE-":33j8nvas said:
BillRayDrums":33j8nvas said:
-MIKE-":33j8nvas said:

Yeah, Bill drug me in here alright. Signal to noise ration is probably a lot better.

Man, we have known each other for a while. I remember, right when I moved to Nashvegas, I was going to sub that gig for you. Seems like forever ago.
I believe we have known each other for about 13 years now. JEEZ

How's Grando? Tell him HI for me.

Vetis

Ok. I'd love to throw a few pointers out there for people to mull through.

1. I dont care what your name is...you are NOT Travis Barker. Unless you actually are Travis Barker...then in that case I hate how you set your kit up.

2. Every drummer will have their own view on proper technique. For me I dont hit hard. I dont need to. I have my snare tuned tight so it projects itself out there. So if you feel the need to hit to produce volume...tune your snare tighter, buy a dampening ring, and keep on chuggin.

3. Aquarian Hi-Energy snare batter head. I have used that snare head for the last two years, and I have not even gotten close to denting it once; even when I let my dumbass friends play my kit.

So to answer the question that this thread was founded upon: Tune your snare tighter, dont hit so hard if you can help it, and keep on playin'.