Ska drumming

Assback

I notice a lot of the drummers here are either old school (jazz and such) or metal heads. Not that anything's wrong with that. It just reminds me a lot of the drummers I know in real life. Just wondering if there are any drummers here that play ska. Personally, it's my favorite kind of music to play. Just curious to see if anyone else likes ska drumming too.

break the prism

i'm a fan of ska drumming, especially like the Skatalites. i like some newer stuff too.
i played in a ska band for a while. a christian ska band...which was kind of bogus because our trumpet player was an in-closet lesbian and our vocalist was banging our guitarist and our keyboardist along with a revolving door of other musicians.

but that said, yes. i'm a ska fan.

Whole Hog

I love some of the stuff that has spawn from the early ska and dub roots..

Op Ivy had great stuff, citizen Fish, the Specials..even the Clash blended that dub feel into a lot their stuff

and it's funny how each of those bands drummers all had very different style, ranging from punk to jazzy to very straight forward.

I can't say i like much of what came out of the 90's ska revival because it was all so poppy and bubble gum..

but none the less, generally those bands had great drummers...

lots of very fast 4 and 4 with that alternating hh...

I'm currently drumming in a ska/punk, alternative band and I love it. The drumming is so energetic and the overall style is just really catchy.

dwtoast72

x_dont_even_ask_x":njtvpi95 said:
I'm currently drumming in a ska/punk, alternative band and I love it. The drumming is so energetic and the overall style is just really catchy.
ska is some good stuff....damnit you got me listening to voodoo glowskulls....(I know, not really ska-ska...but ska enough...those dudes are great)

slingerland66

i havent drummed to some ska ina minute... i like jersey ska like Catch 22 ooo and the drummer from Streetlight Manifesto taught me everything i know about drum corp. hybrid rudiments... yea i know you dont care.

BillRayDrums

There's the "oldschool" guys and the younger guys. Then there's people like myself who don't really fit in to any of those brackets. I'm both a codger and a youngster. Dangerous for both camps, I suppose.

Whether you categorize your certain brand of drumming as Ska, Punk, Metal, Extreme, etc. it all involves swinging sticks and hitting things in a rhythmic manner.

Ska has the "skank" rhythm (pushing the upbeat out front like the hook on a sawblade). It's an urgency thing that drives the music.

So some of us may relegate our "feel" now and again to the back note of a triplet...doesn't mean we don't know what's up. I'm just as content to do that, because I know that something different always lurks around the corner!!

dwtoast72

BillRayDrums":3gxrtmmx said:
There's the "oldschool" guys and the younger guys. Then there's people like myself who don't really fit in to any of those brackets. I'm both a codger and a youngster. Dangerous for both camps, I suppose.

Whether you categorize your certain brand of drumming as Ska, Punk, Metal, Extreme, etc. it all involves swinging sticks and hitting things in a rhythmic manner.

Ska has the "skank" rhythm (pushing the upbeat out front like the hook on a sawblade). It's an urgency thing that drives the music.

So some of us may relegate our "feel" now and again to the back note of a triplet...doesn't mean we don't know what's up. I'm just as content to do that, because I know that something different always lurks around the corner!!
bill, dude....... I'm reading this post of yours and trying to avoid calling this a "defensive position"....

Rockula!

My only problem with Ska is that it gets old after a while
Like punk or metal
Not a lot of variance
Of course, you can point to the different flavors but it all goes back to the same style of drumming
Kinda like rockabilly/psychobilly etc...

BillRayDrums

dwtoast72":2mkex2p7 said:
BillRayDrums":2mkex2p7 said:

bill, dude....... I'm reading this post of yours and trying to avoid calling this a "defensive position"....
No defense at all. Just illustrating a point.

GiveItAll

Assback":d0zg6cdc said:
I notice a lot of the drummers here are either old school (jazz and such) or metal heads. Not that anything's wrong with that. It just reminds me a lot of the drummers I know in real life. Just wondering if there are any drummers here that play ska. Personally, it's my favorite kind of music to play. Just curious to see if anyone else likes ska drumming too.
i dont do old school,metal, or ska lol

my band plays punk with grunge elements...its really hard to classify so yeah thats the best i could come up with

Assback

GiveItAll":2hpjogw9 said:
Assback":2hpjogw9 said:
i dont do old school,metal, or ska lol

my band plays punk with grunge elements...its really hard to classify so yeah thats the best i could come up with
haha. Me too. Mostly punk but once in awhile we throw some ska in there. Oh and whoever said ska drumming is kinda repetative. I disagree. The thing I love so much about ska drumming is that I can play absolutely anything (blues, jazzy hi hat tricks, fast punk, simple 4 4) and it fits well. idk. Whenever I play ska it's just jamming and improv. Just coming up w/ shit on the spot and idk. No other music gets me playing so "out there".

Documbum

I am currently playing in a Ska band and LOVE it. With horns added into the mix of things and the energetic style makes playing with a band very enjoyable. Ska is a mix of many styles of music thrown together in to one style. With in one song the band I play with covers punk, funk, Rock, and disco. I have played almost every stye with a band some where down the 9 years I have been playing and Ska has brought the most joy to playing. It is very demanding as the drummer.

JohnRobMHIM

dunno if you'd call this ska exactly, but I used to idolize gold-finger's "hang-ups" cd. definitely some nice drumming on that album, really creative fills too.

and I love the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. again, not really ska, but awesome drumming and horns, ha.