Sleishman pedal

zen_drummer

CHIMPOaGOGO":a4nx70fc said:
im surprised that no one has ever thought about that before
Sleishman made the FIRST double kick pedal EVER, he was decades ahead of his time.

And he still makes goofy pedals.

zen_drummer

screamkevin":22sc3169 said:
That's wierd, but he may be violation of a trademark.
A friend of mine here in PA has a patent for that type of pedal, he already took down Sonor when they tried to incorporate his design into the Giant Step line.
Sleishman made the first double pedal in the late sixties, it was a modification of two speed kings.

By 1972, he had a production pedal on the market:

In 1973, Don Sleismhan was awarded a Patent:

United States Patent 3,750,517
Sleishman August 7, 1973

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DRUM PEDAL DEVICE

Abstract
A drum double pedal device comprising two beaters mounted in front of the drum, each of the beaters comprising a stem and a head. Two depressible foot pedals are connected to the beaters by means of a drive transmission. The beaters are mounted for swing movement about axes oriented in a manner such that the heads of the beaters are farther apart when remote from the drum than they are when in contact with the drum.
In 2004, Sleishman was awarded a second patent for his improved design:

United States Patent 6,734,350
Sleishman May 11, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twin pedal assembly for a bass drum

Abstract
A twin pedal assembly (1) for a bass drum (2), said pedal assembly including a base (3) adapted for connection to the drum. The base includes a pair of posts (11), each post being adapted to support a respective beater shaft (15). Each beater shaft is in turn adapted to support a corresponding beater (16), incorporating an elongate stem (17) extending outwardly from the beater shaft and a head (18) supported on the remote end of the stem. The head is adapted for contact with a strike zone (19) on the diaphragm or skin (2) of the drum.

Sonor still has the Giant Step Middle Pedal in their line-up:

I can't find a patent for your friends pedal... I searched Charles Fisher and the only Patent I see of his (six of them actually) are for guitar technologies which makes sense because his Tremolo device is really exceptional and novel... But are you sure his pedal is patented?

m

yeah, I own an offset pedal myself, and talked to the owner at NAMM.
I hadn't seen the Sleishman at that point though, so I'm not sure what the deal is there-

here's the pedal in its natural surroundings;

pics courtesy and with permission of Drumsmith.com/ron dunnett.

screamkevin

But are you sure his pedal is patented?
As far as I know it is. Sonor ripped his design and incorporated it into their Middle Step, but I was at my local music store the day that the Hohner rep came in and removed the MiddleStep pedals from the store. He said that they had run in to legal difficulties with Chuck (Charles Fisher) and that they were halting production of that pedal. They may have a bunch still in stock, and may not have updated their site lately, or maybe they got everything worked out, I don't know. I do know that Chuck is very protective of his design, and isn't afraid to take on the big boys.

zen_drummer

screamkevin":p00s9iu5 said:
Sonor ripped his design and incorporated it into their Middle Step, but I was at my local music store the day that the Hohner rep came in and removed the MiddleStep pedals from the store. He said that they had run in to legal difficulties with Chuck (Charles Fisher) and that they were halting production of that pedal. They may have a bunch still in stock, and may not have updated their site lately, or maybe they got everything worked out, I don't know. I do know that Chuck is very protective of his design, and isn't afraid to take on the big boys.
They probably did a license deal or something if indeed he had a patent for some of the key features. Sonor did the prudent thing by pulling the pedals from the stores while they sorted things out. On examination, the two pedals are freakishly similar... on the key points, too close, actually!

ozdrumnut

Hi.

I am new to this forum and posted in 'Twin Pedals'. Then I saw this thread and couldn't believe it.

I live in Sydney, Australia, play Sleishman Twin Pedals (Though not as new and good looking as the photo above. I'm calling them tomorrow about that!) and I'm honored to know the inventor Don.

Having played them for over 10 years, I am an absolute convert. These pedals are anything but goofy! I know Will Calhoun from Living Colour would aggree with me here! :lol:

The man has put his life into them and the way they play suggests as much.

With out doubt, these are the smoothest, most responsive and equal feel pedals I have ever played. I tried the Trick pedals a while ago as there has been so much hype, I thought I'd better see what the fuss is about. Not bad, but not even close.

Apart from the mirror image action, you sit directly in the center and for me, this rocks as my hands are directly above my feet and it feels very natural when Im playing unison patterns.

You can totally adjust the footplate spread.

I admit, it did take some getting used to the fact that my feet were in a different position to how I had played for the previous fifteen years. I got over it in less than a week and have never looked back.

I'm getting my hands on these new ones as soon as Don has them ready!

luvdog30

Hi, I have a set of Sleishman twin Pedals (the model before this latest one, although they look very similar), and they are absolutely mind blowing. They are with out a doubt the best pedals I have seen or played, and I honestly feel like I dont think i could drum the same with out them.

Some History.....About 15 years ago I came up with the idea of having a set of pedals almost exactly like the offset pedals(ie. with a pedal to the left and right of the beaters). I made a set using some Tama iron cobra pedals and machined up the center section etc. I was actually using my own set live for a couple of years, and still have them tucked away in my shed) the concept was great but the only thing that I struggled to deal with was universal joints and the inherant slop they have. I actually tried heaps of different universal joints to find some with the minimal slop. After lots of trial and error I setled for one universal joint on each pedal and had the pedals secured to an aluminium plate which worked well but was a little bulky. Still I used these pedals live and touring around australia for a couple of years. I had seriously thought about taking out a patent on the idea because it makes drum placement etc so much easier, comfortable, and visually appealing,but then........I stumbled upon Don Sleishman the inventor of the Twin pedal, I was blown away with the fact that he had come up with this concept over 30 years ago and had trialled a number of different versions until coming up with the design you see from the NAMM pictures. I got in contact with Don and told him about how passionate i was about the whole concept, and about his pedals.

Any way I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a set and have had them now for over five years. They are made out of aircraft grade materials, are super fast and smooth, have no universal joints, and just seem to conform to the natural positioning of your feet. They are really easy to pack up (they slit in two, and fit into a good sized bag). They are super tough, I have played them solidly now for over five years, live and at home, I never use any other pedal, and they are as good now as the day they turned up. For double kick players these are a dream, they are light, fast and both feet feel equal (ie. no slop on the left pedal like conventional pedals).

As far as set up on the kit goes, what you find is that you can centralise everything, snare sits directly infront of the kick, I have two rack toms directly above the kick, and because its all central your toms can sit a little lower, and your hi hat sits in nice and close, unlike conventional set ups where you need to reach out to your left a mile to reach the hats(especially with double pedals). Your floor toms also tend to be able to sit a little closer to the kick. I can get around the kit almost efortlessly with this set up...awsome.

Needless to say the idea of getting a patent for my initial concept went out the door because the Twin pedals are just supreme. I remember when i first saw the offset pedal being reviewed and advertised I had to have a bit of a laugh (no disrespect intended) because it was a concept that I was using years before, and because I new they just would not stand a chance when the Sleishman Twin pedals are released (unleashed!) for sale.

My only wish is that the rest of the drumming comunity had access to these pedals, I rave about them to every drummer i speak to, I just cant speak highly enough of them or Don(one awsome inventor). Awsome.