Slide technique

46&2

New member
just started learning it today after watching a u tube video...so i have decided to stop cheating on my triplets wit my double bass haha..it came easier than i thott for just beats and stuff...but the triplets are tough to do at the moment..i tightened up my cobra spring tension and this seems to help..any other advice to better my slide technique or just thotts would be great!
 

SGarrett

New member
Bong":3p9u0yjo said:
SGarrett":3p9u0yjo said:
Bong":3p9u0yjo said:
SGarrett":3p9u0yjo said:
As far as I'm concerned, sliding is still cheating.
Ah, Garrett you hard ass! :lol:
That I am. :lol:
So....................Is Scott Garrett going to be in the house?
Hopefully, Garrett will be a travel agent by then and able to hook the homies up. Ya herd. (pun intended)

drumur":3p9u0yjo said:
As far as I'm concerned, sliding is still cheating.

Isn't this how Jeff Porcaro played kick?
Also, Mike Johnston
I've given Mike shit about it, too. :D

To me, it's as much a cheater stroke as relying solely on rebound for the second note of a double-stroke.
 

shine.fm-youth

New member
SGarrett":vteqlvdv said:
Bong":vteqlvdv said:
SGarrett":vteqlvdv said:
Bong":vteqlvdv said:
SGarrett":vteqlvdv said:
As far as I'm concerned, sliding is still cheating.
Ah, Garrett you hard ass! :lol:
That I am. :lol:
So....................Is Scott Garrett going to be in the house?
Hopefully, Garrett will be a travel agent by then and able to hook the homies up. Ya herd. (pun intended)

drumur":vteqlvdv said:
As far as I'm concerned, sliding is still cheating.

Isn't this how Jeff Porcaro played kick?
Also, Mike Johnston
I've given Mike shit about it, too. :D

To me, it's as much a cheater stroke as relying solely on rebound for the second note of a double-stroke.

thank god someone agrees with that,
my old drumline instructor always used rebound with diddles
and i'd always call him out on it
and he always said "i'm the teacher aren't i"
but i always told him he was wrong
 

stump

New member
Since shoulder injuries messed me up I must admit that I have been bad and gotten away from my sticking. I did make a resolution to get back to the basics though! Working on it! Peace on ya!
 

dammow

New member
what is 'sliding'?? I play single bass pedal and have no problem with triplets but im a little confused!
 

SGarrett

New member
stump":1l032lls said:
Since shoulder injuries messed me up I must admit that I have been bad and gotten away from my sticking. I did make a resolution to get back to the basics though! Working on it! Peace on ya!
Gotta work around injuries the best you can. No shame in that, my man. 8)

dammow":1l032lls said:
what is 'sliding'?? I play single bass pedal and have no problem with triplets but im a little confused!
Put the ball of your foot about half-way up the footboard, heel up, and play a stroke. Now pick your foot up slightly and slide it forward on the footboard during the rebound stroke, for a double.
 

dammow

New member
SGarrett":2djmwb0l said:
Put the ball of your foot about half-way up the footboard, heel up, and play a stroke. Now pick your foot up slightly and slide it forward on the footboard during the rebound stroke, for a double.

ahh, thanks, that sounds kind of awkward to me! guess its just one of those bad habits!
 

Alan_

New member
how is using rebound cheating? And all those hours I put into perfecting a nice clean double stroke roll...I personally find the slide move harder to execute than playing a triplet in the normal manner on bass drum. It's also hard to get the same power out of sliding up the footboard that one gets actually articulating the strokes normally.

just as an aside, I love practicing double strokes with my hands going back and forth between sticking every stroke and rebounding them while trying to keep the sound consistent. same with paradiddles.
 

46&2

New member
dammow":1xgyqour said:
SGarrett":1xgyqour said:
Put the ball of your foot about half-way up the footboard, heel up, and play a stroke. Now pick your foot up slightly and slide it forward on the footboard during the rebound stroke, for a double.

ahh, thanks, that sounds kind of awkward to me! guess its just one of those bad habits!

its not really a bad habit lol..its just a way of doing double strokes on the bass drum...im not to slick with my double stroke on a bass drum..for some reason my feet cant go that fast at a consistant speed while doing triplets....so im trying to learn the slide technique as an alternative method.
 

SGarrett

New member
Alan_":1ls7rmuy said:
how is using rebound cheating? And all those hours I put into perfecting a nice clean double stroke roll...I personally find the slide move harder to execute than playing a triplet in the normal manner on bass drum. It's also hard to get the same power out of sliding up the footboard that one gets actually articulating the strokes normally.

just as an aside, I love practicing double strokes with my hands going back and forth between sticking every stroke and rebounding them while trying to keep the sound consistent. same with paradiddles.
Relying solely on rebound is cheating. Using rebound is not. There's a difference. :)

46&2":1ls7rmuy said:
dammow":1ls7rmuy said:
SGarrett":1ls7rmuy said:
Put the ball of your foot about half-way up the footboard, heel up, and play a stroke. Now pick your foot up slightly and slide it forward on the footboard during the rebound stroke, for a double.

ahh, thanks, that sounds kind of awkward to me! guess its just one of those bad habits!

its not really a bad habit lol..its just a way of doing double strokes on the bass drum...im not to slick with my double stroke on a bass drum..for some reason my feet cant go that fast at a consistant speed while doing triplets....so im trying to learn the slide technique as an alternative method.
Gotta learn how to use your ankles, bro. It's the same motion as walking.
 
Top