single pedals

rufus4dagruv

king_friday":20vp7zki said:
am i the only one who thinks they are the way to go?
It depends on what the music you're playing calls for. For instance, my primary gig is my Reggae band. I never need a double pedal on stage for any of these gigs. I do have a double pedal that I currently only use as a practice tool.

king_friday

personally i dont think any kind of music needs double kick. i think the whole idea is kinda dumb. john bonham was able to do lots of the things that most people need a double kick for, using only a single pedal. in my opinion, straight 16ths done on the bass is just ridiculous

Howepirate

king_friday":11kct455 said:
personally i dont think any kind of music needs double kick. i think the whole idea is kinda dumb. john bonham was able to do lots of the things that most people need a double kick for, using only a single pedal. in my opinion, straight 16ths done on the bass is just ridiculous
Death metal NEEDS a double kick. It just works. It's like trying to climb a mountain with one arm when it comes to metal drumming with 1 kick.

Again, close minded bastard.

king_friday

Howepirate":27lseerj said:
king_friday":27lseerj said:
Death metal NEEDS a double kick. It just works. It's like trying to climb a mountain with one arm when it comes to metal drumming with 1 kick.

i think its funny that you know nothing about me yet you think i am close minded. metal is about the only kind of music that i dont like. i think its complete crap. and because i happen to not like this kind of music or this style of drumming i'm close minded? im sure you have your own views and opinions, do you not? doe's this make you close minded? no it does not, and why should it? just because my way of thinking may be a little different than yours, doesnt mean im close minded.

Howepirate

king_friday":3975dj9h said:
Howepirate":3975dj9h said:
king_friday":3975dj9h said:

i think its funny that you know nothing about me yet you think i am close minded. metal is about the only kind of music that i dont like. i think its complete crap. and because i happen to not like this kind of music or this style of drumming i'm close minded? im sure you have your own views and opinions, do you not? doe's this make you close minded? no it does not, and why should it? just because my way of thinking may be a little different than yours, doesnt mean im close minded.
I think its funny how metal musicians go after their own music with full intensity and yet try and play many other genres and styles while people like you think metal is tasteless and overdone. The fact is that you ARE close minded. You will ONLY play zildjian. You will ONLY play a single kick.

Your living in a new era. Drummers are better, faster, stronger, and more versatile. To bad you have the attitude that double bass drumming, drumsets bigger than 4 pieces are to much, and zildjian cymbals are the only thing out there for you.

Rob Crisp

Double pedals have their place, metal needs it. Gonna go with Howepirate on that one. And just because you have a double pedal doesn't mean you have to play non stop 16ths. I have a double pedal but at the mo I'm leaving the slave at home most the time, using it as a single.

I also agree on the comment about players such as Bonham who were masters of the single. And that is precisely why I am leaving the slave behind. I want to get the technique in one foot to play triplets, 16ths etc and it is coming along.

king_friday

Howepirate":2jjsjppq said:
king_friday":2jjsjppq said:
Howepirate":2jjsjppq said:
king_friday":2jjsjppq said:

I think its funny how metal musicians go after their own music with full intensity and yet try and play many other genres and styles while people like you think metal is tasteless and overdone. The fact is that you ARE close minded. You will ONLY play zildjian. You will ONLY play a single kick.

Your living in a new era. Drummers are better, faster, stronger, and more versatile. To bad you have the attitude that double bass drumming, drumsets bigger than 4 pieces are to much, and zildjian cymbals are the only thing out there for you.
no, im not close minded. you are just a god damn idiot.

SGarrett

king_friday":39v009hw said:
Howepirate":39v009hw said:
Howepirate":39v009hw said:

You do come off as closed minded.

king_friday

SGarrett":34jnf5cx said:
king_friday":34jnf5cx said:
Howepirate":34jnf5cx said:
Howepirate":34jnf5cx said:

You do come off as closed minded.
oh? and why is that? because i have my own opinion? im sorry i didnt realize that having an opinion makes one closed minded. if liking a certain kind of cymbal, or certain styles of drumming, and liking to play on a four piece kit with only a single pedal makes me cloesed minded, then so be it. i have my own views and if that means that im being closed minded then im ok with that i guess. i love all sorts of styles of music and drumming, from funk, to jazz, to punk, to reggae, to ska, to rockabilly, to classic country, to swing, and even bagpipe music. i marched in a bagpipe band for 5 years. and yes i do hate metal, i think it blows hardcore. its pretty stupid how you people think that not liking a certain kind of music makes me closed minded. are there no generes that you dislike? im sure there are. are you closed minded because of it? i should hope not.

