Single Foot speed help

I AR MONKEY

Hey you guys, this is my first time posting, but ive been looking around for a while now.

I wanted to ask how I could get my right foot faster or what I can do to help my technique on a single pedal. I pride myself on being pretty quick on a single bass, and I love it when people come up to me and go "holy crap...that was single bass dude?!" and its kind of my thing, but sometimes I feel like my foot comes and goes, and at times I know I can really go pretty quick on my strokes, but sometimes I just cant.

Recently my band had an important show, one that I was crapping my pants about beacuse my leg had been "acting slow" lately and I thought it wasnt going to be fast for the show, but turns out the day of the show I played the fastest I ever had, and accurate as well.

But, I lucked out, and dont want to leave our next shows (which are even more important now) to luck and chance.

There has to be a way for me to work on my foot technique and speed, beacuse if its just "sometimes I play really fast on a single bass drum pedal and sometimes I dont" then there is something im not doing correct.

help?

soliddrummer

bro, I'm in the same boat. all I know is that Thomas Lang, John Blackwell, and Mike Mangini have the same problem. I saw them in person when they said some days their feet are fast, and some days they just aren't. I guess you just have to practice all you can, then PRAY! ;)

I AR MONKEY

soliddrummer":2ohwpulg said:
bro, I'm in the same boat. all I know is that Thomas Lang, John Blackwell, and Mike Mangini have the same problem. I saw them in person when they said some days their feet are fast, and some days they just aren't. I guess you just have to practice all you can, then PRAY! ;)
blackwell and lang use double dont they?

Eh, I dont know man, its just scary that I might have a bad nite one nite, only cause of a random chance. I want my mess ups to be beacuse of my own fault and not random.

=/

Shalaq

I think you should work on independence. Play a straight rock 4/4 and play 8th notes, triplets and 16th notes with your foot. While you do this chomp quarter notes the hihat. When you do this try it with the hihats on the up beat. Then try to play the clave with the hihat. Then switch the technique from heel up to heel down(or vice versa). Repeat and turn the tempo 5bpms faster :)
I'd also suggest learning the heel-toe method. Combines your heel up and down speeds to one fast playing method.

Dale

First of all, I think you should play within your capabilities on the gig. You should think seriously about what notes you are playing. Fighting to keep speed up while on stage hardly makes for a tight band unit and the resulting performance. It may be better to strip your parts down first, so this does not happen again before another attempt in a live setting.

As for developing speed? Strangely enough speed is developed through slower playing whilst concentrating on accuracy first. Concentrate playing slowly, then as your practice time increases slowly increase your speed; perhaps by 10 bpm at a time.

Remember, fast and sloppy is still sloppy. Before speed control must be developed. Try using Colin Bailey's book on the subject. It's a classic.

It is always a good idea to play within yourself in front of an audience or other musicians. Especially other musicians. It is not good for them to see you, for want of another word, fail. It does not help one's reputation.

Good luck.

John Blackwell is a single pedal player.

His advice for gaining foot speed was to tighten your pedal to an uncomfortable level (in the practice room) and over time develop your leg muscles so that in time, it wont feel strange at all. He then said that if it affects your speed a great deal, at a gig, release the tension a little...it will feel like a new, light as a feather pedal.
He talks about his approach to playing and speed quite a bit on The Ultimate Drummers Day DVD (in Melbourne, Australia...i think its the 2003 or 2004 edition)....Thomas Lang is also on that DVD, and he also talks about independence... and his playing on that dvd....woah!

Llama_Dude

Tap the bottom of the pedal with the very tips of your toes really fast and you can go really fast.

I can do "Hot for Teacher" on a single pedal like that.

jbreshears

I AR MONKEY":3m84glj9 said:
soliddrummer":3m84glj9 said:
blackwell and lang use double dont they?

Eh, I dont know man, its just scary that I might have a bad nite one nite, only cause of a random chance. I want my mess ups to be beacuse of my own fault and not random.

=/
I kno0w for a fact that blackwell doesn't and thomas lang does but he is also fast with just one foot.....I too have the same problem and i actually bought some dvd's like thomas langs Advanced foot techniques, and i've been practing and it's starting to get better....good luck, also let me know if you figure something else out to i'm also open to new things to learn.

phoenix7289

Well, the heel-toe method is a really good method, considering, the fastest single pedal player uses it, Nicko McBrain... listen to the intro for Where Eagles Dare, if you can master that, I assure you, you can play any single pedal thing. I myself have gotten the heel-toe method down, where my heel is always in the air, it makes my speed insane, and I, like you, get responses from people, being amazed that it is just a single.