Howepirate

king_friday":2vhqtc2o said:
Howepirate":2vhqtc2o said:
Howepirate":2vhqtc2o said:

Your just mad cuz i can see through your bullshit. Saying you one need 1 pedal for ALL drumming styles is completely and utterly incompetent and shows lack of understand of a lot of musical needs.

king_friday

Howepirate":2t8erwxd said:
king_friday":2t8erwxd said:

Your just mad cuz i can see through your bullshit. Saying you one need 1 pedal for ALL drumming styles is completely and utterly incompetent and shows lack of understand of a lot of musical needs.
HAHA, you make me laugh. my bullshit? whats my bullshit? i thinking saying that you absolutly have to use double kick to play death metal is bullshit. it might not be the same, but it could be done easily.

kylevater

king_friday":1n8kep60 said:
Howepirate":1n8kep60 said:

HAHA, you make me laugh. my bullshit? whats my bullshit? i thinking saying that you absolutly have to use double kick to play death metal is bullshit. it might not be the same, but it could be done easily.
my friend can play metal with 1 pedal
he showed me when i bought his set and only had a stock tama pedal

and howepirate always trying to be cool online by flaming people
ignore him

king_friday

kylevater":142uivbq said:
king_friday":142uivbq said:
Howepirate":142uivbq said:

ignore him
see this guy knows what im talking about.

Howepirate

kylevater":26308q69 said:
king_friday":26308q69 said:
Howepirate":26308q69 said:

ignore him
Kylevater is like 13 years old. Give me a fucking break.

And besides i said DEATH metal. Metal of the 80's only mostly required one kick. Since then people decided to actually use the extra bassdrum they had on their set that was their more for aesthetic purposes.

And if there was no double kick in metal....well thats just not metal. The genre has evolved and now pretty much everone in metal uses a double kick. You might as well be considered a nu-metal band if you only use one kick.

kylevater

Howepirate":184w1cqy said:
kylevater":184w1cqy said:
king_friday":184w1cqy said:

ignore him
Kylevater is like 13 years old. Give me a fucking break.

And besides i said DEATH metal. Metal of the 80's only mostly required one kick. Since then people decided to actually use the extra bassdrum they had on their set that was their more for aesthetic purposes.

And if there was no double kick in metal....well thats just not metal. The genre has evolved and now pretty much everone in metal uses a double kick. You might as well be considered a nu-metal band if you only use one kick.
your just proving our point more
you have no idea how old i am, how can you just say im 13? i dont go around saying your 9
even though thats how you look like online
metal can be either
even you said pretty much every metal
pretty much

SGarrett

king_friday":3hp2d51q said:
oh? and why is that? because i have my own opinion? im sorry i didnt realize that having an opinion makes one closed minded. if liking a certain kind of cymbal, or certain styles of drumming, and liking to play on a four piece kit with only a single pedal makes me cloesed minded, then so be it. i have my own views and if that means that im being closed minded then im ok with that i guess. i love all sorts of styles of music and drumming, from funk, to jazz, to punk, to reggae, to ska, to rockabilly, to classic country, to swing, and even bagpipe music. i marched in a bagpipe band for 5 years. and yes i do hate metal, i think it blows hardcore. its pretty stupid how you people think that not liking a certain kind of music makes me closed minded. are there no generes that you dislike? im sure there are. are you closed minded because of it? i should hope not.
You're lumping several genres together and saying that none of them have any value or even talent. Are the genres I don't like? No there aren't. Read the question my my signature. My answer is that I'm a musician and a very open minded one at that. As such, I find value in every genre. The fact that you have an opinion is great. The fact that you won't take anything else into consideration is what makes you closed minded. That's great though, more work for the rest of us. ;)

king_friday

well, then according to that garret guy, you are closed minded. which i think is bs if you ask me. i never said anything about metal being talentless, or about it having no value, many people love it. and more power to them, to each his own. but i dont happen to enjoy listening to it. garret, your putting mords in my mouth (or in my keyboard) i never said that metal bands are talentless, in fact theres TONS of talent in metal, lots of great drummers, guitarists, bassists, and singers. lots of musicians that are great at what they do. metal just isnt my style, thats all. and i guess if im closed minded for not listening to metal, fine. i can live with that.

PDP9000

The pedal depends on what style of music you play.
I play metal so i use double bass for almost everyone of our songs
but i do like to use single sometimes.